• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in India 2019

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did anyone listen to the harsha-manjrekar spat on commentary? What a douchebag sanju is, no wonder everyone despises the smug prick.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Santner says hello.

Its actually a very defensive move and something I hope to God they do not do. If we are playing 3 seamers and a spinner, it has to be Ashwin who can at least look like picking wickets. Jadeja, at home, over the last 5 tests, and in the Windies has been abjectly woeful with the ball. No amount of 50s and sword dances should hide that basic fact.
Think Jadeja's bowling performance will improve if he is the only spinner in the side. And he more than makes up for it with his batting. India will need to bat deep in NZ to win imo.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think Jadeja's bowling performance will improve if he is the only spinner in the side. And he more than makes up for it with his batting. India will need to bat deep in NZ to win imo.

Again, none of that means he will be a better option than Ashwin, with both bat and ball to be completely honest. Jaddu batting at 8 bats very differently to how he has batted at 6 or 7. I hope they take the positive route but we will just have to wait and see, I guess.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Santner says hello.

Its actually a very defensive move and something I hope to God they do not do. If we are playing 3 seamers and a spinner, it has to be Ashwin who can at least look like picking wickets. Jadeja, at home, over the last 5 tests, and in the Windies has been abjectly woeful with the ball. No amount of 50s and sword dances should hide that basic fact.
You are underselling Jadeja quite a bit. He has not been exactly terrible with the ball. There has not been any overly spinning pitches this year and he has 21 wickets at 35 in 8 matches. Add to it his batting and another key aspect which always gets ignored ie fielding and he gets in easily.

He can more than make up the loss in bowling in overseas pitches compared to Ashwin (which I already believe is very very minimal) by his batting and bowling.

Next year, we are winning our matches overseas with the pacers, not spinners. Our spinners couldn't buy a wicket even in India right now :D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol... first of all, they don't get a bowl. And when they do, Rahane keeps dropping catches. And honestly 21 wickets at 35 is not a good record. I am not underselling Jadeja, I am just pointing out the fact that he has actually been crap with the ball, especially over the last 7 tests. Stats are one thing, its obvious when you watch him bowl he is absolutely doing nothing in the air or even off the pitch. Ashwin has looked like picking up a wicket every spell he has bowled in. Its a simple choice really.

harsh.ag

Agreed his bowling has looked off colour. But then again, he hasn't had to bowl much + knows the side doesn't rely on him to take wickets. That has an effect, one would think.

Ashwin has definitely looked better. But Ashwin won't look so good in NZ. The role required is that of a holding bowler plus good batsman and Jadeja right now is a far better batsman than Ashwin, especially if India are in trouble. If Jadeja can be arsed to put some revs into the ball, he's the better pick.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Time to remind people that Ashwin has actually not played any tests in NZ and there is as much evidence that his bowling will work as there is that his bowling will not work. And no, I would rather pick the bowler more likely to put revs on the ball and get me wickets than the one who has to be seen if he can be "arsed" to do that.

As I said, if it is for #8, my clear choice is Ashwin as you need the better bowler then. If it is for a #6 with someone like Bhuvi playing at 8, then it is Jadeja.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Did anyone listen to the harsha-manjrekar spat on commentary? What a douchebag sanju is, no wonder everyone despises the smug prick.
Based on what I read, this is what happened. Harsha was making a point on how the visibility of pink ball is poor and wanted to understand cricketers' perspective on the same. Manjrekar insisted that there were no issues with the visibility, and when the discussion continued for a while, rudely mentioned that Harsha should take the words of someone who has played the game and has a fair understanding of what is happening in the middle. Bhogle came out of the argument gracefully stating that playing at the highest level should not be an impediment or limitation to learning.

Manjrekar is the most disgraceful bloke in cricketing circles you would ever see. Was evidently a mediocre cricketer for everyone who watched him but stoops to another level as a commentator.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with Bhogle, the pink ball has its problems. Manjrekar, even though he has played at the highest level, never played in a D/N Test match.

harsh.ag

Time to remind people that Ashwin has actually not played any tests in NZ and there is as much evidence that his bowling will work as there is that his bowling will not work. And no, I would rather pick the bowler more likely to put revs on the ball and get me wickets than the one who has to be seen if he can be "arsed" to do that.

As I said, if it is for #8, my clear choice is Ashwin as you need the better bowler then. If it is for a #6 with someone like Bhuvi playing at 8, then it is Jadeja.
Well, I think he will be arsed to do so when he is the sole spinner and actually has serious bowling responsibilities. Plus he will be batting at 7. Can see a situation where he helps push India from 200/5 to around 350.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Ashwin will revert to spearing balls in when the team will call on him abroad, guaranteed. I'd rather have Kuldeep in the side.

sunilz

International Regular
If we have to pick one spinner then it should be Kuldeep yadav imo . Have people forgotten he took 5 wkt haul in his last test at Sydney something Ashwin has never done even once in his career in SENA countries. Have people forgotten southampton test in 2018 where Ashwin was completely out bowled by Moeen Ali .

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't realise until now that India are coming back here next summer. Normally I'd object to repeat tours so close together but man, given the trajectory of the two sides that is going to be some series.
Preview to the test championship final, I dare say.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
m gonna say it again. Jadeja as the lone spinner in a 4 man attack is just asking for trouble. As a matter of fact, he seems to be concentrating more on his batting himself. It was instructive what Kohli said in the post match presentation - " Our spinners can take wickets overseas as well". I hope that line of thought stays.
Im still tempted to go with ashwin over jadeja because hes flat out a better bowler, but agree that vihari should play regardless. He offers an additional troll spin option too.

He's seriously unlucky not to have got these home tests to pile up some easy runs
Agree with both of you. Kohli is messing with confidence of the best spin bowler we have. Ashwin should play in a four man attack. One batsman short will be a travesty too. It's one thing for Jadeja to score 80s in India, quite another to negotiate NZ conditions. Vihari ought to be back.