• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in India 2019

Shri

Mr. Glass
We need to play Vihari overseas. He'll be fine at 6 IMO. Rohit and Agarwal's techniques will be heavily challenged in New Zealand. NZ is even more of a finger-spinner's graveyard than Australia so I think we should go with Jadeja, whose good batting form gives him the edge over Ashwin. I just don't see a situation where a skilled spinner will have a chance to bowl us to a win over there, because the pitches just don't break up. We need a defensive spinner who can give the quicks a break and keep the runrate to a minimum.

Agarwal
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Vihari
Jadeja
Saha
Ishant
Shami
Bumrah

Umesh desperately unlucky to miss out, but what can you do.
too many bats tbh

agarwal
rohit
pujara
kohli
rahane
jadeja
saha
umesh/ashwin
ishant
shami
bumrah

long tail but **** it

if it is a pitch where 6 bats fail one more is probably not going to help

and that is a group of bowlers who are in the form of their lives so lets not brek them up but set them free to hurt ****s instead

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, these NZ pitches have a nasty habit of easing out after a session or two, we need batting depth. One extra batsman can be the difference between getting bowled out for 150 and out of the match in 2 sessions vs. scraping 300+ and staying in with a chance.

OverratedSanity

Im still tempted to go with ashwin over jadeja because hes flat out a better bowler, but agree that vihari should play regardless. He offers an additional troll spin option too.

He's seriously unlucky not to have got these home tests to pile up some easy runs

vcs

Ashwin's a better bowler due to his variety, but I feel NZ just wouldn't suit his style. He needs the pitch to give him some assistance because he doesn't get as many revs on the ball or overspin as the likes of Lyon.

vcs

Maharaj had great success over there a few years back, it would be interesting to see how he bowled on that tour. Apart from him, I can barely remember a spinner doing anything noteworthy in NZ for years. Harbhajan bowled well when we won over there in 2009.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly, it would be great to have all 4 pacers and Vihari + Rohit to bowl some spin to give them a break + for the over rate.

Burner

International Regular
India are primed for the overseas cycle. As ready as they could be imo. Great set of players, a number of them being present when they bottled the previous one. Will have to win both in NZ and Aus to be really remembered as a great team imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Maharaj had great success over there a few years back, it would be interesting to see how he bowled on that tour. Apart from him, I can barely remember a spinner doing anything noteworthy in NZ for years. Harbhajan bowled well when we won over there in 2009.
Lyon did well on his single tour there (10 wickets @ 22.6) but admittedly 2 Tests is a tiny sample size.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I definitely think India have to go in with four bowlers. They will need the batting depth in NZ. Even (gasp!) if it means four pacers. But I think I would still pick Bumrah, Sharma, Shami and Ashwin.

What's the deal with Prithvi Shaw? Are we going to be able to see his form in domestic cricket prior to the tour now that he is back in the fold? He might be a good pick to take in the squad, even if he doesn't play.

Last edited:

Daemon

Jadeja did well in England in the one Test he got as well as in Australia in two games. The way spinners have gone in NZ recently makes me think we just need the spinner to hold one end up, which Jadeja is better at. Athlai posted a ridiculous stat today which said that NZ had taken 100+ wickets in a row from fast bowling at home until Santner broke it today. Those factors, along with Jadeja's batting tilts it in his favour for me.

If we didn't have a good pace attack I'd be much more tempted to play Ashwin because he's a better bowler, but also more likely to not turn up. No need to run that risk.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jadeja did well in England in the one Test he got as well as in Australia in two games. The way spinners have gone in NZ recently makes me think we just need the spinner to hold one end up, which Jadeja is better at. Athlai posted a ridiculous stat today which said that NZ had taken 100+ wickets in a row from fast bowling at home until Santner broke it today. Those factors, along with Jadeja's batting tilts it in his favour for me.

If we didn't have a good pace attack I'd be much more tempted to play Ashwin because he's a better bowler, but also more likely to not turn up. No need to run that risk.
If you're going to do that, I'd rather just play four pacers. Yes, the workload can be an issue, but it's a short series.

Daemon

If you're going to do that, I'd rather just play four pacers. Yes, the workload can be an issue, but it's a short series.
I mean it's not literally bowl over the wicket on leg stump hold one end up, he's just tighter in general, even when he's being attacking.

vcs

Just realized that Bangladesh lost two Tests in less than (or approximately) five days of cricket. This series somehow managed to be even more one-sided than the SA one preceding it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We need to play Vihari overseas. He'll be fine at 6 IMO. Rohit and Agarwal's techniques will be heavily challenged in New Zealand. NZ is even more of a finger-spinner's graveyard than Australia so I think we should go with Jadeja, whose good batting form gives him the edge over Ashwin. I just don't see a situation where a skilled spinner will have a chance to bowl us to a win over there, because the pitches just don't break up. We need a defensive spinner who can give the quicks a break and keep the runrate to a minimum.

Agarwal
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Vihari
Jadeja
Saha
Ishant
Shami
Bumrah

Umesh desperately unlucky to miss out, but what can you do.

Santner says hello.

Its actually a very defensive move and something I hope to God they do not do. If we are playing 3 seamers and a spinner, it has to be Ashwin who can at least look like picking wickets. Jadeja, at home, over the last 5 tests, and in the Windies has been abjectly woeful with the ball. No amount of 50s and sword dances should hide that basic fact.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuinely surprised to find out that this was a WTC series. Clearly I have not been paying attention enough