• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

vandem

International 12th Man
What sports are all the 6'4 - 6'7 Nz athletes playing? It definitely isn't cricket.

Our bowlers performed admirably, though the gulf in class is obvious.
I suspect Boult and Southee would have caused the Aussie top order problems if they had been able to start under lights.

Meridio

International Regular
Got to be disappointed with how soft our wickets have been. There's been some very demanding bowling and all, but the actual wickets themselves have been largely batsman error.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What an awesome day’s play. The night session just adds another dimension to test cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
What an awesome day’s play. The night session just adds another dimension to test cricket.
Really is the future, especially here in Australia if it's going to be three billion degrees by noon in summer more often than not going forward. I don't get the doubters.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really is the future, especially here in Australia if it's going to be three billion degrees by noon in summer more often than not going forward. I don't get the doubters.
And you can make your way down to the ground on the way home from the beach or the shops.

But it gives the bowling sides two cracks a day. You get the new rock early and unlike in a day game where the final session is cash in time, the ball starts misbehaving final session with a new ball late as well.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah Australia genuinely seems like the perfect place for evening/night cricket. No dew unlike Asia, more pleasant temperatures than in the daytime unlike England a lot of the time, and the twilight period probably helps to make conditions less batter dominant than they'd otherwise be.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
New Zealand obviously well behind the 8-ball, but it's not a totally insurmountable challenge with the Hazlewood injury. Key will be if these two can get through the first hour or so tomorrow. Will really put them back in the contest.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Fearsome stuff from Starc. I think the length of time NZ had to bat today somewhat worked in his favour because he was able to go really flat out in that second spell and not have to worry about conserving too much energy. On the other hand, Australia were forced to bowl Wade and Lyon which made things a bit easier for NZ (though Taylor did well not to let Lyon settle);those two were both getting set when Starc returned, so to take out KW and create the opening was just brilliant.

NZ got to believe they're not out of it, get through the first session and there's still some batting to come. Will take some doing though even assuming Hazlewood is absent.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
They did have a chance against the middle order tbf. Or at least Southee did.
Tbf, 10 overs after slogging away for 5 hours in 40 degree heat is an altogether different scenario to a 32 over session after 2 days in an air conditioned dressing room.

In any case, NZ all but done. I don’t trust Santner to offer much of anything against Starc, which means its BJ-Boss or bust. And as we’ve seen throughout, there’s just enough in the wicket to always keep the bowlers in the game. My only real hope is the two of them will be able to keep Australia in the field until close o tea tomorrow, which would stop the game from being a blow-out, and give the bowlers a session under lights - though even then I’m not sure how much Southee and Wags will have left in the tank after the past 2 days.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
In any case, NZ all but done. I don’t trust Santner to offer much of anything against Starc, which means its BJ-Boss or bust.
On the contrary, de Grandhomme to top-2 score from No. 8, you'll see. A free and easy Julio looking right at home with the bat in this series. He and Clarkson then combine to become a Devine and Bates duo of future BBLs.