• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah agree with all of that, silly idea.

In saying that is there anything stopping NZ from sending Ferguson out as an opener, have him headbutt the ball, and then replace him with another bowler?
Concern about the well being of a player?

wrongun

Banned
That’s complete garbage. The concussion substitute is in place to prevent life threatening injuries. It’s not there to allow teams to select undercooked players who may or may not be fit enough. That’s not even discussing how easily exploitable it would be

Probably one of the worst ideas I’ve seen discussed on here tbh
Not at all. Injuries during a game are part of sports and are beyond a team's control. I am not claiming the concussion sub is on par w this. There can be measures put in place to avoid exploitation. Have an injury report before each game and get an ICC doctor to check those out. If a player shows up, then no substitutions will be afforded if he or she is selected. Other sports do it, its not rocket science. Get with the times.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
We fought hard all day despite a number of things going against us. Shows the spirit and caliber of this side. We really needed an extra wicket tonight. As it is, we now need to make inroads early tomorrow otherwise it could be another long day with a bowler down and the prospect of being exposed under lights in the third session. Now that I think about it, Australia's first session at us under lights will probably decide the result of the test match.
Yep, they were so close to getting one or even two more last night which would have left the match close to even, but it just didn't happen. Especially needed Labuschagne off that uppercut - he seems the type to just bat and bat and bat today now that he's rested up overnight. I can see Head biffing runs at a quick rate today too. Fatigue from this heat has to set in for the bowlers at some stage so there's always the risk that it gets ugly.

Still, immense effort from our guys, led by Wagner in one of the most impressive performances of his career. Bowling length without being floaty, getting a bit of swing and the occasional knuckleball are all great additions to the bouncer barrage and willingness to run in hard all day (TM) with big heart (TM) that we all admire. Losing Ferguson ****ing sucks though, sure he was a bit loose but should still have 1/47 and would be a constant threat to the lower order.

There were comparisons at times to day 1 of the Brisbane test last time we toured, but there was a serious difference in the captaincy, plans and tenacity of bowlers this time. Then we went to funky plans and lost discipline, whereas here the bowlers always looked in the game even when it was 2/200, with an approach to test the batsmen or the willingness and (mostly) ability to bowl dry when needed.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1 more wicket and it would've been even stevens. I feel tomorrow will be the Marnus show. If we get him early we'll have a chance.

Don't forget Starc can pull a 90 out of his arse every so often. Won't be as easy as England's much vaunted tail.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Relax.

It's not a landslide, but Aus clearly infront at this stage.
I'm relaxed thanks, but also resigned to our inevitable crushing defeat. So...relaxed but deflated.

Really feel for Ferguson. He's been made to wait forever for his test debut and he's now out of it on day one. Even if he somehow manages to bowl again it won't be at full tilt.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Australia's batting is pretty bad, a lot rests on Marnus' shoulders in getting them to a commanding lead. Game is still fully on

wrongun

Banned
Australia's batting is pretty bad, a lot rests on Marnus' shoulders in getting them to a commanding lead. Game is still fully on
Agreed. Not a stretch to say that. Get Marnus out early and Paine is a dead duck followed by Starc being the only hint of batting. Game is very much on.

vandem

International 12th Man
... There were comparisons at times to day 1 of the Brisbane test last time we toured, but there was a serious difference in the captaincy, plans and tenacity of bowlers this time. Then we went to funky plans and lost discipline, whereas here the bowlers always looked in the game even when it was 2/200, with an approach to test the batsmen or the willingness and (mostly) ability to bowl dry when needed.
Agree 100%.

We also have more control with CDG as 4th seamer. Neesham in Brisbane 11-1-50-1. CDG yesterday 16-6-24-1. Neesham career test RPO 3.7 versus CDG 2.4.

ataraxia

International Coach
Didn't get to watch much of the match but it seems like we are in an okay position. The 4 no.8's in a row shouldn't trouble us too much. If we get Labu early then I feel like we have the edge.

Howsie

International Captain
Concern about the well being of a player?
Nobody could realistically get hit on purpose obviously, unless you were a complete nutter. Still it would be a bit of a farce that a guy who can’t really compete in this test match anymore could be replaced by going out there and hit.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not at all. Injuries during a game are part of sports and are beyond a team's control. I am not claiming the concussion sub is on par w this. There can be measures put in place to avoid exploitation. Have an injury report before each game and get an ICC doctor to check those out. If a player shows up, then no substitutions will be afforded if he or she is selected. Other sports do it, its not rocket science. Get with the times.
Get with the times?

You would make selection a complete farce

Put this idea in the bin. It’s terrible

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah NZ fought well but Aus definitely on top. Not sure how you could see that as honours even.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Agree 100%.

We also have more control with CDG as 4th seamer. Neesham in Brisbane 11-1-50-1. CDG yesterday 16-6-24-1. Neesham career test RPO 3.7 versus CDG 2.4.
Mark Craig 31-3-156-0
Mitchell Santa 20-3-65-0

Santa wasn't even bowling particularly well until the 3rd session either. Need to keep in mind that Yasir Shah was treated with absolute and utter disdian by Australia and ended up going at 5 per over, and he is easily better than any wicket taking spin option NZ has ever had.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah New Zealand are sitting as pretty as they could hope to be in considering the injury to Lochy and the fact that Australia have a set bloke on a hundred out there. Smith and Warner are both back in the sheds (and together they can easily set Australia up with a 2-300 start) and Australia are 4 down in the 200s. It's anyone's game at the moment, even if Australia is marginally ahead.

What I love about New Zealand's bowling yesterday is that they realised that they couldn't blast Australia away and so they played disciplined cricket. Wagner in particular was super impressive, but all the bowlers did a very good job.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smart cricket from the kiwis. Realistically they are a team of club cricketers and in no universe should they be competing but they are thanks to discipline and immense effort.

the big bambino

International Captain
Lol @ Burgey randomly taking offience to a very basic and factual post. And others'. I just meant it has happened often with Steve Smith where he gives you that one chance (unless its Pune and he gives you 6) and you drop it, he makes you pay. Forget getting out, he does not even look like getting out. Its like that one mistake gets him to be switched on even more.

But sure, go ahead find a negative in a positive comment. Standard fare for Burgey and some other one eyed Aussie posters here, obviously.

And lest I forget, Marnus.. :wub:

And Southee was pretty good too. For NZ's sake, hope he has a good day tomorrow and runs through the Aussie line up. Else, NZ are cooked and can only hope for a batathon draw at best.
Nah it was junk. Blokes who average over 50 aren't known for their brain fades. Though I agree Smith isn't batting well at. The problem seemingly a proportionally low output versus balls received and therefore a poor return for all his concentration. I think he's reacting to that frustration.

Wish there was a substitution rule. IIRC currently it only applies to concussions?
That’s the worst idea
Its a good idea. Practically every other sport has limited substitutions for injuries. Your response is the kind of harrumphing tut tutting and old think you'd expect from the gin slinging dodderers at Lords.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not to keen on joking about the idea of deliberately getting hit to get a concussion. Am keen on pretending to have a concussion though. Lockie should watch some Jordan Peterson vids for a few hours.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That’s complete garbage. The concussion substitute is in place to prevent life threatening injuries. It’s not there to allow teams to select undercooked players who may or may not be fit enough. That’s not even discussing how easily exploitable it would be

Probably one of the worst ideas I’ve seen discussed on here tbh
I mean there's a well established precedent for this from the days when runners were still allowed - i.e. if you go into the match under a pre-existing injury cloud you can't have a runner for an aggravation of that injury. The same would apply for a substitution rule.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
The idea that anyone would go out to get deliberately hit on the head is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. Seriously.