• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Who averages 33.57 in Australia and 30.59 in India? I dunno man.
He might've improved in recent times or it might be due to the fact India have produced some ragers recently over Australia's tours. I don't know, but for the majority of his career I recall him being distinctly outbowled by even his Australian spinning partners during tours of India (and the UAE and SL).

Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

FWIW I like Lyon as a spinner.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He might've improved in recent times or it might be due to the fact India have produced some ragers recently over Australia's tours. I don't know, but for the majority of his career I recall him being distinctly outbowled by even his Australian spinning partners during tours of India (and the UAE and SL).

Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

FWIW I like Lyon as a spinner.
He's improved in his subcontinental style in recent times quite a bit IMO. Was genuinely great the last time he visited India and Bangladesh (though kind of struggled in the UAE, which might be down to those wickets being somewhat flatter and the fact that he had little support).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He's improved in his subcontinental style in recent times quite a bit IMO. Was genuinely great the last time he visited India and Bangladesh (though kind of struggled in the UAE, which might be down to those wickets being somewhat flatter and the fact that he had little support).
right yeah I haven't really been keeping up.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah, I remember him talking about how he'd changed his style to 'bowl dirty' in subcontinental conditions and it seemed to work pretty well, especially in Bangladesh

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Posted this in another thread but more appropriate here:

Assuming everyone is fit, these are my ideal XI's for NZ.

Perth Test:

Raval
Latham
KW
Ross
Nicholls
Watling
CdG
Santner
Southee
Wagner
Boult

MCG/SCG:

Raval
Latham
KW
Ross
Nicholls
Watling
CdG
Santner
Ferguson
Wagner
Boult

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would rather have Ferguson at Perth than the MCG/SCG.

In fact, Southee being our best exponent of reverse, I think we should try out best to have him at the SCG.

I also think Kuggeleijn should be in the squad, and potentially play over CdG.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Blasphemy.
I really like CdG and think he's brought immense value to the side, particularly at home. But if our horses-for-courses selection policy that's served us so well for the better part of a decade can't see fit to drop a dibbly-dobbly no rounder (I mean that in the most endearing way possible) for a tour of Australia, I think that'd be a failure.

ataraxia

International Coach
I really like CdG and think he's brought immense value to the side, particularly at home. But if our horses-for-courses selection policy that's served us so well for the better part of a decade can't see fit to drop a dibbly-dobbly no rounder (I mean that in the most endearing way possible) for a tour of Australia, I think that'd be a failure.
FTR, CDG's FC bowling average and batting average are both better than Kuggs'. And I don't think Kuggs has ever played in Australia anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
kuggs is a spud who is just as likely to bowl 134kph long hops as send down heat and cdg has proven himself one of the better allrounders on the planet.

plus there's no way you want kuggs at #7 in a test match.

the only way kuggs gets in the team is if we give bay 13 the court reports and free rein to discuss it with him on the boundary. that will ensure 150kph.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Till Root finds his form back and Anderson is back in full form, I will say India, Australia and NZ are clearly the top 3 sides now. Any test series between these 3 sides should be mouth-watering.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Kugz strikes as one of those players who's a FC very good and a test match dud. The fact that he's still averaging 31 in FC cricket after 70+ games is not a great sign, and if he were to replace Colin not only would we lose a holding bowler, the batting would also be badly weakened.

CdG managed to grab a few wickets in the UAE and SL by wobbling it around on a good length, I wouldn't rule out the potential for him to do the same in Australia (especially under the Perth lights).

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I just think the pink ball is more likely to swing, so best to have Southee in for that test.

MCG/SCG are more likely to be flat, hence the need for both Wagner and Ferguson. The thought of those two bowling in tandem is mouth-watering. Feels like this could be the best chance we have to beat in Australia in Australia in some time.

No way Kuggs gets in the squad for mine. Would rather have Neesham back in there tbh. But CdG's batting will be the most crucial in Aus I think, a couple of lower order knocks from him could ice the cake or pull us out of the hole.

I know it's a different format but remember a T20 at the SCG a couple of year ago where everyone else struggled but CdG read the pitch beautifully and got about 35* in a total of 115ish.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Kuggeleijn would get massacred debuting in Australia.

Even Bond struggled in his first few tests over there.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Ferguson has to play every test match imo.

I think i have PTSD from Lyon and Starc's batting at Adelaide. I can easily see Cummins making good scores down the order unless you have someone who can bowl heat.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is literally no reason the pace attack shouldn't be Wagner, de Grandhomme and Ferguson. The enforcer, the daddy, and the wheels. Keep the bucktooth and the only man who seems to enjoy doing up his top button out of this victory march.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is literally no reason the pace attack shouldn't be Wagner, de Grandhomme and Ferguson. The enforcer, the daddy, and the wheels. Keep the bucktooth and the only man who seems to enjoy doing up his top button out of this victory march.
:laugh:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
CDG just has too many attributes for this to ever happen. He's actually one of the best pure batsmen in this side, it's just that he gets it wrong mentally sometimes. And we all know he can biff it if he's given a platform.

And if it swings with a pink ball he's very handy, then even if it doesn't he can perform a holding role.

Kuggle will never be an international cricketer in any format. Mark my words. He bowls gun barrel 140km pace which international batsmen have no issue with, and he's a very inconsistent hitter who might have a 30 in his once every series or two. If you want an alternative, pick Neesham.