• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Jezroy

State Captain
Yeah I guess as exciting as it is that Ferguson is playing, if he (or any other bowler for that matter) gets it wrong, it's just spanked by Davey Dumb Dumb in the Great Southern Land.

Latham has really improved (opening in tests) over the last couple of years, so will be good to see how he goes against a genuinely very good attack.

Raval - will he be okay? He does like to cut, so maybe the wickets in Aus will suit him? Hopefully he doesn't bottle it. If he averages 30 in this series I'll be happy. Unless he makes 180 in 1 innings. Then that'll be quite annoying.

Kane and Ross should be fine.

Nicholls hopefully on the upward trend.

BJ at #6 I think has stepped up even more with that greater responsibility. Love that little ****.

Santner - still very unconvinced. Feel so much like "Vettori was a handy player for us, and he's similar" is around this guy - ie. containing spinner and handy lower order bat. I personally think it's a good thing if he doesn't bowl much, then that means we don't need him.

CDG - I think his bowling will be solid throughout the series (and maybe even better under lights in Perth). Worry about his batting vs genuine pace, but he won't hold back if they go short to him, and if the wickets are pacy that ball could fly.

Wagner - can't wait to see what he does in the cauldron of Australia. Just a champion.

Southee - his figures have been pretty good in recent times, but I still don't feel like he's going to up to much this series. He'll still average around 50 with the ball in Aussie.

Boult - if he's not ready, don't play him. Still got 4 big tests to play after this one.

Henry - lovely handling of the Powerade hopefully

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Even if NZ are to do well in the series, we will be absolutely crushed in the first test. That's just the way it is for most visitors in modern cricket. Dont doubt it, we'll get annihilated over thext 3 days.

Still reasons to look forward to boxing day and new year tests. 2 weeks and a FC game to get it sorted.

Athlai

Not Terrible
No way NZ can be destroyed in the first 3 days when Henry is going to keep the boys so well hydrated.

Howsie

International Captain
One thing I will say is thank god Nine lost the cricket over there. Watching this Hobart replay from 2011 the commentating is ****ing horrendous.

The Hutt Rec

It’s funny to think back to this series in 2015, the NZ supporters (although I wasn’t on this forum at the time) were super confident and predicting a total destruction of Australia.

Now I think we have a far superior team and everyone seems very down in the dumps about our changes.

I’m going to predict our temperament, tactics, grit, experience and playing personnel are all much better, better than Australia’s as well, and we will take out a 1-0 or 2-0 series victory. Bring it on!!!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It’s funny to think back to this series in 2015, the NZ supporters (although I wasn’t on this forum at the time) were super confident and predicting a total destruction of Australia.
Nah, not really - looking back at the thread most of the predictions for the tour were 2-0 or 2-1 to Australia. We were a lot more brash and confident about the return series in NZ though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing I will say is thank god Nine lost the cricket over there. Watching this Hobart replay from 2011 the commentating is ****ing horrendous.
Consider it payback for us having to listen to Ian Smith and/ or Jeremy Coney while watching NZ series.

Though tbf i thought he was excellent at the end of the WC final this year

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ian Smith is a great commentator when it's a good contest. Very poor when it's one-sided though, but I can't be too mad about it because the bloke just can't help but get emotionally invested in the game. I'll take a whinging Smithy sooking for 2 days over utterly benign commentary from "too afraid to say anything interesting" ex-cricketer of the month 38

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, but you can't rationally excuse him being too invested in the game, then turn around and pillory commentators from elsewhere for cheer leading. You really aren't too mad about it because he follows your outfit. Which is fair enough, but just own it.

Edit: but certainly better than Healy, as an example. Or Warne when not talking spin bowling. Though nails down a blackboard is better than Healy.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Nah, not really - looking back at the thread most of the predictions for the tour were 2-0 or 2-1 to Australia. We were a lot more brash and confident about the return series in NZ though.
Must have just been outside this forum, then.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, but you can't rationally excuse him being too invested in the game, then turn around and pillory commentators from elsewhere for cheer leading. You really aren't too mad about it because he follows your outfit. Which is fair enough, but just own it.
Didn't bring up cheer leading once ITBT

Spark

Global Moderator
I certainly remember a lot of brashness and in-hindsight-hubris before 2015 but I think that was mostly restricted to a handful of posters. kiwiviktor being the worst offender in that regard.

The Hutt Rec

Edit: but certainly better than Healy, as an example. Or Warne when not talking spin bowling. Though nails down a blackboard is better than Healy.
Geez you’d have to have lost your marbles to prefer Healy/Warne/Healy/Nicholas to Smith, no matter what side you’re supporting.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm the most optimistic Kiwi poster and I don't think even I was saying we'd win. I thought we had a chance going in of winning and was excited at the theoretical prospect of NZ #1 in Test Rankings but I don't recall anyone being particularly brash about our chances

Athlai

Not Terrible
Geez you’d have to have lost your marbles to prefer Healy/Warne/Healy/Nicholas to Smith, no matter what side you’re supporting.
It isn't that Healy/Warne/Nicholas are partisan that makes them grating, sure its part of it, but even great commentators can wear their flag. You see the real sin these blokes commit is that they're idiots as well as being ****wits. They don't try to know whats going on in the current national set up of their own team, let alone the opposition team. Half the time they talk about their own career because one time 5 or 15 years ago someone, somewhere was amused by an anecdote. We get it, you're old ****s that get paid to talk ****. At least pretend to be a ****ing professional. They're the utter pits. Well besides Nicholas, his sin is that he is entirely innocuous and has lost any semblance of having had a personality outside of "English voice that supports Australia in games they play".

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm the most optimistic Kiwi poster and I don't think even I was saying we'd win. I thought we had a chance going in of winning and was excited at the theoretical prospect of NZ #1 in Test Rankings but I don't recall anyone being particularly brash about our chances
Haha you most definitely were not the optimistic Kiwi poster at that time IMO.