• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Everyone's talking about it so I may as well make the thread.

Dec 12, Thu - Dec 16, Mon Australia vs New Zealand, 1st Test Perth Stadium, Perth, 0500 GMT 1300 AWST 1600 AEDT 1800 NZDT

Dec 26, Thu - Dec 30, Mon Australia vs New Zealand, 2nd Test Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, 0000 GMT 1100 AEDT 1300 NZDT

Jan 03, Fri - Jan 07, Tue Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Test Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney, 0000 GMT 1100 AEDT 1300 NZDT

Mar 13, Fri Australia vs New Zealand, 1st ODI Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney,
0330 GMT 1430 AEDT 1630 NZDT

Mar 15, Sun Australia vs New Zealand, 2nd ODI Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney, 2330
GMT 1030 AEDT 1230 NZDT

Mar 20, Fri Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI Bellerive Oval, Hobart,
2330 GMT 1030 AEDT 1230 NZDT

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The timing of the ODI's is so strange. Having to wait two months in a time where most people are in footy mode doesn't work at all.

Starfighter

The timing of the ODI's is so strange. Having to wait two months in a time where most people are in footy mode doesn't work at all.
Blame India. Also the footy would be better if it just stayed in its half of the year, rather than taking about 1 1/2 months of the other half too.

The stranger thing is the actual timing of the tests. Why are they starting at 11:00 rather than 10:30?

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Blame India. Also the footy would be better if it just stayed in its half of the year, rather than taking about 1 1/2 months of the other half too.

The stranger thing is the actual timing of the tests. Why are they starting at 11:00 rather than 10:30?
To **** with kiwis

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hate to say it, but reckon this will be Aus 3-0. NZ's best hope is for Soult to reck Australia under lights at Perth, but really I think the conditions will neutralise NZ's bowling and that Australia's marvellous bowling attack will be way too good.

jcas0167

International Debutant
yeah we always flop in aus. 3-0 aus, even if we thrash england (which we will).
Tbf, last time drew in Perth and would have won the D/N test if Nigel Llong hadn't ****ed up. Major mistake not playing Wagner on that tour too.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Just hope Stead has more guts to pick the right men for the job and not based on what happened 4 years ago, which is what the Bracewell selection felt like.

Really hope Patel and SomersSomerville play Sydney too, but I have a feeling they'll want Santner for batting cover.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Just hope Stead has more guts to pick the right men for the job and not based on what happened 4 years ago, which is what the Bracewell selection felt like.

Really hope Patel and SomersSomerville play Sydney too, but I have a feeling they'll want Santner for batting cover.
Nah, I don't think they'll pick Santner. Stead has shown during his tenure he's prepared to pick the right teams - ie dropping Southee. Mitchell Santner, as much as I like him, we're not winning in Australia with his 1-80 off 35 and 20-30 down the order. Patel has to play all three Tests and yeah, potentially Somerville in Sydney.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Raval
Latham
KW
Taylor
Nicholls
CDG
Watling
Wagner
Ferguson
Ajaz
Boult

But they will definitely give Santner and Southee some games...despite how ineffective they most definitely will be. And I'm afraid that it will come at the expense of Ferguson and Ajaz. Southee at this point should ONLY play on green seaming/swinging pitches in tests. That's it. He shouldn't even be anywhere near the T20 squad but NZC are always doing their best to groom him for something and keep him involved no matter what. He's definitely got pictures of somebody doing something suspect.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Raval
Latham
KW
Taylor
Nicholls
CDG
Watling
Wagner
Ferguson
Ajaz
Boult

But they will definitely give Santner and Southee some games...despite how ineffective they most definitely will be. And I'm afraid that it will come at the expense of Ferguson and Ajaz. Southee at this point should ONLY play on green seaming/swinging pitches in tests. That's it. He shouldn't even be anywhere near the T20 squad but NZC are always doing their best to groom him for something and keep him involved no matter what. He's definitely got pictures of somebody doing something suspect.
I'd pick Southee for Perth under lights, he's done absolutely nothing to lose his Test spot.

Ferguson we all want to see play at some stage, but he's not the incumbent. And I'd say he'd be taking Wagner's spot, if anything as first change.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Somerville will be selected over Ajaz - bounce not sidespin, Aus experience and can bat a bit. Easy decision.

But why are we discussing spin when the fast bowlers are the ones that will make or break the tour? Didn't realise Perth was under lights, in that case definitely retain Southee. Would love to see Ferguson at the boxing day test though.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I’d have thought Will “Somers” Somerville would be first pick spinner for this series.

I would be surprised if Santner is even in the squad, I think his test cards were stamped for a while after his epically ineffective first test against Sri Lanka.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, a bit surprised most people seem to think that Ajaz is the incumbent for this series. Sommerville's bounce and experience would make him my first choice. No way Santner is close to being picked for this series.

Starfighter

I do wonder if the fact that Smith eats off spinners for breakfast, lunch and dinner would be in their minds though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might as well just pick whichever spinner can bat/field well because none of them are going to do **** with the ball

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah basically. When was the last time a visiting spinner did well across an entire series, rather than a single innings?

Ajaz is the incumbent. I feel like the home series vs England will sort out which spinner will be number 1, and if there needs to be any last minute replacements for Raval. Santner will probably make the squad too.

I'm just glad we do have Stead/Williamson combo because we won't see anything daft like 4 seamers and Santner with Nicholls opening.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah Santa isn't there to win matches with the ball. He's there because he can keep it tight and dry up runs at one end. No spinner is going to win a match for us in Australia. So Santa should be there as one who won't lose it for us