• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The Jamieson selection looks like NZ has a clear plan and selection policy regarding players which I quite like compared to the ad-hoc nature in the past when players didn't know if they'd be batting middle order or being asked to open, or there'd be some real wtf emergency picks when panic stations were reached. I feel like it probably instills some sort of confidence in the players in that they probably know whats going to happen and can prepare, and not be told you'll be stripped of captaincy the night before a test match.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
The tour game will be one of those godawful 14-15 a side games from what I've heard, no FC status

Interested to see what sort of team the Vics cobble together, assuming nobody with a BBL contract plays
Vics could have Travis Dean (c), Will Pucovski and Andrew Fekete from Shield side I think. The rest would need to be U19 or grade players.

NZTailender

whatever happened to Adam Milne?
Got injured, hasn't really played himself back into contention. Might take him a few years and then he'll just get ignored ala Bennett.

I really hoped Wheeler would be more of a thing tbh.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The tour game will be one of those godawful 14-15 a side games from what I've heard, no FC status

Interested to see what sort of team the Vics cobble together, assuming nobody with a BBL contract plays
If the warm-down game is micky mouse, then Boxing Day test will also be a write-off. Series won't start proper until the Sydney test .....

I don't care if its a Victorian 3rd 11 disguised as Victoria in a match designed to keep tourists occupied around BBL TV scheduling. As long as it is 11 a-side, 4 days (or just 3 dayer with Xmas being a complication), and FC status.

If not, seriously considering dumping my TV subscription just one month after I switched it back on, sick of watching teams doing half-arsed prep then getting stuffed on the big stage. Otherwise it's all over before they even know it.
I need to know they're committed for me to buy in.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Vics could have Travis Dean (c), Will Pucovski and Andrew Fekete from Shield side I think. The rest would need to be U19 or grade players.
Perhaps a couple of their young quicks like Crone Perry and Herb Jr may get a look in. Fekete is pretty mediocre really, even more so now that he's lost half a yard of pace

If the warm-down game is micky mouse, then Boxing Day test will also be a write-off. Series won't start proper until the Sydney test .....

I don't care if its a Victorian 3rd 11 disguised as Victoria in a match designed to keep tourists occupied around BBL TV scheduling. As long as it is 11 a-side, 4 days (or just 3 dayer with Xmas being a complication), and FC status.

If not, seriously considering dumping my TV subscription just one month after I switched it back on, sick of watching teams doing half-arsed prep then getting stuffed on the big stage. Otherwise it's all over before they even know it.
I need to know they're committed for me to buy in.
Agreed. If it isn't a FC game, its little more than glorified centre wicket practice

Last edited:

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
boult is 145kph absolute tops in odis, and his test flat deck old ball spells are low 140s. he's returning from injury, don't expect pace lol
Haha forgot it was white ball format when he bowled the house down, I do remember it was 147km and my eyes lit up, Sky probably didn't have the money on speed guns these days.

Got injured, hasn't really played himself back into contention. Might take him a few years and then he'll just get ignored ala Bennett.

I really hoped Wheeler would be more of a thing tbh.
Saw him at the T20 final in Feb and he and Ajaz were destroying other teams that season, can't believe he is disappearing again in the new season, surely T20 WC in AUS would be his gig especially Ferguson's now joined the broken fast bowler club.

Corey Anderson seems to be doing a reverse Jimmy Neesham too, was hoping he'd just take up full time batting, maybe even opening.

And saw Ravindra doing really well, hope he get a start in the national side soon.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
boult is 145kph absolute tops in odis, and his test flat deck old ball spells are low 140s. he's returning from injury, don't expect pace lol
do you mean max or on average? because I've very rarely seen him hit 140 regularly in any spell

NZTailender

Is it they're just getting older or a coaching thing? He regularly hit 140s when Bond was bowling coach iirc.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
do you mean max or on average? because I've very rarely seen him hit 140 regularly in any spell
It wouldn't be average but not all that uncommon either. Can bowl in the high 130's - low 140's in tests, but if there's any swing or movement on offer he tends to pull his pace back and operate around 135.

Flem274*

123/5
wheeler was an annoying situation. playing a talented left arm swing bowler who sucks at white ball cricket in international t20 was always going to end in tears given enough chances.

though tbh it's ultimately on wheeler to get his head in order and recover. boult, henry, ferguson etc have all had their pastings in white ball cricket and risen above it.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
too bad Henry won't get much game time this year due to limited ODIs, he's on the bench for red ball and not the best for T20. He kinda just found out how to be a brilliant opening bowler vs big teams in high pressure situations, all that growth and confidence put on ice for a year or 2.

Athlai

Not Terrible
too bad Henry won't get much game time this year due to limited ODIs, he's on the bench for red ball and not the best for T20. He kinda just found out how to be a brilliant opening bowler vs big teams in high pressure situations, all that growth and confidence put on ice for a year or 2.
ODIs don't count for 4 more years.

nzfan

I’m glad they picked a bowler to replace a bowler and not send a batsman over. That would have meant they panicked. Happy to see K Jamieson get a go. Likely replacements for Lockie would have been between Jamieson, Kuggeleijn, Tickner. They went with Jamieson as Tickner is injured and Kuggeleijn is not in the greatest of the form at the moment.

Off field selection would have been Ben Sears or Nathan Smith. Ben Sears likely is the second fastest seamer in the country and Nathan Smith puts good numbers on board both with the bat and ball consistently. Ben Sears is I think still injured but would have been amazing to see him go at it against the Aussies. Likely he would have been on par with Aussie seamers at least on the pace account.

Raval will likely go and they will bring in Tom Blundell. I don’t believe these stop gap arrangements will work in the long term. Maybe a short term solution but not a long term one.

I would have thought there is so much hype around Ravindra and gut feeling says he's not going to be ready for another season. That said revisiting his stats makes me realize there's no point waiting around.

Sure there is a bit of Wellington bias but I think they should go with Ravindra after this series and not be deterred by him not having a first class hundred. The lad scored 72 on debut vs Pakistan A followed by 64 vs Pakistan A in Dubai, a serious 96 against ND when they had in their bowling line up Ish Sodhi and Kuggeleijn, On debut in Plunkett shield opening the batting he scored 83 vs CD with a stacked CD bowling line up of Tickner, Patel and the likes. He also scored 76 and 28* I presume vs Otago the first game of the season. Let’s be honest if by chance he had converted three of the above scores to 100s would it have changed much in terms of his batting quality? I think not getting massive scores have helped him improve. Without the downs there is no way for young cricketers to improve. I think the selectors should not kid around and get him in the team from the next series onward. Besides when has he really failed with the ball either? Recently he’s done so well in the one dayers and T20s. His ball to Guptill on a flat track doesn’t that suggest he’s special with bat and ball. I don’t know what we are waiting for with him, few extra runs wouldn’t have proved anything more that we don’t know about. What about his one day as well, debut in ford trophy 36 ball 50+ batting at the top of the inning, follows it up with a 103 ball 130 vs Auckland taking on Lockie Ferguson, Kyle Jamieson and Will Sommerville. Firebirds delayed his selection to super smash T20s last year for long and the first game he came in as no.8 batter and bowled 4 overs for 32 runs with 3 wickets. Took out the entire top order in his very first T20 game. The most staggering of the fact is he’s never slogged. I have most likely watched every ball he has played in domestic cricket but never seen him slog once. BTW all of the decent scores he's made have come on absolute green seamers not your run of the mill flat tracks.

In between he's been out to Matt McEwan, Foxcroft (twice) and few other bowlers you wouldn't consider as bowling greats. Matt McEwan is not a bad red ball bowler to be fair.

I don’t know of any cricketer in NZ that has come in and done as much to a team as this kid. Any team he plays for he’s guaranteed to become an important cog in the wheel at least so far. I think we are being very conservative here and hoping someone will hold his spot for a while. That someone unfortunately is not necessarily of his quality and likely we will not find another one of this kid’s quality for years to come. What’s the point fussing around? When was the last time we had a player that batted at the top of the order and bowled full quota of overs in domestic particularly at the start of their domestic career?

Similar thoughts I have about Ben Sears and how well he has settled into domestic cricket but likely will be knocked over as Wellington bias :D That’ll be for another day.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I would absolutely leave Ravindra in domestics for the rest of the season, then next season have another look at him while also considering whether Young or Conway are genuine opener options.

The selection approach taken with Williamson is the template - debuted Nov 2010 aged 20 yr 3 months, but he didn't have a great time until the hundred against South Africa March 2012 when he was nearly 22. Looked up Ravindra's age and he's just turned 20, still a little shy of when Williamson debuted. And yet to score an FC hundred. Give him two seasons to reach and then start to outgrow domestic level imo.

nzfan

I would absolutely leave Ravindra in domestics for the rest of the season, then next season have another look at him while also considering whether Young or Conway are genuine opener options.

The selection approach taken with Williamson is the template - debuted Nov 2010 aged 20 yr 3 months, but he didn't have a great time until the hundred against South Africa March 2012 when he was nearly 22. Looked up Ravindra's age and he's just turned 20, still a little shy of when Williamson debuted. And yet to score an FC hundred. Give him two seasons to reach and then start to outgrow domestic level imo.
Will scoring runs in domestic cricket make a better cricketer than he already is? I don't think so. Purely having watched him he's of a different class, we are being silly here trying to equate him to other players that came before him. How do we know he's not better than Kane? Maybe he will be the best ever we had. Prior to Kane, Martin Crowe didn't go as well as people thought when he made his debut at an early age but Kane aced it. Maybe this lad will ace it too. Probably better suited against world class players than first class bowlers? Just maybe :D

In any case it's just my opinion... just hoping Black Caps don't lose the next test like they did in Perth. Wouldn't really care who plays and who doesn't as long as the results are coming.

Last edited:

nzfan

Oh I have massive faith in Devon Conway, if selectors don't fuss around and pick him right away when he's qualified he will give 5 to 7 good years at least. William Young will likely need to settle into it slowly I guess, it's not like he can rehab, come in and start middling the ball right away. He will need to get back to training, find his groove again and slowly ease into it. I think they should not rush him. We know he's quality player, just give him time to settle down after the injury. He will need some training quantity and get his eye/hand back to be at his best again.

Why aren't we talking about Henry Cooper? He's been quite solid over the last couple of years and is an opener. If we are so conservative with Ravindra we should try Cooper.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
I would take Ravindra to WI (3 ODI + 3 T20, to ease him into Black Caps squad, similar approach to Latham) and Ban (2 test, instead of Santner as 3rd spinner with Ajaz + Sommerville - but may not make playing XI if CDG is preferred).

The Hutt Rec

Will scoring runs in domestic cricket make a better cricketer than he already is? I don't think so. Purely having watched him he's of a different class, we are being silly here trying to equate him to other players that came before him. How do we know he's not better than Kane? Maybe he will be the best ever we had. Prior to Kane, Martin Crowe didn't go as well as people thought when he made his debut at an early age but Kane aced it. Maybe this lad will ace it too. Probably better suited against world class players than first class bowlers? Just maybe :D

In any case it's just my opinion... just hoping Black Caps don't lose the next test like they did in Perth. Wouldn't really care who plays and who doesn't as long as the results are coming.
Dunno if you could say Williamson aced it, he averaged 31 after his first 25 tests.

Interestingly if you take those away, he'd average 63.9. But of course he wouldn't have had that earlier experience, so might not have done as well.

But if Williamson came along again, I might have delayed his debut a bit longer. Didn't help that he was coming into a rubbish team, though, which wouldn't be the case now.