• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Spark

Global Moderator
Still really surprised that Boult gets off as easily as he did wrt messing up that catch in the WC final. Hold onto that and NZ are completely home and hosed, but it seems rarely discussed.

Wrt the spinner discussion, if your spinner bowls 25 overs and takes, say, 1/60 or 2/70 then their average will look crap but in most circumstances, they've done their job in restricting Aus to a very manageable score in Aus conditions.

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
Think I'm well due an apology to Southee. Was all aboard the "Tim is useless in Australia" train but he's a much smarter, more accurate bowler than back then even if he has lost 10kph of pace.

Reckon the smart selection for Melbourne would be Somerville. If we're going to take a test deep we'll need someone who can exploit the left armer rough, and he's likely to be just as economical as mitch. Given the record of touring leggies in aus I can't think of a worse selection than tastle.
Hand up over here too. I thought he should be the one to make way for Ferguson. But at the moment you would only play Ferguson if you wanted 4 seamers plus CDG, or if there was an injury.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
tbh we just need to bat better. the middle order is proven around the world, they need to find a way. it's less technical incompetence and more the change from the england series motorways against broad, some guys inexperienced away from home and the mercenary sook to perth against an attack up for a scrap.
I agree with this. No need for NZ to overthink it, just accept they were outclassed and simply need to handle Starc and co. better. Utilize the break and warmup game well. The opener change needs to be made though, if not the spinner, good luck arriving at a solution which works though.

Jezroy

State Captain
I don't think that's what happened. Santner bowled beautifully in the first innings during the Labuschagne/Smith partnership. He gave very little away and was a big part of why Smith struggled in this match. I doubt Patel or Somerville would have been as effective bowling to those 2.
Yes but he doesn't get people out. That's the point. And we still have no idea how Patel or Somerville would do as they generally have only had opportunities in the SC/UAE (apart from Patel having a bit of a go in NZ on some unhelpful wickets).

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Worth remembering Somerville has played more FC cricket in Australia than anyone actually in the squad by quite some distance. Only Ross Taylor probably would even be close.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worth remembering Somerville has played more FC cricket in Australia than anyone actually in the squad by quite some distance. Only Ross Taylor probably would even be close.
Yeah it's a bit of a meme to use the "knows the local conditions" excuse, but there's a reason why most touring finger spinners get smashed but some of the Aussie ones maintain decent records in Australia. And Somerville's Shield average is a lot better than Lyon's, lol.

Moss

Mark Craig's career never recovered after a mauling during the 2015/16 series, I wonder if they decided offies are redundant in Australia. Considering Somerville comfortably outbowled Santner in Sri Lanka.. To be fair I think the selectors indicated long back that they saw Somers/Ajaz mainly as SC options.

thundaboult

International Debutant
not a bad plan tbh. bad kuggs is gabriel level trash but motivated kuggs is scary, and when he gets sledged on certain topics...

however, southee is an excellent test bowler. now that i have made this concession, it is time for you to be sensible and recognise he is no longer odi standard.
Yup, agreed. He did bother a pretty decent indian line up in that 3rd t20 where he got clocked at 149.7...a ball on which he was smashed for 4 down the ground though...lol. But the rest of his spell was venomous. Bounced out Hardik after making him hop around a bit. Was good fun.

Southee for tests only. I know they will keep him around for the t20's as well but as we saw vs eng in the t20's, his variations won't do jack against even a half decent batting line up. His spot should be Tickner's. Let him do all the variations.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
really happy for lyon having a good run of it now

he had an atrocious time in the ashes series, and even tho nobody smart would consider dropping him, i reckon that tbh he was one bad home summer from warne banging on the swepson drum so thank **** we’ve avoided that

Immenso

Steve Smith should take up dramatic miming after his cricket career finishes, he has a natural talent.

No one in the stadium or watching on telly are ever left in any doubt that something bizarre beyind his control has happened each time he plays a false shot .

The Marcel Marceau of cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
VVS Laxman was a good exponent of that. Every time he got out his reactions would have you think he just played the ball of the century.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes but he doesn't get people out. That's the point. And we still have no idea how Patel or Somerville would do as they generally have only had opportunities in the SC/UAE (apart from Patel having a bit of a go in NZ on some unhelpful wickets).
Noone NZ pick is going to get people out here. They're just likely to go for more runs than Santner and release any pressure being built at the other end

Jezroy

State Captain
Noone NZ pick is going to get people out here. They're just likely to go for more runs than Santner and release any pressure being built at the other end
I suspect that you’re correct.

But I also think it’s better to try something than do nothing, when it’s just not working with Santner.

Jeet Raval got more wickets in this test than Santner. Jeet. Raval.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair I think the selectors indicated long back that they saw Somers/Ajaz mainly as SC options.
I guess this is my major issue with this whole thing. It's almost like deficit theorising. I keep hearing that Somerville and Patel won't be able to tie Australia down, that they won't take wickets, etc. How are we ever going to develop a spinner under this line of thinking? Santner gets to enjoy a lack of competition because the other two don't get the opportunity to develop.

The Hutt Rec

I suspect that you’re correct.

But I also think it’s better to try something than do nothing, when it’s just not working with Santner.

Jeet Raval got more wickets in this test than Santner. Jeet. Raval.
Raval also went at a much lower RPO than Santner which is where this theory that he’s some sort of defensive bowling genius that can’t possibly be replaced falls down.

Immenso

Raval also went at a much lower RPO than Santner which is where this theory that he’s some sort of defensive bowling genius that can’t possibly be replaced falls down.
Probably not true if your just comparing the 2 on the same day pitch they were bowling on. Not that I've checked this.

Last edited:

Moss

Jaimeson named as Ferguson's replacement, so no additional call-ups for the opener's or spinner's slot I suppose.