• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Starc's 'revival' as a red ball bowler makes me what sort of bowler Steve Finn could have been.

To be fair.

Starc now has 238 wickets @ 26.97 ~ SR of 47.

Given his GOAT ODI record, it's unsurprising he appears to be the best D/N test bowler in the world so far.

He seems to be just about hitting his peak at around 30 years of age.

If we play more D/N cricket moving forward, which is certainly likely.

He may end up with 400+ wickets @ 25ish given his average has been trending right down over the last 2 years......

He's going to go down as one of the best left armers ever, especially factoring in his ODI record.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd like Pattinson in for Haze at Melbourne. A shame Lockie has gone home. If he was fit it would have made an interesting choice for seamers with Boult returning. Ferguson's pace gives NZ variety and I'd have kept him and benched Southee. Which would appear unfair as Southee bowled exceptionally well at Perth and had easily his best game against Aus. Its just that he is perhaps NZ's 4th best on this tour when moving from pink to red ball. However NZ's pace attack will still be strong for Melbourne though they'll be hoping for some life in the pitch.

I think CdG works as a bits and pieces player (I reckon he's better than that really - but that's his role) because he's neither the side's main batsman or bowler. He comes in to shore up the batting and bowling innings, fill a breach type of a player. However Santner is the side's main spinner and appears to given a role that's probably a little too big for him. Especially on this tour when you have to Vettori standard atleast. I know he's not touring but Sommerville has the best credentials to fill that role and if he was able to be picked, should be.

Just a note on the commentators, how does Time Lane get a gig? **** I hate him. I mean Brayshaw is bad but Lane just smarms an impression of haughty superiority. He's neither funny or informative. He's like the boring guy who strikes up a conversation and you can't get away from him. Wasn't he also the guy who made it a condition of his employment that Eddie McGuire stand down from commentating Collingwood games in the AFL. I mean what a hide to make someone effectively recuse themselves for perceived bias in commentary. Its not the High Court ffs. Yet here he was commentating with the likes of Ponting who was an Aussie captain and recently involved in the Aussie team set up. The guy's just a ****ing jerk.
Tim Lane is basically tv's Jim Maxwell, who's also a supercilious pontificater of the highest order.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Our boys just won't win a test series in AUS for a long, long time. I really hope I'm proven wrong. But at this point it looks unlikely. We haven't even beaten AUS in tests at home ...let alone beat them in thier own backyard.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Those commentators must be on a different network to what we got in NZ.
Channel 7 (FTA) vs. Fox (Pay)

At least this means I don't have to listen to Mark Howard or Mark Waugh, but the commentary really degraded over the course of the test, and I'd swear Tim Lane spends his time looking up clichéd lines to spout.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Confirmed Ferguson out for the rest of the series - knew it was very unlikely but had a tiny bit of hope he'd be back for the third test. So disappointing to barely see him bowl this series and I'm sure when it's flat in the next two tests it'll be back to the familiar refrain of 'wish we had someone to bowl 145 to make something happen here'.

Very interested to see who they pick to replace him in the squad though.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Those commentators must be on a different network to what we got in NZ. Honestly don't know how people put up with Kerry O'Keeffe - bloke is an absolute punisher who isn't that funny.

Also Mark Waugh is horrendously bad which makes me sad as he was one of my favourite players growing up.

Isa, Hussey, Vaughan, Howie and Smithy were all pretty good though, can't really fault them.
Agree with all that. Overall pretty good coverage (although I don’t really enjoy the emphasis on on-field audio, I had enough of that when I used to play).

O’Keefe is like a David Brent character, definitely his own biggest fan of his comedy stylings.

Just on Raval, to me the guy looks absolutely mentally shot. I don’t think we’re doing him any flavours by playing him again. Funny that Vincent being our last opener to score a ton in Aus was brought up, because he was a makeshift replacement for Matthew Bell who looked equally destroyed. Time for a change, I think.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The annoying thing re Raval is that it's not like he's an utterly fundamentally flawed opening batsman like Guptill or Peter Fulton, who would always get out in front with hard hands and edge to slips every day of the week. Raval does play the ball later and at times has looked like your typical left handed opener, mostly leaves, defend tight and flick runs off pads.

However the two problems are a) just imo a little short in pure hand-eye/talent compared to others at this level, and b) now mentally gone, has lost confidence and lost discipline too.

Spark

Global Moderator
Those commentators must be on a different network to what we got in NZ. Honestly don't know how people put up with Kerry O'Keeffe - bloke is an absolute punisher who isn't that funny.

Also Mark Waugh is horrendously bad which makes me sad as he was one of my favourite players growing up.

Isa, Hussey, Vaughan, Howie and Smithy were all pretty good though, can't really fault them.
There are two cricket broadcasters in Aus. Channel 7 does it on FTA, and Fox does it on pay TV but Fox is CA's "primary" broadcast partner so literally everyone but C7 - including all overseas broadcasters - has to use the Fox broadcast or footage.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Confirmed Ferguson out for the rest of the series - knew it was very unlikely but had a tiny bit of hope he'd be back for the third test. So disappointing to barely see him bowl this series and I'm sure when it's flat in the next two tests it'll be back to the familiar refrain of 'wish we had someone to bowl 145 to make something happen here'.

Very interested to see who they pick to replace him in the squad though.
Ben sears, lol.

At this point I'd send Kuggelejin if anything. And Milne basically fell off the planet so bleh. Here's seriously hoping they send Somerville instead. Replace Santner with him and Boult comes in for Ferg.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can’t believe Wade hasn’t uploaded a picture of his bruises yet. Weak insta game smh.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
There are two cricket broadcasters in Aus. Channel 7 does it on FTA, and Fox does it on pay TV but Fox is CA's "primary" broadcast partner so literally everyone but C7 - including all overseas broadcasters - has to use the Fox broadcast or footage.
Same situation as the NRL then, we get the Fox coverage ... which is far far better than tired old Nine’s efforts.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I was going to say, once he gets used to conditions and bowlers, he'll probably fare better - but his career stats suggest otherwise. Averages 39 in the first test of the series, and 22 in the second. In the 3rd match of a series (just twice, **** our schedules), he does average 44 so maybe he'll come good in Sydney? :laugh:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
While certainly not a ***y selection, there's gotta be an argument that Astle is as good as or better than Santner at basically all of Santner's roles
Tastle's more likely to go at 4s than Santner imo. But also, probably more likely to take a wicket.

Jukesy

Cricket Spectator
Would this be a smart 11 for the next test? I've never seen Mitchell bowl but he's listed as an all rounder? And that assists with strengthening up the batting also.

1. Latham
2. Ravel (last chance)
3. WIlliamson
4. Taylor
5. Nichols
6. Watling
7. Mitchell
8. De Grandhomme
9. Southee
10. Wagner
11. Boult

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ben sears, lol.

At this point I'd send Kuggelejin if anything. And Milne basically fell off the planet so bleh. Here's seriously hoping they send Somerville instead. Replace Santner with him and Boult comes in for Ferg.
Haha, was literally just thinking this. Doubt it will happen mind. I don't think they'll send for a fast bowler either - there's no one in FC cricket who really demands a call up, and they still have Henry on standby if one of the big 3 goes down. More likely that they'll fly in Rutherford or Seifert instead.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Would this be a smart 11 for the next test? I've never seen Mitchell bowl but he's listed as an all rounder? And that assists with strengthening up the batting also.

1. Latham
2. Ravel (last chance)
3. WIlliamson
4. Taylor
5. Nichols
6. Watling
7. Mitchell
8. De Grandhomme
9. Southee
10. Wagner
11. Boult
At the expense leaving a badly unbalanced bowling attack. You need a spinner in Aus, Mitchell's bowling will offer nothing and KW/Raval won't cut the mustard. Even picking Santner again is a better option imo.