• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Alec Stewart on The Cricket Debate seems to have a real-chip on his shoulder. Basically saying that other than Williamson, what NZ player would get in the England XI??? I mean, c'mon!!!
Lol classic delusional England melt-down comment.

- Watling is probably the best keeper-batsman in the world. Completely delusional to not have him over Buttler.
- Taylor is also better than most other English batsmen bar Root. He walks into the England team.
- Nicholls also walks into the England batting lineup
- Boult is better than any current English bowler, maybe Broad historically has a case. I like Curran but he's essentially Boult-lite. This is not a conversation.
- Wagner would be at least in the conversation, as would Southee
- Even the likes of Latham and Santner have cases.

Now that I think about it, Stokes and Root are the only English players that would definitely make a combined team.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
More great analysis from Dobell

BJ Watling's resistance should prove an inspiration to England's batsmen. There is no individual stroke he can play that Root, for example, cannot. But he seems to prepared to concentrate harder and work for longer. Put simply, England weren't greedy enough with the bat.
Yes, George. Joe Root - one of the 4 best batsmen in the world and a modern great, can certainly play as many shots as BJ Watling. And Jofra Archer can bowl faster than Mitchell Santner. Do you think maybe we're not making like-for-like comparisons, here?

Do you think maybe you were a bit quick to eat up the "I'm just a limited player" comment from BJ Watling? You know, after seeing the range of reverse sweeps to the boundary and ramps over third man he started playing once he wanted to accelerate, or considering the fact he first made the side as an opening batsman, or that he made plenty of age group sides and limited overs sides over his career.

Nah, he's probably just more of a battler. That's probably it.

ataraxia

International Coach
More great analysis from Dobell

Yes, George. Joe Root - one of the 4 best batsmen in the world and a modern great, can certainly play as many shots as BJ Watling. And Jofra Archer can bowl faster than Mitchell Santner. Do you think maybe we're not making like-for-like comparisons, here?

Do you think maybe you were a bit quick to eat up the "I'm just a limited player" comment from BJ Watling? You know, after seeing the range of reverse sweeps to the boundary and ramps over third man he started playing once he wanted to accelerate, or considering the fact he first made the side as an opening batsman, or that he made plenty of age group sides and limited overs sides over his career.

Nah, he's probably just more of a battler. That's probably it.
Ya. England weren't greedy enough. Watling = greedy

Flem274*

123/5
in our own conditions and in asia england will struggle to get many in a combined side. in england, sa and australia they've got it better. we have a good team, albeit one that will probably still get creamed by average australian and south african sides in their own backyards (as we will see soon).

if these two had to team up to tour aus im taking broad no question. he loves a fight against the aussies. he and wagner are the first two bowlers on the team sheet.
According to The Cricketer podcst; CdG also wasn't bowling in last half of the day due to injury.
balls
Despite leaving him out, I am a fan of the big Kiwi all-rounder, made the absolute most of the talent he has.
stop going off tired stereotypes.

cdg is 33 and bowls canny mediums, but he's easily one of the most talented, most natural timers and strikers of a cricket ball in the world. he is an immense talent, only held back by his stupidity and inability to read leg spin.

people need to watch this **** actually bat, and this spray is directed at kiwis too. the technique is good, the timing always on point and the power effortless.

old blokes can be talented and play like dumb young blokes. that's the charm of cdg. smartest, trolliest medium pacer in the world and one of the most gifted but extremely stupid batsmen.

i love watching him in a situation where he has to dig in like he did here because i enjoy the pain on his face when he's not allowed to try to hit curran for six every ball.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd pick Broad ahead of Southee, but its worth mentioning that the former still averages 37 in Australia. He's had his good days, but he really needs the duke to be a destroyer. If I were to pick a 3 man combined attack to go to Aus it'd probably Anderson, Archer and Wagner.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
in our own conditions and in asia england will struggle to get many in a combined side. in england, sa and australia they've got it better. we have a good team, albeit one that will probably still get creamed by average australian and south african sides in their own backyards (as we will see soon).

if these two had to team up to tour aus im taking broad no question. he loves a fight against the aussies. he and wagner are the first two bowlers on the team sheet.

balls

stop going off tired stereotypes.

cdg is 33 and bowls canny mediums, but he's easily one of the most talented, most natural timers and strikers of a cricket ball in the world. he is an immense talent, only held back by his stupidity and inability to read leg spin.

people need to watch this **** actually bat, and this spray is directed at kiwis too. the technique is good, the timing always on point and the power effortless.

old blokes can be talented and play like dumb young blokes. that's the charm of cdg. smartest, trolliest medium pacer in the world and one of the most gifted but extremely stupid batsmen.

i love watching him in a situation where he has to dig in like he did here because i enjoy the pain on his face when he's not allowed to try to hit curran for six every ball.
Colin's innings here was probably one of his most accomplished ever. He was executing the textbook stuff with aplomb.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
archer too likely to randomly bowl 130kph nothings imo. his stocks have decreased in my eyes since debut.
There would be a risk undoubtedly, but I can guarantee that the Aussies would like facing him less than any of the various fast-mediums that would play in his place. I know the knee jerk "I wantz pace" brigade are irritating to put up with, but Archer had the Aussies looking genuinely frightened at times during the ashes and that's a factor you need during an Aus tour.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, what's going on with Archer's batting? The guy averages 27 in First Class cricket, but has afaia looked like a total rabbit in just about every test he's played. Even yesterday, he could've been out a half dozen times before he finally shovelled one to deep square leg. Has he been focussing more on his bowling in recent years, to the detriment of his batting?

the big bambino

International Captain
Its funny guys picking Boult in ATG NZXIs but he doesn't get a call in a combo XI to Aus. He'd come in for Wagner - as well as he's bowled. Agree you'd need Archer's pace.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if that's true, but I'm not sure if I'd pick him for Australian conditions over Wagner. It'd be a tight call though, Boult's a fair bit quicker than Wagner these days and can generate some decent reverse.

Flem274*

123/5
boult was pretty good in the uae and i think sri lanka. he's certainly not limited to nz/english conditions now and hasn't been for a while.

doesnt make my nz all time team though. hadlee, cowie, bond are my trio.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
doesnt make my nz all time team though. hadlee, cowie, bond are my trio.
With Player X also in the mix, I'm guessing? Otherwise the batting of Hadlee (and presumably Vettori) would create room for another seamer somewhere.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't know if that's true, but I'm not sure if I'd pick him for Australian conditions over Wagner. It'd be a tight call though, Boult's a fair bit quicker than Wagner these days and can generate some decent reverse.
People like speed and the hooping swing of Boult and Southee from the early-mid 2010s, there is nothing attractive about canny intelligent bowlers.