• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root should not be in the fab 4 list anymore. Doesn't have the sense of invincibility that Smith, Kohli and Williamson have.
Which series recently has Root even been England's best batsman? Thought burns and stokes outbatted him in the ashes, buttler was arguably better v india (and curran of course, the ****), foakes in sl etc. This is why the 'his form has been affected by having to carry a weak lineup' thing doesnt add up. If this is just a blip, it's a seriously long one.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dare someone to say Wagner is going for too many runs.

The most deadly of weapons always have collateral damage, Zyklon B, Nuclear Warheads etc.

vcs

I feel like Root is too good a batsman not to bounce back from this funk. Helps that's he's a couple of years younger than the rest of the Big 4 as well.

It's getting a bit worrying, though. One thing's for sure, he'll have to maintain a godly conversion rate when that happens, considering all the 50s and 60s he's thrown away when in form.

vcs

Which series recently has Root even been England's best batsman? Thought burns and stokes outbatted him in the ashes, buttler was arguably better v india (and curran of course, the ****), foakes in sl etc. This is why the 'his form has been affected by having to carry a weak lineup' thing doesnt add up. If this is just a blip, it's a seriously long one.
Been a long time TBH. Have to go back to the home summer of 2017.

Burgey

I feel like Root is too good a batsman not to bounce back from this funk. Helps that's he's a couple of years younger than the rest of the Big 4 as well.

It's getting a bit worrying, though. One thing's for sure, he'll have to maintain a godly conversion rate when that happens, considering all the 50s and 60s he's thrown away when in form.
He needs to ditch the captaincy. He's gone from hero to zero since he got it. It most likely isn't even a conscious thing, but it's affecting his batting massively.

Meanwhile, Joe Denly has continued on form the Ashes where he quietly began turning into not-at-all-terrible and started to become more than useful.

_Ed_

Not an easy time for the relative newcomer Pope to come in. I'd have considered a nightwatchman.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Root should not be in the fab 4 list anymore. Doesn't have the sense of invincibility that Smith, Kohli and Williamson have.
I'm not sure many would still talk about him in that bracket tbh.

Agree with Burgey that he's got to ditch the captaincy (or have it taken off him) it's not like he's any good at it anyway. Then we'll see if that helps him get back to the batsmen that we all know he's capable of being.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
What was the pitch like today? Listened most day on radio sport at work. Need to catch up on highlights. Looks like Stokes is going to be a thorn, he's set for a hundy here. Not many wickets went down but still the score barely moved. Looks like a pitch not to the liking of the batsmen or the bowlers.

Immenso

Test cricket from nz is just dire lately, is it the most boring in the world?

Had my finger poised to turn my sky sport account back on this morning. Then we lost the toss, 4 medium Pacers and a finger spinner. Memories of last nz test match came flashing back, 2 days bowling at SL at the Basin for a draw.

It's just ****, I'm not a cricket fan because I like watching batting.

nzfan

Kane again reluctant bowling Santner in the first dig? In that case what's the point in having him. I feel Kane just doesn't rate spin just because he's a gun player against spin.

The Hutt Rec

Haven't been feeling too excited for this series for some reason, and that day's play did nothing to change my mind.

Usually our pre-Christmas pitches have a bit more life in them than that, don't they?!

91Jmay

International Coach
Decent first day by looks of it. Top order laid platform, survive early tomorrow and Stokes/Pope can score quickly.

Root turning into JAG.

thierry henry

International Coach
I can’t believe you weirdos are whinging about the state of test cricket in NZ because we failed to drop any of probably our best pace attack ever who have been relentlessly winning us home tests for years now. Don’t watch then and stop stinking up the thread.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
How did Ben Stokes end up in the New Zealander of the year comp? I mean seriously........you guys must just love him:ph34r: