• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Woodster

International Captain
Fair summary. I'd prefer Foakes long term too but we are where we are and Foakes not had as good a season domestically. I do worry about Curran as a 3rd seamer but we'll see how it pans out. Exciting times!
Yes in terms of numbers, Foakes didn't exactly press his case, but you can understand him being a little disillusioned with the selection policy. Just a shame that such a highly-skilled gloveman is being penalised for his batting, when actually, he's a very decent number 7.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think you’re underselling Woakes’ bowling by describing him as a 4th seamer.
Domestically you're dead right of course, but his overseas test performances haven't inspired confidence that he's a genuine 3rd seamer at this level. Nor his performances in the ashes a few months ago, although I don't think that Root handled him brilliantly tbf.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure he batted five for most of the season, which is probably fair enough in county cricket, certainly not out of his depth at seven in the Tests.
Foakes had a pretty mediocre season with the bat; not enough to make like trickier for the selectors. That and Buttler's improving form as the ashes progressed mean I understand why he wasn't picked.

Woodster

International Captain
Foakes had a pretty mediocre season with the bat; not enough to make like trickier for the selectors. That and Buttler's improving form as the ashes progressed mean I understand why he wasn't picked.
Buttler, by his standard, was poor in the Ashes and he really couldn't complain if he was left out. I like Buttler, I really do, but Foakes was extremel;y unlucky to be dropped from the Test side in the first place.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My working week is done. Beers ready, no doubt I will fall asleep by 12 but can at least try a game of spot my dad on tv as he has gone.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Love watching this matchup. I genuinely have no idea who will win despite NZs shorter odds.

4 off Sibleys first ball ever, nice start.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I should be excited, but I'm just a bit down about it all. We're bowling but we have no Ferg. I was more excited about this two days ago when all the press (including NZCs own press releases) indicated we were going to see some pace. Until Stead ruined it all.

4 sessions of 130km wobblers with a crappy kooka coming up.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Love watching this matchup. I genuinely have no idea who will win despite NZs shorter odds.

4 off Sibleys first ball ever, nice start.
Couldn’t agree more, it could go either way, I’m probably edging towards NZ based on their form at home. The toss should hopefully help, we need a big first innings to set us up here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Anderson still injured?

Also, sucked in . You guys got Dhamarmaseena.

Last edited: