• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is exactly it. I've had the conversation/argument a lot that lack of performance in a pressure situation does not equal choke, if the performance hasn't deviated very far from the norm. Neesham is an inconsistent bowler. Always has been. He started the over well then missed lengths two balls of the over, which I'd by and large expect him to do at any stage.

And Ish is going through a dry spell confidence wise, which can have bad consequences as a leggie. He'll be back
Yeah but Stokes > Neesham as a bowler...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is exactly it. I've had the conversation/argument a lot that lack of performance in a pressure situation does not equal choke, if the performance hasn't deviated very far from the norm. Neesham is an inconsistent bowler. Always has been. He started the over well then missed lengths two balls of the over, which I'd by and large expect him to do at any stage.

And Ish is going through a dry spell confidence wise, which can have bad consequences as a leggie. He'll be back
What if he’s just choking all the time? Maybe bowls demon yorkers in the nets/domestix.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is this a legit first class bowling attack or is it just teenagers from second xi cricket?
Somewhere in between but much closer to the latter. Lister is pretty legit but hasn't played much yet, and half of these guys have never played a FC game before.

There's a three dayer against NZ A after this that has actual FC status though and they picked a good team for that.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Not sure if this is worth a thread and since the ashes 2019 threads have been archived, I'll bung it in here. Jofra Archer clarifies in an interview with Nasser the reason he smiled after felling Smith at Lords (from memory). He'd made a deal with Jos Buttler who'd give him anything he wanted if he got Tim Paine out. Subsequently he did but forgot he'd won a bet and only remembered when Buttler came up to him after Smith was hit. The sudden recollection that he needed to collect from Buttler made him smile. Archer goes on to say he was aware how serious the blow was but is frustrated with the way it has been presented on TV.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Phillips is probably next cab off the ranks tbh. Second best average over the last two Plunket Shield seasons after Conway...

jcas0167

International Debutant
Whoever upgraded the NZC videocard deserves some kind of medal. Massive improvement. Really looking forward to seeing how McClure, Finn Allen, Bhula & co go against a test strength English attack this afternoon.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Runs to Allen would be great. Not sure I have much faith in McClure ever living up to promise, while Bhula is very young (and not quite the precocious talent of Allen) so will find it tough.

This NZXI bowling attack definitely pretty average (currently - they're young and might get better) aside from Lister.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
That was an awesome shot from Bhula, Bhula looks like he loves copying Kohli? Now we have in NZ G Phillips copying Steve Smith and Bhula Virat Kohli. Anyone copy Kane please?

nzfan

That was a ridiculously good slower ball from Jofra to get Ken McClure out... Poor batter was walking for LBW.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Runs to Allen would be great. Not sure I have much faith in McClure ever living up to promise, while Bhula is very young (and not quite the precocious talent of Allen) so will find it tough.

This NZXI bowling attack definitely pretty average (currently - they're young and might get better) aside from Lister.
Well done Bhula on 50*, Allen on 42* too. Bhula had some fairly obvious weaknesses outside off when he was U19s, though didn't seem too fussed to play and miss and was strong on the legside. He must've improved to be scoring runs against this attack.

nzfan

Finn Allen was dropped second or third ball in the slip off Archer but that said he's still gone on to score some runs. Was just about to post how good it'd be to see both the last year U19 lads Bhula and Allen to get to a hundred each but then Bhula got out just now.

To be honest England will obviously not be going all out to knock these guys over, they just want everyone to bowl few overs to get into rhythm. I expect them to play serious cricket vs NZ A though.