• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ashwin go past Kumble?

Adam19

Banned
Fastest to 300 wickets. He has slowed down a bit since then. Might find it difficult to keep that record going as Murali got to 400 wickets in 72 Tests and 500 in 87. I've seen a few discussions on whether he could get to Murali's 800. The problem is he's already 33. Murali was around 30 even when he got to 400 since he started playing for SL at a young age. Going past Kumble is a realistic target for Ashwin. He might play for another 6 years.

srbhkshk

International Captain
One factor that helped Kumble (apart from him being a great bowler) is that the Indian teams were not packed with other wicket taking options. Ashwin did have some time where he had a similar advantage but it's not there anymore.

ataraxia

International Coach
Don't really think he'll stay that long. May be remembered as greater than Kumble though, depending on how sharp his decline will come.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
very difficult to go past Kumble's tally. Ashwin is not a certainty in abroad tests for India moving forward. That reduces his chances a lot. But he has a chance of being the better test bowler though

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope he can keep averaging ~25 for a few more years and keep winning us matches. He bowled really well against South Africa.

I don't want his career to tail off like Harbhajan. He shouldn't end up as a defensive containing bowler who finishes with a large but relatively meaningless career wicket tally.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since his batting has worsened while Jadeja's has become better, he won't be playing many (any?) away tests. Esp given that Kuldeep is probably a better option on some away pitches as well. Don't see him getting too many more than 450.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I don't think he will go past Kumble in the wicket tally. However, he should end up as a better bowler than Kumble. Probably already is.

vcs

It will be hard to argue Kumble's above him if he gets another 150 or so wickets at the current average. Still, I find it hard to put him above Kumble TBH. The Asian teams Kumble faced were brutal against spin. He got nothing out of Sri Lanka and Pakistan most of the time, but whenever we did beat them, Kumble usually did something special (10-fer and some of his spells in Pakistan). Ashwin's job is eased by having a good support cast and good pace bowlers around him.

Briggs

Banned
He's too old now. No bowler in current times can take 800 wickets because they debut too late while Warne and Murali debuted in their teens

Burgey

I reckon he will tbh. Will take a serious injury for him not to. He’s pretty durable.

Burgey

It will be hard to argue Kumble's above him if he gets another 150 or so wickets at the current average. Still, I find it hard to put him above Kumble TBH. The Asian teams Kumble faced were brutal against spin. He got nothing out of Sri Lanka and Pakistan most of the time, but whenever we did beat them, Kumble usually did something special (10-fer and some of his spells in Pakistan). Ashwin's job is eased by having a good support cast and good pace bowlers around him.
Kumble was a deadset iron man. Remember his tour here in 03/04 he was ****ing awesome

Truly a three dimensional bowler.

vcs

Yeah that Australian tour was his greatest ever performance, for me. Bowling with zero support (not counting Agarkar's fluky Adelaide 6-fer) against an incredible batting lineup in top form, on a bunch of roads.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Yep, 24 wickets at around 29 in flat pitches against one of the best batting lineups ever was indeed heavyweight stuff.

OverratedSanity

His performance in 08 was great too. Picked up key wickets, bowled marathon spells, rightly called the Aussies piss poor sports and theyre still annoyed about that to this day. Quality stuff.