• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many hundreds will Smith score?

Adam19

Banned
Smith will play for another 7-8 years. That's about 75-80 Tests for AUS. 26 hundreds in 68 Tests so far. Can he break the record?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he will end up around 45. Don't see him playing enough Tests to break Tendulkar's record.

Adam19

Banned
He should be able to at least get close if he keeps going like this. Avg 64+ is unreal. Perhaps there will be a decline. I can't see him overstaying for records though.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Being more of a hand eye coordination player than being 'technically perfect' , Smith's terminal decline may happen a bit earlier than normal. Other wise it is a given that he would go past the record '51 100s'

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Being more of a hand eye coordination player than being 'technically perfect' , Smith's terminal decline may happen a bit earlier than normal. Other wise it is a given that he would go past the record '51 100s'
I don't think it's a given he'll get anywhere near 50 hundreds. I am not sure people realise how immense that number is. It took the one guy who has that many over two decades to accumulate them all. 35-40 is a far more realistic number IMO.

vcs

I don't think it's a given he'll get anywhere near 50 hundreds. I am not sure people realise how immense that number is. It took the one guy who has that many over two decades to accumulate them all. 35-40 is a far more realistic number IMO.
I think lots of batsmen find consistently converting scores to hundreds a struggle once they cross a certain age. Sachin used to get a lot of excellent 80s-90s in his last couple of years but just didn't have the endurance to get past 3 figures, which used to be effortless for him in his prime.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think lots of batsmen find consistently converting scores to hundreds a struggle once they cross a certain age. Sachin used to get a lot of excellent 80s-90s in his last couple of years but just didn't have the endurance to get past 3 figures, which used to be effortless for him in his prime.
It is mind boggling that Sachin holds the record of highest number of centuries so easily while scoring so many 80s and 90s.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Say Smith scores 3 hundreds a year until he's 33. That puts him on 35 hundreds. Then say he slows down to 1 a year after that. Playing for 5 more years puts him at 40 tons over all. That's about what I expect, though maybe he has a few more than that in him.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
that's why I said it depends a lot on the timing of his 'slowing reflexes'.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Say Smith scores 3 hundreds a year until he's 33. That puts him on 35 hundreds. Then say he slows down to 1 a year after that. Playing for 5 more years puts him at 40 tons over all. That's about what I expect, though maybe he has a few more than that in him.
Smith scored 21 100s in just 4 years before he got banned . Now he has 26. Still some 7 years left. For some one who scored '21 100s in just 4 years', I don't think it is impossible for ' 24 in 7 years'

vcs

If he plays till 37-38, he will get there IMO. Especially since he loves bashing England, who they play the most cricket against. If he plays two more Ashes, I can see him getting 5-6 hundreds there alone. But I don't see him playing past 35. So 5-6 more years, which means he needs 4 hundreds per year.

I would randomly guess the following :

Smith - 43 hundreds, ~11000 runs at 60
Kohli - 37 hundreds, ~11500 runs at 54
Williamson - 32 hundreds, ~10000 runs at 52
Root - 24 hundreds, ~12500 runs at 48