• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia 2019

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Who knows, abbas might not even have done amazing if he had been picked, but its still so stupid. Teams overthink this **** way too much these days, good bowlers are good bowlers, just pick them.
I reckon they immediately regretted it after Imran's first two or three overs too.

They had every reason to expect him to bowl better than that and I reckon he usually would (although his domestic figures since his largely unfair Test dumping make me suspect they only recalled him because he's such a Misbahian), but when you pick someone entirely because they skittled the A team with the new ball and they do that, ouch.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor Yasir is going to get pummeled here again, with the platform they've set. You give your spinner no chance in a place like Australia if he comes on at 100/0.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Poor Yasir is going to get pummeled here again, with the platform they've set. You give your spinner no chance in a place like Australia if he comes on at 100/0.
He legitimately bowled absolutely turd last time though, bad platform or not. He could well average 70+ again and still leave with a much better reputation if he bowls better.

vcs

I think Misbah set some really poor defensive fields for him as well. Not that he had much of a chance anyway, as all their bowlers were generally expensive.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I reckon they immediately regretted it after Imran's first two or three overs too.

They had every reason to expect him to bowl better than that and I reckon he usually would (although his domestic figures since his largely unfair Test dumping make me suspect they only recalled him because he's such a Misbahian), but when you pick someone entirely because they skittled the A team with the new ball and they do that, ouch.
On this though, it makes me wonder why Imran played that game anyway. Surely you play Abbas in that one and let Imran have a run in the two-dayer.

If their thought process at the time was "we don't want their fringe batsmen to get a good look at Abbas" - which I suspected at the time - surely he doesn't go from that to not playing in one game's time ffs. Especially since he bowled fine in the one he did play.

And I rant like this but I still totally expected this exact lineup. It was all too predictably crap.

Burgey

Seems to me he's home there, but after yesterday and the no ball, how would you say with any confidence?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The sixteen year old who's actually at least eighteen has an interesting bowling action. Classical, which is very rare these days, but a bit awkward looking. Producing decent pace though. I also note that Yasir is still refusing to flight the ball in Australian conditions.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How long has it been since an Australian opening partnership - nay any partnership not involving Smith - has reached 150+?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I really find it hard to enjoy this innings from Warner after he was such a liability in England

Burgey

I'm by no means an over rate Nazi (though like any Nazi, they're entitled to their POV and we should have a cup of tea with them and discuss things civilly), but nine or ten overs down at tea on an uninterrupted day two when one of your front liners is a leggie is really bad.

Also, this really shows how any middle order looks formidable when your openers put 100 plus up.

Sweet shot there from Burns.

Last edited:

morgieb

I'm by no means an over rate Nazi (though like any Nazi, they're entitled to their POV and we should have a cup of tea with them and discuss things civilly), but nine or ten overs down at tea on an uninterrupted day two when one of your front liners is a leggie is really bad.

Also, this really shows how any middle order looks formidable when your openers put 100 plus up.

Sweet shot there from Burns.
Yeah pretty crap given the lack of wickets.

Pakistan did bowl better in that session but overall still a dire, dire performance.

Spark

Global Moderator
This does have a feeling of that 2009-10 summer against Pakistan and WI and a similar summer a few years later where it was just a complete non-contest and became a pretty terrible spectacle quickly. At least on this occasion it's coming off the back of a successful tour for once.

DriveClub

International Regular
These are the moments when I hate test cricket, 5 days of pure torture, no wonder test cricket will not be a spectator sport. Also the bush fire smoke in sydney coupled with this has made me depressed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The rationale they give ("you shouldn't have two medium pacers in a four man attack on flat+bouncy Australian wickets if you can avoid it") seems at least arguable even if not my style until you realise that it totally smothers the fact that they picked Imran - who I think is a decent enough bowler, but is a 32 year with a fairly meh Test cricket who hasn't played Tests in almost three years and is coming off an awful domestic season - as the lone medium pacer ahead of him because of one spell against spud reserve bats with a pink ball.

Imran's not the worst and he's definitely better than the opening spell he produced today (or at least was when he was a Test regular), but he never has been and never will be as good as Abbas if you're limiting yourself to one medium pacer. The balance argument isn't anywhere near as egregious - even though I disagree with it ultimately - as the pecking order they came up with.
Waqar answering a question about this by talking about Amir and Wahab retiring. Ugh.

No ****. If they hadn't retired it would've made him even more unlikely to be selected. Don't skirt the issue by pretending no-one would've cared about Pakistan leaving out a bowler averaging 19 in Tests and 11 against Australia if they could've selected Wahab ****ing Riaz instead.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Waqar answering a question about this by talking about Amir and Wahab retiring. Ugh.

No ****. If they hadn't retired it would've made him even more unlikely to be selected. Don't skirt the issue by pretending no-one would've cared about Pakistan leaving out a bowler averages 19 in Tests and 11 against Australia if they could've selected Wahab ****ing Riaz instead.
Skull taking him to task on this answer. WAG.