• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC T20 World Cup

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
According to Wikipedia,

ICC T20 World Cup
Men's -- last tournament was 2016, next are 2020 and 2021
Women's -- last tournament was 2018, next are 2020

Could you tell me the rules? Why Men's will be held 2020 and 2021, not 2020 and 2022?

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
The rules?

Well, each side bats twenty overs, and the winner is that which has the most boundaries.

This applies at match and tournament level.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because they decided to get rid of the Champion's Trophy for no reason

Year 1: ODI WC
Year 2: World T20
Year 3: CT
Year 4: nothing

Repeat

Was a good enough formula. Instead of that we now have 2 years in a 4 year cycle without a global tournament.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Because they decided to get rid of the Champion's Trophy for no reason

Year 1: ODI WC
Year 3: CT
Year 4: nothing

Repeat

Was a good enough formula. Instead of that we now have 2 years in a 4 year cycle without a global tournament.
World T20 should be held in Year 4. And how about Test world competition?

Can World T20 be used as qulifiers for ODI WC?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is there a thread for the qualifiers? The matches are being shown on Kayo tonight.

_Ed_

Is there a thread for the qualifiers? The matches are being shown on Kayo tonight.
It's just in the Emerging Nations thread for now, but maybe it warrants its own thread? I'm really looking forward to it.

TheJediBrah

IMO:

Year 1: ODI World Cup
Year 3: Champions Trophy
Year 4: Test World Cup (proper tournament, not the Test championship rubbish they've started now)

or if they don't want to do Champions Trophy anymore, World T20 every 2 years:

Year 3: Test World Cup
Year 4: World T20

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO:

Year 4: Test World Cup (proper tournament, not the Test championship rubbish they've started now)

Yes, the rule of awarding equal points for a series irrespective of number of tests is a bit stupid and need to be re-defined, but I just have a feeling that you won't have dismissed it as rubbish if Australia had first position instead of India right now :)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally liked the concept of Champions trophy a lot. No idea why the decision-makers thought it is not worth organizing it anymore.

_Ed_

With the World Cup reduced to 10 teams, maybe an eight-team Champions Trophy seems too similar?

TheJediBrah

Yes, the rule of awarding equal points for a series irrespective of number of tests is a bit stupid and need to be re-defined, but I just have a feeling that you won't have dismissed it as rubbish if Australia had first position instead of India right now :)
You don't need to make it about that, you're better than that. And no, not at all. I don't like the system they have at all unless everything is uniform amongst all participants (full rotation of everyone playing everyone home and away, same length Test series).

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't need to make it about that, you're better than that. And no, not at all. I don't like the system they have at all unless everything is uniform amongst all participants (full rotation of everyone playing everyone home and away, same length Test series).
Agreed on your points TJB. Sorry, Was just a tongue in cheek comment earlier. The equal points for different length test series definitely needs to change. But not sure if we will get time to do a full rotation within 2 years.

TheJediBrah

Agreed on your points TJB. Sorry, Was just a tongue in cheek comment earlier. The equal points for different length test series definitely needs to change. But not sure if we will get time to do a full rotation within 2 years.
It shouldn't be within 2 years. And of course the full, even rotation is not even remotely feasible from a financial point of view but without it the "Test Championship" just seems too random IMO

Burgey

Nah, just give a weighting per test and standardize the outcomes per series, if that's not what they're doing now anyway. Obviously preferable if there's full home and away series, but various footy codes get by without it. Obviously the fact India doesn't play Pakistan at all buggers everything up, but you expect sides from that part of the world not to abide by anything which benefits the game as a whole.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
IMO:

What kind of Test World Cup do you want (how many teams, length of tournament, etc.)?

TheJediBrah

What kind of Test World Cup do you want (how many teams, length of tournament, etc.)?
In an ideal world, 6 weeks or maybe a little more, 2-3 group games each and a semi-final and final. It's a lot of cricket and is about as practical as the full-round robin Test Championship every 4 years but as I said this is in an ideal world.

SillyCowCorner1

In an ideal world, 6 weeks or maybe a little more, 2-3 group games each and a semi-final and final. It's a lot of cricket and is about as practical as the full-round robin Test Championship every 4 years but as I said this is in an ideal world.
The final should be a timeless test.