• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akila Dananjaya banned from bowling for one year

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's more a case of kids without the same "physical anomaly" consciously and/or unconsciously replicating their hero.

Not that it's purely a Sri Lankan thing though, seems to be a huge number of off-spinners around the world that chuck to some extent these days, even if they haven't been reported.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think this ban should be retroactively enforced before the first test vs NZ recently, and the result overturned imo

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's more a case of kids without the same "physical anomaly" consciously and/or unconsciously replicating their hero.

Not that it's purely a Sri Lankan thing though, seems to be a huge number of off-spinners around the world that chuck to some extent these days, even if they haven't been reported.
The issue is Akhila has nothing similar to Murali, he is out of the copy book orthodox off spinner. He does bowl other stuff, but they are over the wrist stuff, so nothing fancy. Not even a carom ball. The trend is worrying and I've always skeptical of the process, because it has not been peer reviewed for ten straight years now, but that id for another thread.

No one has taken in to account whether there are genetic factors of hyper extensibility in some players. Additionally, almost all the reported Sri Lankans are bowlers who are extremely thin with very little muscle mass (Senanayake and Akhila). PHT Kaushal was muscular, His off break was fine, and he was the one who was bowling like Murali. The issue was with half of his doosras being illegal, and half of his other deliveries are dross. Even the faster bowlers reported like Ruchira Perera and RMS Eranga are very thin. There was some issues over Suraj Randiv as well (once again a 6'1" thin off spinner). May be we have an issue with the build of the players. Real concern is that orthodox players are getting reported.

TheJediBrah

Yeah let's not get into the whole "Sri Lanka being discriminated against" conspiracy gain

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah let's not get into the whole "Sri Lanka being discriminated against" conspiracy gain
I don't think this has to do anything with discrimination. Just think diet of these players are utterly poor.

We have seen skinny players from other countries too, but they eventually bulk up. But our lot, never does it. The issue is that, in 90s they did it, and we were fielding a set of fast men who were pretty quick. Now the second fastest bowlers we have is Chameera who is just "bones". Will not be surprised if he is called next.

Burgey

Dilhara Fernando had a decent fast bowling physique iirc. Decent amount of bulk and worked up a fair sized salmon as well.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think this has to do anything with discrimination. Just think diet of these players are utterly poor.

We have seen skinny players from other countries too, but they eventually bulk up. But our lot, never does it. The issue is that, in 90s they did it, and we were fielding a set of fast men who were pretty quick. Now the second fastest bowlers we have is Chameera who is just "bones". Will not be surprised if he is called next.
Dude, your guys were still playing Wickramasinghe in 1999, and guys like Ramanayake etc were hardly intimidating in speed as well. SL wasn't producing quicker bowlers then than now. Diet etc might help with strength and not getting injured but unless they're throwing to compensate for lack thereof it won't fix much, as it's a technical thing. I can't think of any SL pace bowler other than Eranga who had action problems recently anyway, it's a spin bowling thing where strength is much less important. They need be taught properly in the first place or have things remedied before they reach test level. This means actually having a good pathway structure and use of coaching resources etc.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Dude, your guys were still playing Wickramasinghe in 1999, and guys like Ramanayake etc were hardly intimidating in speed as well. SL wasn't producing quicker bowlers then than now. Diet etc might help with strength and not getting injured but unless they're throwing to compensate for lack thereof it won't fix much, as it's a technical thing. I can't think of any SL pace bowler other than Eranga who had action problems recently anyway, it's a spin bowling thing where strength is much less important. They need be taught properly in the first place or have things remedied before they reach test level. This means actually having a good pathway structure and use of coaching resources etc.
Malinga, Fernando and Prabath Nissanka were all late 90s to early 00s bowlers, who touched 150 or higher (add pre - injury Ishara Amerasinghe too, never lasted though). No one after that apart from Lahiru Kumara can do it recently. So you see, that express bowlers in not a commodity in SL. And three (four) out of them happened within 10 years in 90s. The difference in physique is tell tale.

The issue is all the spinners reported are classical off spinners who bowl with flight and dip. Absolutely no wrist - spinning off spinners despite having Murali as a role model. The thin, lanky ones get reported while short, stout, round ones look pleasing on the eye.

TheJediBrah

This hits the nail on the head. Blaming diet and physique is ludicrous. It's most likely a combination of a culture of dodgy actions and a coaching issue. It would be a difficult position to be in as a junior coach though. Say you've got a 15 year old spinner who looks really good, but he throws it. Do you try and change his action completely and risk ruining him or just go with the flow and hope he gets away with it? After all it worked with Murali, and a good thing no one tried to change his action. Bit of a catch 22.

Same thing happening, to a lesser degree and probably for different reasons, in Australia with the likes of Arjun Nair. The kid should not have got through all the pathway cricket he did and made it to state level with his bowling action. It could be worse, we could have these guys in international cricket like other nations have but we shouldn't even be seeing these guys in state cricket. Coaching has a bit to answer for.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Malinga, Fernando and Prabath Nissanka were all late 90s to early 00s bowlers, who touched 150 or higher (add pre - injury Ishara Amerasinghe too, never lasted though). No one after that apart from Lahiru Kumara can do it recently. So you see, that express bowlers in not a commodity in SL. And three (four) out of them happened within 10 years in 90s. The difference in physique is tell tale.

The issue is all the spinners reported are classical off spinners who bowl with flight and dip. Absolutely no wrist - spinning off spinners despite having Murali as a role model. The thin, lanky ones get reported while short, stout, round ones look pleasing on the eye.
Malinga's entire professional career has been since 01/02 and most of Fernando's in the 00's. Neither reached 150 regularly either. Nissanka was less durable than Chameera at the top level. You are making stuff up. There's no reason why a 'classical' off spinner can't throw, and there's been examples of such bowlers throwing in the more distant past. It's simply something that he learned to do for whatever reason and was let get away with, so it's stuck. Lance Gibbs was thin and lanky and he didn't throw. Nothing to do with physique.

TheJediBrah

Just a bit of a personal anecdotal story that's somewhat relevant here. I am a filthy chucking offie myself, though I rarely bowl. My issue only started in my later teenage years when I bulked up a lot, as a kid I was scrawny and whip-thin and was more of a bowler. According to coaches I couldn't bowl legally as I grew partly because of bulking up and more specifically due to a resulting lack of shoulder flexibility. There's no reason to think that being skinny puts you at more risk of chucking and if anything, from personal experience, the opposite should be the case.

Daemon

This hits the nail on the head. Blaming diet and physique is ludicrous. It's most likely a combination of a culture of dodgy actions and a coaching issue. It would be a difficult position to be in as a junior coach though. Say you've got a 15 year old spinner who looks really good, but he throws it. Do you try and change his action completely and risk ruining him or just go with the flow and hope he gets away with it? After all it worked with Murali, and a good thing no one tried to change his action. Bit of a catch 22.

Same thing happening, to a lesser degree and probably for different reasons, in Australia with the likes of Arjun Nair. The kid should not have got through all the pathway cricket he did and made it to state level with his bowling action. It could be worse, we could have these guys in international cricket like other nations have but we shouldn't even be seeing these guys in state cricket. Coaching has a bit to answer for.
Classic TJB with the not-so-subtle subtle digs

There is no way Migara isn’t going to reply to this

TheJediBrah

in all honesty I was trying my very best to avoid any implications about Murali if that's what you're referring to. I don't think I implied that he was a chucker anywhere in that post (although of course he was)

Burgey

Explain how the point he's making is not a valid one? You can't just say "I'm a skinny ****, therefore I throw." FMD that's the lamest thing ever.