• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akila Dananjaya banned from bowling for one year

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought he was​ John1990.

Stocks in Daemon Inc have certainly plummeted since the old Gandhi days, that's for sure.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
This hits the nail on the head. Blaming diet and physique is ludicrous. It's most likely a combination of a culture of dodgy actions and a coaching issue. It would be a difficult position to be in as a junior coach though. Say you've got a 15 year old spinner who looks really good, but he throws it. Do you try and change his action completely and risk ruining him or just go with the flow and hope he gets away with it? After all it worked with Murali, and a good thing no one tried to change his action. Bit of a catch 22.
The issue here is you guys try to show off your close to zero knowledge on development of Sri lankan cricketers. All the bowlers who get reported had been orthodox, so blamig it on dodgy actions is ludicrous. Not even an open chested bowler had been tested up to now. The issue is not with the coaching or the way they bowl, becaus the same coaches have produced bowlers like Herath or Dilruwan Perera with copy book actions (FTR both are bulky). During their development, these players try more and more things, which their bodies can't cope up with and end up adding unnecessary variations to their actions.

On the subject of changing actions, I don't think it will work, neither can be remedied, unless there is a massive mechanical issue associated. For example an open chested, high arm off break bowler has the highest risk to chuck, because the body action doesn't add much to the delivery (on other hand these guys have a killer drifter). These bowlers can be corercted by asking them to lower their arm and by changing the agngle of the runup, forcing them to be side on.

But if anyone chucks with a classical runup, load up and a delivery stride, it is extremely difficult to correct, because it is the most efficient bowling action possible and body tends to drift towards it with time.

Same thing happening, to a lesser degree and probably for different reasons, in Australia with the likes of Arjun Nair. The kid should not have got through all the pathway cricket he did and made it to state level with his bowling action. It could be worse, we could have these guys in international cricket like other nations have but we shouldn't even be seeing these guys in state cricket. Coaching has a bit to answer for.
This I am not aware of.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Malinga's entire professional career has been since 01/02 and most of Fernando's in the 00's. Neither reached 150 regularly either. Nissanka was less durable than Chameera at the top level. You are making stuff up. There's no reason why a 'classical' off spinner can't throw, and there's been examples of such bowlers throwing in the more distant past. It's simply something that he learned to do for whatever reason and was let get away with, so it's stuck. Lance Gibbs was thin and lanky and he didn't throw. Nothing to do with physique.
As far as I know malinga was clocked in mid 150s, and was regularly 145+ for couple of deasons, ditto Fernando fo few additional seasons. Nissanka was durable, and the injury he got was not a cricket related one.

And Lance Gibbs is not Asian, nor Sri Lankan. I am stating an obvious pattern about our spinners. It may or may not fit observations from other countries.

TheJediBrah

the issue here is you guys try to show off your close to zero knowledge on development of sri lankan cricketers. all the bowlers who get reported had been orthodox, so blamig it on dodgy actions is ludicrous.
This makes absolutely no sense. If they had orthodox actions they wouldn't be getting reported. Otherwise I don't know what you mean by "orthodox"

edit: and it's far more likely to be an issue of coaching and/or culture than any alternative you've suggested so far. Physique, diet, conspiracy against Sri Lanka etc. are all ridiculous.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I remember Malinga when he toured NZ in 2006 and he was proper fast then. Don't think he was mid-150's, but consistently in the 145-150 range even in tests. It is true that he only bowled with that kind of pace for a very brief phase of his career though.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
This makes absolutely no sense. If they had orthodox actions they wouldn't be getting reported. Otherwise I don't know what you mean by "orthodox"

edit: and it's far more likely to be an issue of coaching and/or culture than any alternative you've suggested so far. Physique, diet, conspiracy against Sri Lanka etc. are all ridiculous.
Orthodox actions means the classic side on actions. The chances of elbow getting involved in these actions is minimal. But it is the group of actions that elbow has been coming in to play. PHT Kaushal is unorthodox, bowls open chested, uses wrist, but his off break is perfect. He is the guy we should expect to have elbow issues. But instead look at the list we have now.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember Malinga when he toured NZ in 2006 and he was proper fast then. Don't think he was mid-150's, but consistently in the 145-150 range even in tests. It is true that he only bowled with that kind of pace for a very brief phase of his career though.
Clocked 155k in NZ. Even around 2007 he was hitting 148 - 149.

TheJediBrah

Orthodox actions means the classic side on actions. The chances of elbow getting involved in these actions is minimal. But it is the group of actions that elbow has been coming in to play. PHT Kaushal is unorthodox, bowls open chested, uses wrist, but his off break is perfect. He is the guy we should expect to have elbow issues. But instead look at the list we have now.
ok so all that is irrelevant then