• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Leo Carter with a double was a bit of a surprise. Second century, doubles his top score.
Double hundred prompted me to look up his record and gee... it's not very good. Canterbury selectors may be feeling they've earned this payoff over quite some time.

He's only 25 so hopefully this is the start of something bigger.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Santner has a chance of taking his first FC four wicket haul today...
I think the Aussie spin posters would say it's come via a technical deterioration, which is the irony of it. Slinging a golfing equivalent of a very low swing plane hook into the batsman's pads and bringing bat-pad dismissals more into play.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Leo Carter is son of Bob Carter. Those that don't know or haven't heard about Bob Carter, he's a pretty important cog in NZC. He coached firebirds during mid to late 90s then headed back to England where he coached Northamptonshire for few season before making his way back into New Zealand cricket. Bob Carter got mentions from Hussey and McCullum in their respective books. Hussey in fact if I remember correctly had foreword written for his book by Bob Carter. Also was one of the blokes with Hesson that got Taylor out of captaincy. During Hesson's regime Bob Carter was assistant coach. He's currently coaching White Ferns. Besides Micheal Hussey and McCullum among many other players he's had a hand in developing I hear Rachin, Sears, Blundell, Nathan Smith and Jamieson are his favorite picks from the current set. These players owe a bit of their progress to Bob Carter. Pretty selfless by Bob Carter given his own son plays for Canterbury.

Two big achievements by Leo Carter this year, six 6s off Devcich and a double hundy. That makes for a very memorable season.

vandem

International 12th Man
Make that double... it's great to see so many guys putting their hand up this season. The decks have been challenging in the first dig no doubt about that. This end of the summer I'm hoping there is variable bounce and spin (it'll never spin at Basin) which will test the batters and spin bowlers get something out of this. .
Except spinner stocks are low. Jeets unavailable, Astle retired, Sommers injured, Sodhi and Santa will soon be playing Black Caps white ball stuff. Not sure where the young spinners are? Several teams relying on part-time spin from batsmen.

Howsie

International Captain
Happy to see Nick Kelly score his 1st first class 100 too. Talented cricket, definitely good enough to average over 40 in first class cricket, hopefully the first of many.

vandem

International 12th Man
Checking scores after being AWOL since early afternoon, surprised that Otago held on for a draw, another significant contribution by Nathan Smith. Do you think Auckland were pleased at having batted 2.5 overs this morning to score another 18 runs, then finish the day 1 wicket short of a win? Did they think an overnight 352 run lead wasn't enough?

Flem274*

123/5
loving cleaver this season

hazeldine is short, looks ****in fast and seems determined to learn wagnerball. i like him.

wellington tho, wat are you doing.

Immenso

Cracking finishes to the other 2 matches today.

Otago hold on 9 wickets down.

How many overs/balls left in the CD chase? Last I saw ND still in 9 wickets down with about 15 overs to go and a small lead. Sodhi doing another rear guard.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Beghin nearing his ton now (Auckland A at Pukekura Park). I think there was a 140 with him late last season too, so looking like he might be the one to come back into Plunket cricket for Guptill.

Chewie

Beghin nearing his ton now (Auckland A at Pukekura Park). I think there was a 140 with him late last season too, so looking like he might be the one to come back into Plunket cricket for Guptill.
My domestic selector team likes this post

nzfan

Finn Allen hasn't scored today, that's a rarity for him in an A side. Generally gets a hundy every time he plays for As. Hope they don't hold this against him and he gets a go rest of the summer. Dhadwal brothers were big names in the national 19s few years ago, they have just faded away for some reason. Another very promising cricketer was Aniket Parekh from Auckland. He was Martin Crowe scholarship recipient. A good offie and a very good bat too. Played NZ 19s in 2016 and was contracted in 2018. Since then I've barely seen his name surface. Shame if he has given up cricket and moved on.

nzfan

loving cleaver this season

hazeldine is short, looks ****in fast and seems determined to learn wagnerball. i like him.

wellington tho, wat are you doing.
That was a shocker from Wellington, gone from 70 for no loss to 120 all out in the space of very few overs. They rely so much on Devon. Rachin is probably averaging 50+ in two formats this year but the big one in plunkett shield hasn't come yet. Still pretty good effort opening the batting mostly facing the best bowlers around the country. Will do world of good for him. Bracewell played well in the first inning but the senior players like him and Neesham need to do more I suppose.

Hoping they will bounce back. I thought this was the season with early wins they will go on to win the plunkett shield.

The Hutt Rec

That was a shocker from Wellington, gone from 70 for no loss to 120 all out in the space of very few overs. They rely so much on Devon. Rachin is probably averaging 50+ in two formats this year but the big one in plunkett shield hasn't come yet. Still pretty good effort opening the batting mostly facing the best bowlers around the country. Will do world of good for him. Bracewell played well in the first inning but the senior players like him and Neesham need to do more I suppose.

Hoping they will bounce back. I thought this was the season with early wins they will go on to win the plunkett shield.
Yeah, looking at the draw before the round started I thought that was a must win for Wellington. One of the easier sides they face, and they only have one more home game, as well. Very disappointing performance in the end.

nzfan

Yeah, looking at the draw before the round started I thought that was a must win for Wellington. One of the easier sides they face, and they only have one more home game, as well. Very disappointing performance in the end.
The next game is not going to be easy. Despite ND not having won much this year they have some very good players. If we are using the same strip used for India then Santner and Sodhi will run through us. Hoping we are using a different deck. Hoping Sears is going to be back. He is very crucial for us and Ravindra to be at his best at the top of the order. Devon will obviously score heaps, he's missed twice.