• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
He even took wickets with it!

BMac was an absolute prick those days, he's laughing at Kumble there. I don't know what transpired BMac to become a statesman right after taking up captaincy. I remember one of the match officials who was a good mate saying the only problem child within BC is BMac. Otherwise the series will go smoothly without any incidence.

The Hutt Rec

What happened to not get another Test after that?

Great memories of that tour, living on forever with the Nathan Astle 222 DVD. The greatest of which was Doug Cowie giving Flintoff out caught behind at Eden Park. Adams hardly appealed, and even 15 cans in on the Terraces I knew it was nowhere near
To be fair I think it was a pretty large injury crisis that saw him called up in the first place, but given how he performed I think he was pretty unlucky never to get another chance.

His reaction to that Flintoff caught behind is great ... doesn’t appeal, then just stands there scratching his head when it gets given. :laugh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
the test careers of wagner and especially adams clone philander do make wonder whether we missed a trick giving the angry medium pacer 1 test (in which he took 6fer). he was actually reasonably sharp in his youth.
Tbh, I doubt it. Adams always struck me as a pretty ordinary bowler. Yeah he took mountains of wickets in county cricket. So did Jesse Ryder and Matt Henry.

Having said that, given how parlous the state of our bowling attack was after the Bond ban there's no doubt he should've gotten a shot at some point.

Flem274*

123/5
it's not his county wickets that give me pause tbh. the duke ball is worthless for evaluating test standard in nz bowlers.

the shield has been more reliable than we've given it credit for since the great flattening of the decks. iain o'brien being an obvious example from the same era. some bloke averaging 8 during the early motorway era deserved a second look ahead of all the other spuds who were getting pinga'd and munro'd on the regular (same goes for all the crap batsmen we picked who couldn't outscore those blokes).

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hah I see Pocknall remains unsure of whether to trust this notion that you can play anyone from Devon Conway to Joe Root in a game of international A cricket, but if it's possible, he's very keen to see Conway have a run for NZA. Disappointed the jocks sort of know this is an area of expertise where they could probably trust the nerds, but there's still this suspicion, they can't quite get there.

Run machine Devon Conway returns to coal face to move step closer to Black Caps

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...o-coal-face-to-move-step-closer-to-black-caps

Title-winning Wellington Firebirds coach Glenn Pocknall says his star batsman Devon Conway is ready now for international cricket, and will comfortably fit into the Black Caps when he becomes eligible in September.

The 28-year-old South African's dream run in New Zealand continued when he topped the charts with 543 runs at 67.87, strike rate 145, in the Firebirds' charge to the men's Twenty20 title. He started the domestic season with a bang, plundering 327 not out against Canterbury in the Plunket Shield in October.

Named men's domestic player of last season, Conway will pad up against Northern Districts at the Basin Reserve on Sunday when the Ford Trophy resumes, as New Zealand prepare for the second T20 against India in Auckland.

Pending the rubber stamp from the International Cricket Council, Conway becomes available in September, three years since he and partner Kim moved from Johannesburg to settle in Wellington.

Pocknall said of the prolific left-hander: "They've just got to do what they can to fast track him into the [Black Caps] team. Whether that's playing on an A tour first - I don't know whether that conflicts with ICC regulations - but he's shown that he's certainly got the goods."

Conway previously signed a declaration of intent to qualify for New Zealand and, with Cricket Wellington's assistance applied for an annual specific purpose work visa. Part of the ICC's regulations state a qualifying player must spend 10 months a year in his adopted country.

August's two-test tour of Bangladesh will come up too soon for Conway, then the ICC's future tours programme has the Black Caps hosting Bangladesh and West Indies in three T20s apiece in October before the men's T20 World Cup in Australia.

Those matches present a royal chance for Conway to wear his first black cap, but also gives the national selectors Gary Stead and Gavin Larsen more headaches in a jam-packed batting lineup.

Martin Guptill, Colin Munro, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor and Tim Seifert got first crack in the current T20 squad, with Tom Bruce in for games four and five and Glenn Phillips pushing hard from the fringes.

Pocknall said Conway would be unlucky to miss New Zealand's T20 World Cup 15.

"He's consistently outperformed all the players he's competing with for the next level, and in some cases he's outperformed guys who are incumbents in the [Black Caps] team. It's pretty hard to ignore his sheer weight of runs.

"He's pretty experienced for a guy who's 28; he's played 100 first-class games in New Zealand and South Africa. He's played a heap of cricket and he's such a cool customer regardless of the scenario.

"We played a final the other day and he produced again. He consistently steps up in those big matches and scores runs against very good bowlers. Going into an international set-up he wouldn't be changing anything, he'd take it all in his stride and perform really well."

Surprisingly, Pocknall believed 50-over cricket was Conway's best format even if his Ford Trophy average was his lowest of the three in the past two seasons.

In 2018-19 he averaged 37.36 in 12 matches as the Firebirds won that title, and in five trophy matches this summer has 186 runs at 37.2.

"It's a good combination of the long form and short form and gives him time to adjust to the conditions and get himself in. He's also shown in T20 he can ramp it up quickly when he needs to."

Conway's work ethic rivals Williamson's - "he just loves batting in the nets" - and Pocknall said his steely focus on improvement set him apart.

"If you look at his stats you think 'how can he get better' but he's quite hard on himself and his performances and wants to get better statistically.

"He's not satisfied with what he's got. Underneath there's a huge amount of determination to get better. It's a pretty cool trait to have when you've absolutely dominated domestic cricket."

Last edited:

nzfan

Hah I see Pocknall remains unsure of whether to trust this notion that you can play anyone from Devon Conway to Joe Root in a game of international A cricket, but if it's possible, he's very keen to see Conway have a run for NZA. Disappointed the jocks sort of know this is an area of expertise where they could probably trust the nerds, but there's still this suspicion, they can't quite get there.

Run machine Devon Conway returns to coal face to move step closer to Black Caps

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...o-coal-face-to-move-step-closer-to-black-caps
They'll get him Conway in no doubt but depends on how this series will go. If we are struggling to put runs on board then he will get a go otherwise he'l have to wait up. I think the first preference will be given to William Young in one day and test cricket. Conway can slot into T20s. For that to happen one of Munro or Guptill if not both aren't batting all that well. You never know how it goes. Munro I thought struggled in the super smash but last night he was all right. Guptill has carried on scoring 30+ scores which is not bad for an opener with high strike rate. I can't see Conway fitting anywhere else in the side though. He has to be batting at the top of the inning. Now with Worker getting some runs for NZ A it's going to be interesting between Worker, Conway and Young who gets to go at the top of the order in the one dayers if Nicholls has to slot back to middle order and Munro is dropped.

Flem274*

123/5
nz A fc side basically has to be

rachin
conway
phillips
young
seifert
neesham
cleaver (wk)
jamieson
ajaz
tickner
sears

-the batting should be locked in if at full fitness. i wouldn't be averse to giving henry opportunities to develop at a lower grade that won't have a line of spuds facing him with a duke.
-bennett is a known quantity and should be in test reckoning.
-ferguson should be in the next test side if we have any balls (we don't)
-i wouldnt mind mcewan playing because it would be funny and he might h4x this level too

nzfan

Ford trophy starting tomorrow mostly depleted sides barring Otago as there's only one player involved in NZ or NZ A from Otago. Firebirds won't have Rachin, Blundell, Bennett, Newton and Jimmy. That's 5 match winners in their own right not available. There's be more reliance on Conway. In a way that's not bad, we get to test our bench strength.

nzfan

nz A fc side basically has to be

rachin
conway
phillips
young
seifert
neesham
cleaver (wk)
jamieson
ajaz
tickner
sears

-the batting should be locked in if at full fitness. i wouldn't be averse to giving henry opportunities to develop at a lower grade that won't have a line of spuds facing him with a duke.
-bennett is a known quantity and should be in test reckoning.
-ferguson should be in the next test side if we have any balls (we don't)
-i wouldnt mind mcewan playing because it would be funny and he might h4x this level too
The problem with this is we don't have many A series coming up. We have 1 one day and two 4 dayers for the season that's about it. I think they will likely use some of the NZ contracted players for the 4 day. Jeet Raval may slot in at the top of the inning to see if he can resurrect his career. Will Young likely to play as well. Matt Henry should be in the squad. If Sodhi is not picked he should be playing as well. Jimmy will obviously play I'd think.

I won't be surprised if it looks like this

Raval
Rutherford
Phillips
Young
Seifert
Neesham
Darryl Mitchell
Jamieson
Santner
Henry
Sodhi

Likely Ravindra will miss out if Raval opts to play.

If they are serious about Santner and Sodhi improving in long format they have to play them in the A series. Likely I'd think Ajaz and Somerville will be picked for the tests so will be unavailable.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
sodhi and santner should never play red ball cricket above shield level again and if rutherford plays ahead of rachin then that's silly as well. rutherford is what he is, we know what he does. good fc player and could push his way back in again but he hasn't made any changes to his game im aware of.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the thing with Rutherford is he's quite a good NZA player, quite a good NZA red ball record, unless there's an Archer in the oppo to retire him hurt, when he's done his customary thing of handling a short ball badly. Quite interesting to see what they do with him.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wellington Firebirds squad | Ford Trophy | Round Six

Michael Bracewell (c)

Jakob Bhula

Devon Conway

Fraser Colson

Andrew Fletcher

Jamie Gibson

Lauchie Johns

Adam Leonard

Iain McPeake

Michael Snedden

Logan Van Beek

Peter Younghusband
https://ndcricket.co.nz/news/Wagner-and-Watling-set-for-return-of-The-Ford-Trophy

NORTHERN DISTRICTS FORD TROPHY SQUAD - ROUND SIX V WELLINGTON FIREBIRDS

Joe Carter (c) Bay of Plenty

Dean Brownlie Bay of Plenty

Peter Bocock Hamilton

Henry Cooper Northland

Katene Clarke Counties Manukau

Anton Devcich Hamilton

Zak Gibson Waikato Valley

Brett Hampton Bay of Plenty

Brett Randell Northland

Anurag Verma Hamilton

Neil Wagner Bay of Plenty

Joe Walker Hamilton

BJ Watling Hamilton

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
BEN SMITH CAPTAIN AS WILL YOUNG RETURNS FOR STAGS

Will Young’s long-awaited return to the Central Stags and Ben Smith’s first appointment as Ford Trophy captain are the key features of a 12-strong squad named for the resumption of the one-day campaign in Dunedin tomorrow.

With regular captain Tom Bruce away on New Zealand A and BLACKCAPS duty, Smith, 29, will lead the Stags after having captained the Central Districts A team over the past two seasons.

CENTRAL STAGS squad

Round 6 • Central Stags v Otago Volts

University of Otago Oval, Dunedin

11AM • Sunday 26 January 2020

BEN Smith – captain – Whanganui

JOSH Clarkson – Nelson

DANE Cleaver – wicketkeeper – Manawatu

GREG Hay – Nelson

JAYDEN Lennox – Hawke's Bay

WILLEM Ludick – Nelson

KIERAN Noema-Barnett – Hawke's Bay

SETH Rance – Wairarapa

BRAD Schmulian – Hawke's Bay

RYAN Watson – Taranaki

BEN Wheeler – Marlborough

WILL Young – Taranaki

Unavailable for selection

Ross Taylor, Blair Tickner — BLACKCAPS

Tom Bruce — BLACKCAPS and NZ A

Ajaz Patel, George Worker — NZ A

Doug Bracewell, Adam Milne, Bevan Small, Ben Stoyanoff — injury/rehabilitation

Flem274*

123/5
Well the thing with Rutherford is he's quite a good NZA player, quite a good NZA red ball record, unless there's an Archer in the oppo to retire him hurt, when he's done his customary thing of handling a short ball badly. Quite interesting to see what they do with him.
yeah im aware, i picked him for cpl on the back of this lol. nz A is for talent refinement as much as fielding a genuine second team squad. would have no issue with him playing ahead of raval if they want him to go all the way back to auckland to fix up, but in a choice between him, raval and rachin it's raval and rachin for me. conway should be there with rachin though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A veteran down in the ND A engine room fires, and a return-to-form 99 for Jeet Raval. Once again the youth have largely played second fiddle to Johnny Journeyman at a provincial A fixture.

nzfan

Good to see some runs for Jeet Raval no matter where it's coming from. He's still young enough to have good 6-7 years of cricket. Hopefully he will pick up a contract in county like Jeetan Patel did. If he can get up to international cricket great otherwise still he can contribute heaps to Auckland and NZ Cricket. I feel Tom Blundell is only a stop gap opener for now. He'll eventually bat middle order once BJ Watling hangs up his boots. Jeet could still be a chance, you never quite know. Particularly in NZ you can't rule out anyone. Take the case of Sommerville and Bennett recently or even Ollie Newton now 31 selected to play for NZ A.

nzfan

Rutherford scored a lovely 100 vs India A at mount last year. I was there for work and dropped by to watch. Then came the one day games which were live and he got hit in the head by couple of India A bowlers so had to be stood down for nearly a month.

nzfan

Very keenly looking forward to Young's comeback. If he's good to go i.e batting well I think he could be named in the one day side vs India unless the selectors take the approach of wait and watch.