• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
ND is never particularly fussy when they decide it's time for one of their batting collapses, that's one of the problems. It's any port in a storm for them.

As for CW neglecting Smith, not really sure. There's Chubb who drops in here rarely, a poster who played quite a bit of cricket with Smith down in the South Island, he's a big fan. You've got the likes of Bahnz who'd look to what a domestic guy might be clocking on a gun before he'd allow himself some guarded optimism about that player's future (he's quite a pace floozy, but maybe also a wise floozy, seeing it's success in Australia or South Africa that'd give him the biggest kick to watch). Other regular posters would only get enthused if the bowler has height.

This thread was also a bit disappointed when Smith came back from that U19 TV game in Dhaka where he was getting a lot of outswing and nip off the pitch, we figured he'd surely get some of that nearly every game he played back in NZ, but he didn't. It took that Bay Oval greentop with KW and Watling playing (spring 2018) before we saw him bowling some very spicy wicket-taking deliveries to elite players again.
I wouldn't say he's in the CDG pace bracket. Surely he's still 130+. We don't have speed gun so can't figure. Besides this lad can bat and already has a 100 to his name. He's not a hack but a proper bat. You're right he's not very tall and likewise skids the ball rather than get extra bounce. Should be given a go at NZ A this year. He's fairly experienced already, 18 first class games, 20 List A and 13 T20s as of yesterday.

nzfan

Duffy, Finnie, Smith, even Nick Beard.

Not a good track record down in Voltsland this decade of making their U19s prospects better.

We've questioned the coaching on this board, probably easy to do with late years Vaughan Johnson who appears to have had some distractions. But, still seems an issue.

Smith still has some hope. His batting is good and actually may be showing signs of improvement each year. But 5 balls skied to the outfield in T20 doesn't get my spidey senses tingling, hard to tell (from the video scorecard) without ball-by-ball context whether it's just 5 skied hits or good bowling.
Proper off cutters mate, change of pace got most out. I wouldn't discredit his wickets.

jcas0167

International Debutant
That is gold. Funnily enough, in the highlights of the '85 series Bracewell was interviewed about his 83 at the SCG where he swept everything. Bracewell was a last minute replacement and missed Turner's team talk advising the players to be careful about sweeping.

jcas0167

International Debutant
@kippax, with that musical and hockey background Lidstone sounds like a future Christopher Doig. Hopefully he sticks with cricket.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeets' final Basin Reserve game would've been washed out if scheduled for yesterday. Looking okay today.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sniff, Jeets. I remember first reading his name in the paper when I was still in year 9. One more piece of my cricketing childhood gone.

Being honest, he was an unfulfilled talent, but at the same time he was an incredible soldier for both Wellington and Warwickshire. I'd been really hoping that he would get to 1000 FC wickets, which looks unlikely now, but all the same he's had an outstanding domestic career, and really wish all the best for him in his new coaching gig.

The Hutt Rec

That team photo is outstanding.
I wonder if it's from the first game at the stadium (although Patel didn't play in it, the rest of the players all look the same): Round 3: Wellington v Northern Districts at Wellington, 3-4 Jan 2000

First ever match at Westpac, so I remember heading along ... it was meant to be a day/night game the day before, but was rained out. I wore shorts and a t-shirt and was absolutely freezing as a gale blew through (haven't ever made that mistake at the stadium again). Also remember Bell keeping when Nevin injured himself.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was kind of hoping Jeets might slog the Firebirds to an unlikely win in his last game. No such luck.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if it's from the first game at the stadium (although Patel didn't play in it, the rest of the players all look the same): Round 3: Wellington v Northern Districts at Wellington, 3-4 Jan 2000
Probably just a '99/00 pre-season picture, seeing Twose was in Taupo playing an ODI that day. Very tough for me to identify that guy in the back row with Walker, Bulfin and coach VJ on the photo's right of him. There were Blackmores, Hotters, Mathers and Golders getting games around that time but he doesn't remind me of any of those.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was Phil Chandler a thing at that stage? I can't remember what he looked like.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Was Phil Chandler a thing at that stage? I can't remember what he looked like.
No last List A for Chandler was '98/99 (he took a U.K. job). That guy we're looking for wouldn't be too much older than Jeets.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No luck for Jeets but we almost got the mythical 'broken windshield on Rugby Street' moonshot this evening; I've been waiting years. A gale northerly we needed, not a southerly.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Probably just a '99/00 pre-season picture, seeing Twose was in Taupo playing an ODI that day. Very tough for me to identify that guy in the back row with Walker, Bulfin and coach VJ on the photo's right of him. There were Blackmores, Hotters, Mathers and Golders getting games around that time but he doesn't remind me of any of those.
Is it Grant Donaldson? That photo brings home what incredible longevity Patel has had in the game. I wonder if in 99/00 anyone had been around at first class/list A level since 79/80? Off the top of my head Hadlee and Wright would be the only NZ players who lasted 20 years.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
im really really really bored so i thought i'd do some best elevens during my cricket watching time for each team. players will be given to who you'd associate them with the most (so styris = nd) unless they're not required for their ideal team. heavy weighting given to international success.

auckland

tim mcintosh
matt horne
martin guptill
lou vincent
colin munro
colin de grandhomme
adam parore
kyle mills
andre adams
will somerville
lockie ferguson

northern districts

daniel flynn
dean brownlie
kane williamson
scott styris
hamish marshall
bj watling
corey anderson
daniel vettori
tim southee
daryl tuffey
trent boult

central districts

jamie how
peter ingram
mathew sinclair
ross taylor
jesse ryder
jacob oram
kruger van wyk
doug bracewell
adam milne
michael mason
ajaz patel

wellington

mathew bell
michael papps (canterbury don't need him lol)
devon conway
neal parlane
chris nevin
luke ronchi
grant elliott
james franklin (the bowling version)
jeetan patel
mark gillespie
iain o'brien

canterbury

tom latham
peter fulton
stephen fleming
nathan astle
craig mcmillan
chris cairns
chris harris
...cameron fletcher?
paul wiseman
shane bond
chris martin

otago

mark richardson
hamish rutherford
aaron redmond
brendon mccullum
neil broom
jimmy neesham
derek de boorder
mark craig
ian butler
neil wagner
shayne o'connor

wellington in particular was hard. easy bowling, but been a while between batsmen that didn't have ties to other provinces.
Even though he struggled at international level you need to have Craig Cumming in that Otago top order.