• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
New Zealand had an absolute insane amount of talent (for a country of our size) come through during that 2008-2010 period of Under 19 cricket.

Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Matt Henry, Doug Bracewell, Adam Milne, Lockie Ferguson, Ben Wheeler and even Andrew Mathieson who managed an ODI a few years ago now. Bevan Small, who after Tim Southee was probably the best teenage bowler I’ve ever seen in this country was in that 2010 World Cup team too.

Henry, Milne and Ferguson actually all missed out on making that 2010 World Cup squad, that’s how stacked they were. Nine months later Adam Milne was running in for New Zealand bowling at 150k
I think in few years time you could say the same about the 2016 U19s side. The side had the likes of Rachin Ravindra, Glenn Phillips, Finn Allen, Nathan Smith, Josh Clarkson, Ben Sears, Josh Finnie, Zak Gibson, Christian Leopard to name few. They didn't win much but I think this lot will contribute heavily to the Black Caps side in few years to come.

2019 was all right but with Jacob Bhula showing his worth but can't think of too many other than of course the carry overs like Rachin Ravindra, Finn Allen, Felix Murray.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
ROSS TAYLOR, JOEY FIELD IN SHIELD SQUAD

CENTRAL STAGS SQUAD | PLUNKET SHIELD | ROUND ONE OF EIGHT

10.30am, Monday 21 - Thursday 24 October 2019

Auckland Aces v Central Stags

Eden Park Outer Oval, Auckland

GREG HAY— captain, Nelson

GEORGE WORKER— Manawatū

DANE CLEAVER— wicketkeeper, Manawatū

JOSEPH FIELD — Hawke’s Bay

WILLEM LUDICK — Nelson

AJAZ PATEL — Hawke’s Bay

SETH RANCE — Wairarapa

BRAD SCHMULIAN — Hawke’s Bay

BEN SMITH — Whanganui

ROSS TAYLOR — BLACKCAPS

BLAIR TICKNER — Hawke’s Bay

BEN WHEELER— Marlborough

Taylor’s availability is timely for the Stags who will be without the services of a number of regular performers.Will Young (working his way back from a labrum repair — shoulder), Tom Bruce (minor knee surgery), Adam Milne (off season ankle surgery), Doug Bracewell, Bevan Small (both with knee injuries) and Kieran Noema-Barnett (side) all sit on the injury bench for now.
https://aucklandcricket.co.nz/aces/aces-near-full-strength-for-stags-clash/

Auckland ACES
Robert O’Donnell (c)
Jamie Brown
Mark Chapman
Martin Guptill
Ben Horne
Kyle Jamieson
Ben Lister
Matt McEwan
Glenn Phillips
Jeet Raval
Sean Solia
Will Somerville
https://www.cricketwellington.co.nz/newsarticle/83390

Wellington Firebirds squad | Plunket Shield | Round One

Michael Bracewell (Eastern Suburbs) (C)

Hamish Bennett (North City)

Tom Blundell (Karori)

Fraser Colson (Eastern Suburbs)

Devon Conway (VUWCC)

Iain McPeake (Hutt District)

Jimmy Neesham (Hutt District)

Ollie Newton (Upper Hutt)

Malcolm Nofal (VUWCC)

Rachin Ravindra (Hutt District)

Ben Sears (Hutt District)

Logan Van Beek (Taita)

Howsie

International Captain

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I wish Otago had picked Thorn Parkes.
Not much of a chance for Parkes to stake a claim over Dale Phillips yet. In club scores, a strong North East Valley have had Parkes a bit wasted down at No. 6 in the four T20s played so far; 15 runs from two knocks. Phillips had a 94 and has made 132 in total, but you could be right in seeking that Parkes over Phillips call in red ball cricket. You occasionally get some unsophisticated whackers like CD's Tryon who managed to top the runscorers at the U19 nationals without ever filtering through into FC, but I'm not sure Parkes was one of them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
For a second I thought they had already named the New Zealand team......
Not that I want to filter wind up your ND behind, but it would have to be nigh-on the first time a FC side has been assembled with 11 guys who have represented NZ? And in fact, the whole 12 if Southee carries the drinks?

TAB bringing the heat putting them as outside favourites.

nzfan

This year my interest has shifted from Finn Allen, Rachin Ravindra, Ben Sears to Jacob Bhula, Dale Phillips and Felix Murray (hoping he's going to get a good go with CD this season). Always nice to follow domestic cricket. ND looks outstanding. Excellent line up from Canterbury and ND. Auckland and CD ain't bad either. Glad to see so many internationals turning up for this round of Plunkett Shield. Weather could play spoilsport though.

nzfan

Not that I want to filter wind up your ND behind, but it would have to be nigh-on the first time a FC side has been assembled with 11 guys who have represented NZ? And in fact, the whole 12 if Southee carries the drinks?

TAB bringing the heat putting them as outside favourites.
I can't quite figure how ND aren't favorites?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Not much of a chance for Parkes to stake a claim over Dale Phillips yet. In club scores, a strong North East Valley have had Parkes a bit wasted down at No. 6 in the four T20s played so far; 15 runs from two knocks. Phillips had a 94 and has made 132 in total, but you could be right in seeking that Parkes over Phillips call in red ball cricket. You occasionally get some unsophisticated whackers like CD's Tryon who managed to top the runscorers at the U19 nationals without ever filtering through into FC, but I'm not sure Parkes was one of them.
Yes, that followed him top scoring in the Gillette Cup too. My impression from the clips last season was he had some real finesse in his batting. Foxcroft should be an excellent addition to the Otago side too.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I hadn't heard of Otago's opener Cam Hawkins before. The ODT had a profile on him last season:

'''It has been a dream of mine since I was a young kid. I moved over here from Australia to try to pursue it, so it has been a pretty big week for me. Hopefully I'll go well.''

Hawkins was born in Christchurch and spent part of his childhood in Hamilton. He moved to Sydney with his family when he was 10 but moved back to New Zealand to chase his cricket ambitions and to study physiotherapy when he was 20.

''Physio is a big passion of mine as well. I'm managing both at the same time but cricket is definitely the top priority at the moment.''

Hawkins had drawn the attention of the selectors with a fabulous season for his club side last summer.

The compact right-hander was the leading scorer in the competition with 776 runs at an average of 55.40.

Anyone who can average more than 50 on Dunedin wickets must have a solid defence and impeccable discipline - two characteristics that will aid him in his debut performance.
Hawkins described himself as technically correct but ''not one of the bigger hitters''.

''I'm just focused on good leaves outside the off stump and waiting for anything in my zone which is a bit too full or short.

''I quite like the short ball. Growing up in Australia, that is how I learned to play, by sitting on the back foot and waiting for anything short.''
https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/muso-hoping-strike-right-note

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Highlight clips seem a lot better quality this year.

Boult getting a classic Trenty-LB against Latham, sick burn.