• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

jcas0167

International Debutant
Working his way up the records

385 Bert Sutcliffe Otago v Canterbury at Christchurch 1952/53
355 Bert Sutcliffe Otago v Auckland at Dunedin 1949/50
338* Roger Blunt Otago v Canterbury at Christchurch 1931/32
336* Wally Hammond England v New Zealand at Auckland 1932/33
334 Dean Brownlie Northern Districts v Central Districts at New Plymouth 2014/15
317 Ken Rutherford New Zealand v D.B.Close XI at Scarborough 1986
316* Michael Papps Wellington v Auckland at Wellington 2017/18
My late grandad saw the Hammond one :-)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, looks like most of his runs came from his time with Gauteng. Averaged 21 for both the Dolphins (9 matches) and the Lions (12 matches) .

I still rate our first-class bowling attacks though, so his form with Wellington gives him a lot of credibility.
Yeah it's very possible he has taken his game to another level in NZ, will be interesting to see how he progresses

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, looks like most of his runs came from his time with Gauteng. Averaged 21 for both the Dolphins (9 matches) and the Lions (12 matches) .

I still rate our first-class bowling attacks though so his form with Wellington gives him a lot of credibility.

I don't anymore.

There was a moment. Maybe 2012 to 2014 or 2015ish when I did. There was a mix of old pros and young guns on the scene and each of the 6 provinces had a good 4 or 5 bowlers each.

Now if I count out how many NZ first-class level bowlers there who are still active. I count 23 (enough on paper to make almost 8 teams worth) but only 9 are playing in this round. Which means on average 1 and a half FC level bowlers per current side. (and 2 of those 9 are seriously declined or declining; N Smith and E Nuttall).

nzfan

Devon Conway never looked like getting out, with the way Canterbury were bowling likely he would have got 500.

Tom Latham nicked one early in the inning and the slips grassed it. Would have been a great way to start the inning and knocking over a big player like Tom would have been the best start but not to be.Drop catch.jpg

Last edited:

nzfan

I don't anymore.

There was a moment. Maybe 2012 to 2014 or 2015ish when I did. There was a mix of old pros and young guns on the scene and each of the 6 provinces had a good 4 or 5 bowlers each.

Now if I count out how many NZ first-class level bowlers there who are still active. I count 23 (enough on paper to make almost 8 teams worth) but only 9 are playing in this round. Which means on average 1 and a half FC level bowlers per current side. (and 2 of those 9 are seriously declined or declining; N Smith and E Nuttall).
To a certain extent I agree with this but then how can the batters then prove their worth? If you can't go by domestic cricket barometer which one would you go with?

Immenso

To a certain extent I agree with this but then how can the batters then prove their worth? If you can't go by domestic cricket barometer which one would you go with?
In the age of test players not playing domestics. Domestics is the barometer to select for NZ A, NZ A is the barometer for national selection.

Huge fault with approach is lack of A cricket. a player being injured when an A series happens.

Just a general lament, really. When the Live scorecards go live at the start of play on Day 1 I quite enthusiastically open it up. I used to go 'cool, so-and-so will be bating soon, so-and-so is bowling, I'll keep this tab open". Now, i'm like meh. Mostly ineligible second division South Africans and nobodies.

Plunket Shield has usually been a bit meh, but there was a little golden period there for about 2 or 3 years.

nzfan

In the age of test players not playing domestics. Domestics is the barometer to select for NZ A, NZ A is the barometer for national selection.

Huge fault with approach is lack of A cricket. a player being injured when an A series happens.

Just a general lament, really. When the Live scorecards go live at the start of play on Day 1 I quite enthusiastically open it up. I used to go 'cool, so-and-so will be bating soon, so-and-so is bowling, I'll keep this tab open". Now, i'm like meh. Mostly ineligible second division South Africans and nobodies.

Plunket Shield has usually been a bit meh, but there was a little golden period there for about 2 or 3 years.
I hear ya... the quality of bowling after couple of guys is quite horrendous or maybe canterbury bowlers were having an off day. Just looked at ND bowling line up and outside of Boult and Wagner it's quite bare. Imagine if both those guys miss out which they will once test cricket starts?

For some reason we are back to not having too many A tours this year. NZ cricket is purely banking on India to make the A tours happen. Can't understand why they can't get shadow series going? Such as have England Lions touring NZ at the same time as England plays BCs. Or even better if NZ A can tour England, Ireland and maybe even play Pakistan on their way back during our winter. Ideal pathway should be the way you proposed. I think NZ must have the least A tours compared to all other nations. Now with the new Spark sign up surely they can plan for the next 2-3 years. That said demands to pay the women cricket also has gone up so likely A tours is going to be neglected.

jcas0167

International Debutant

Remember in the late 90's they briefly introduced Conference Cricket - North, Central and South? I think Mark Greatbatch said it was the toughest first class cricket he'd played in NZ?

The Hutt Rec

That period was funny, in that it was partially caused by how pathetic the national side had been. You ended up with each domestic side having a pretty large percentage of players with international experience, solely because the Blackcaps turned over so many players. So it was a bad time for us internationally, but weirdly a great period domestically.

And it probably helped the players who came through in that time on to better things, I reckon.

We might not have that now, but I still think the Plunket Shield is a pretty decent level.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
And a good first wicket for Michael Bracewell. Picking up Nicholls, no less.
That's Plunket Shield cricket for you. One round you're the most important up-and-coming Black Caps batsman, the next round you're some schmo getting out to a batsman's part time pies.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Inevitable Latham century following the dropped catch. Luddick getting beaten all ends up by Boult is a satisfying highlight clip.