• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clutch Players.

Chrish

International Debutant
Smith is the only one who can be consistently considered "clutch" among players that I have seen. I have said in other thread as well. The pressure of redeeming himself after the ban would have destroyed vast majority of Cricketers.

It's as clutch as humanly possible.

Jack1

International Debutant
Ben Stokes is proven to be horrendous with the ball at the death, most notably getting smashed by Brathwaite off the last over of a world final. That's a big problem you have including Stokes, he's an all-rounder that is the opposite of clutch with the ball. He threw away some key games with the ball at the death. The fact he won 2 with the bat in incredibly lucky fashion doesn't mean he deserves to be in the list with the bat either because he doesn't in my view. We won the final partly down to luck, the overthrows not only hitting the bat but getting scored wrong, he took that game so deep he almost hit the core of the earth - all whilst Buttler was desperately trying to score a run a ball minimum to keep England in the game, Buttler was the obvious MVP for that game (taking no emotion into account) counter balancing Stokes's overly cautious effort (but people can't help feeling sorry for Ben and his ways, so over estimate his efforts in that game and others). The game at Leeds he was stone dead plumb with 2 to win not to mention he was dropped a few times. I'm going to be honest as a result and not putting Stokes in the list. Yes great wins, but hardly clutch play. Fair is fair. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I'm also being to the point. I don't care if he reads this either.

As for the list I'll think about it, plenty of factors at play.

The most obvious one to come to mind is probably Neesham in the world cup super over. The guy played out of his mind in that over. Archer was not hittable practically the whole tournament and got blasted by Neesham for 6 in the super over amongst other things and he played a great world cup. So number one on the list for me might be Neesham under pressure compared to his normal level of ability.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith is the only one who can be consistently considered "clutch" among players that I have seen. I have said in other thread as well. The pressure of redeeming himself after the ban would have destroyed vast majority of Cricketers.

Fair comment. Even made an 80 odd in the WC semi when everyone else ****ed up around him. Just steps it up when he's needed. Remarkable mental strength.

I think a large part of being a clutch player at anything is an ability to compartmentalize effectively. Smith does it overtly - you can literally see the bubble he's batting in. The ability to shut things out and purely focus on what's before you is an incredible asset - Warne 2005 a great example. Bloke was apparently in tears most nights as his marriage fell apart during that tour, but he produced arguably his greatest series as a player. Gritty tstl.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stokes has played 2 of the best clutch performances in history with bat and 1 of the worst in history with ball

Pretty funny really

Jack1

International Debutant
And Stokes was dropped three times at Headingly. Presumably that means everything he did wasn't a clutch performance.
I can't remember how many times he got dropped, but he was plumb too with 2 to win. Clutch should equal chanceless with the bat. I wouldn't consider defending 10 in the last over in a world cup final with 3 long hops and 3 full tosses clutch even if it took 3 wickets for 6 runs in the over.

TheJediBrah

John makes a good point. Stokes' innings both in the Ashes and the WC final were heavily reliant on luck. However they still happened and he got his side over the line (or to the line) when no one else did.

Daemon

This is like the 50th time I've read a post of yours talking about how lucky that Stokes innings was, followed by a disclaimer that it was still a good innings lol

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

I agree that Smith has proven to be a great clutch player but pressure of redeeming himself is as relevant as pressure faced by Tendulkar because of being revered as a demi-God by cricket mad country i.e. not relevant at all.

TheJediBrah

This is like the 50th time I've read a post of yours talking about how lucky that Stokes innings was, followed by a disclaimer that it was still a good innings lol
and? A perfect analysis like that deserves more than one mention IMO

trundler

Judging by what he does post, I really don't want to know a TJB opinion that's been censored tbh.

TheJediBrah

Judging by what he does post, I really don't want to know a TJB opinion that's been censored tbh.
The word "opinion" implies that it is not an objective fact and that there are conflicting opinions, or room for conflicting opinions

Daemon

I agree that Smith has proven to be a great clutch player but pressure of redeeming himself is as relevant as pressure faced by Tendulkar because of being revered as a demi-God by cricket mad country i.e. not relevant at all.
It is well established that Sachin Tendulkar faced #pressure like no other. Imagine scoring hundred after hundred but losing because your teammates are **** and your fast bowlers are vegetarians, only to come home and find people burning a life sized effigy of you outside your home where your wife and child reside.

But then again plenty of SC players are used to this #pressure. Many of them come from poor backgrounds and have their parents mortgage a house to send them to a cricket academy, with no guarantee of any returns and no backup career option. Brutal.

Meanwhile the young Devereuxs and Kohlis of the world are dropped off to cricket practice every day by mum, given throw downs by Dad, are bought the latest gear every Christmas and attend Piano lessons on their rest days.