• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's batting in the 90s

a massive zebra

International Captain
Man for man, the 1990s English batting lineup was significantly better than the current one. Stewart (as non keeping opener) and Thorpe were close to Root level, while Atherton and Hick (if treated appropriately) would both be the second best batsman in the current side. Even Hussain was at least as good a batsman as Stokes, if less eye catching.

a massive zebra

International Captain
And they all either sucked or weren't any better than #8's at Test level.
They might not have been international standard batsman, but DeFreitas and Cork did not suck as bowlers. Cork in particular was a very canny swing bowler who could move the ball both ways and bowl with consistent accuracy. You don't get over 100 Test wickets @ under 30 without being a very capable bowler. His batting was merely a useful ad on.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was made into a keeper batsman rather than a world class opener.

If only we'd had a world class keeper who was decent enough with the bat by the standards of the day available. Oh wait...
Yeah and if only we picked the best bowler in county cricket through the entire decade for more than a couple of tests against a rampant Aussie side in 93 when we were making about 4 changes a match until we dragged him back aged 35 for a couple at the end. Caddick, Gough and Bicknell would have been a very useful attack.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The first thing Ray Illingworth did when he became chairman of selectors was to pick Rhodes on the basis that he wanted a proper keeper. That lasted about a year before it was straight back to Alex Stewart as the supposed "all rounder".

Jack1

International Debutant
It's funny how much Ramps clutched it against Australia
It actually is. Thanks for that, I honestly didn't realise. It may have been mentioned before but I never noticed. That really is an odd anomaly that he performed for England most during Ashes averaging 42.4 in 12 matches vs Aus. Don't you find that weird when he averaged low 20s vs SA, WI and NZ? Strange.

I think it's partly that even vs Aus Ramps never looked impressed by his own performances . It was quite a long time ago and gone out my memory bank.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think he means Russell. Not sure when abouts he was on a decline though and would the output have been enough even if it was the 90s wicket-keeper.
I do mean Russell who was left out because of his supposed inferior batting.

The stupid thing was that Stewart as a keeper batsman averaged 32 but 47 as a batsman only whilst Russell was a Test player.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

I do mean Russell who was left out because of his supposed inferior batting.

The stupid thing was that Stewart as a keeper batsman averaged 32 but 47 as a batsman only whilst Russell was a Test player.
Yeah and Russell averaged 27 anyway and was a vastly superior keeper. It never made any sense.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Standardizing for conditions would make Atherton and Stewart look a lot better.

Some have argued that when adjusted for context Atherton is better than Matthew Hayden.

He's also my all time favourite cricketer so there is a fanboy element

morgieb

They might not have been international standard batsman, but DeFreitas and Cork did not suck as bowlers. Cork in particular was a very canny swing bowler who could move the ball both ways and bowl with consistent accuracy. You don't get over 100 Test wickets @ under 30 without being a very capable bowler. His batting was merely a useful ad on.
Hence the "weren't any better than #8's at Test level". Cork, DeFreitas and even (in certain conditions) Croft were all Test standard with the ball (and Tudor might've been had he not been screwed by injuries/clocked by Lee), but none of them could be considered all-rounders and the fact that they were said a lot.

flibbertyjibber

Hence the "weren't any better than #8's at Test level". Cork, DeFreitas and even (in certain conditions) Croft were all Test standard with the ball (and Tudor might've been had he not been screwed by injuries/clocked by Lee), but none of them could be considered all-rounders and the fact that they were said a lot.
They were all in and around the Swann standard with the bat which was a number 8 who ended up at 9 because Broad was better than him at the time they played.

morgieb

English selectors, incompetent since forever.
Don't think it's a coincidence the one period they were competent (the 04/05 era and 09-12) England were at their best.

Though I think the current sides predicament has just as much to do with lack of talent than anything else. The 90's was less forgiveable as you could get a good XI (if not up to the standards of Australia/South Africa) but the selectors/management were just horrid at harnessing talent.

Groundking

International Debutant
Don't think it's a coincidence the one period they were competent (the 04/05 era and 09-12) England were at their best.

Though I think the current sides predicament has just as much to do with lack of talent than anything else. The 90's was less forgiveable as you could get a good XI (if not up to the standards of Australia/South Africa) but the selectors/management were just horrid at harnessing talent.
No I agree the current side is poor because of a lack of talent, but even then we've still bit helped ourselves, picking roy to open for example, and almost never picking batsmen when they were in red hot form (burns last summer, meant he had to come through 2 difficult away series when first trying to get to grips with test cricket

ImpatientLime

International Regular
No I agree the current side is poor because of a lack of talent, but even then we've still bit helped ourselves, picking roy to open for example, and almost never picking batsmen when they were in red hot form (burns last summer, meant he had to come through 2 difficult away series when first trying to get to grips with test cricket
not sure we can accuse them of being reluctant to try new openers. they've trialled every single opener with an english passport who showed a jot of form in the past 6/7 years. its not their fault that most of them were hopeless.

Groundking

International Debutant
not sure we can accuse them of being reluctant to try new openers. they've trialled every single opener with an english passport who showed a jot of form in the past 6/7 years. its not their fault that most of them were hopeless.
Jennings was persisted with for far too long.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
most of them now locked away
Before the time of most in this thread but I believe there's an Atherton V Hayden thread. Maybe just Hussain V Hayden, they all tended to blur into one

Seem to recall a Gilchrist V Nick Knight thread too

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Before the time of most in this thread but I believe there's an Atherton V Hayden thread. Maybe just Hussain V Hayden, they all tended to blur into one

Seem to recall a Gilchrist V Nick Knight thread too
As I remember it a previous forum member had the theory that Matthew Hayden wouldn't have been a Test class batsman in any other era because it was batsman friendly and he had certain weaknesses. Atherton and Hussain on the other hand were deemed to be Test class batsman. On the back of that someone said that by default it must mean that Hussain > Hayden. I don't think he ever actually made that statement (maybe). It was more "people reading what they want to read rather than what was written."

****Disclaimer****
This post is for information purposes only and the content does not require a lengthy debate.

The actual thread is still there, but I don't want to read it.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/23922-hayden-vs-hussain.html

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't much like you, did he
There were loads of people he didn't like. I've never been concerned by such things. Most people at that time were pretty anonymous. It was hard to tell who was serious and who was on a wind up. I was a bit of both at the time, but trash posting on forums these days is rather old hat. The insults and one liners just don't work.