• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith v Kohli (test match batting)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think it's probably closer than it feels right now but this is kind of a weird time to start this thread.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's actually pretty crazy how clear the batting hierarchy is in tests at the moment. Smith, followed by a gap, then Kohli and Williamson followed by another gap to the best of the rest. Don't think Root is even a standout over the likes of Pujara or Taylor in the best of the rest category these days.

I wonder if there was ever a period where the general order of Sachin, Ponting, Lara and Kallis was so clear. Maybe the mid 2000s when Ponting was dominating and Sachin was having a slump?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's almost like Smith has lapped the others in this race so it looks like it's close to a casual observer but it's really not.

the big bambino

International Captain
He's not that far ahead but to comfortably shade a batsman of Kohli's historical standing does give you some idea of how good he's been.

vcs

There's no shame in being 2nd best to a guy averaging 65. It might become an argument if Smith has an extended lean patch and Kohli has another year like 2016-17, but not before then. It feels like Smith spent his year off practising hard and tuning up his mental game even further.

vcs

Kohli was really good between 2016-18 and Smith was banned for the last year which obviously made the debate legitimate for a while, but in one series Smith's shown that he's not lost any of his abilities.

Chrish

International Debutant
Smith.. His comeback couldn't have been more epic. Was humiliated at the airport, cried during the interview and everyone had massive doubt about his ability after getting back. Also got booed by the crowd after scoring those hundreds. This pressure would have destroyed most other players (look at Warner for example). I also like his selfless approach. He bats for the team, not just for numbers..

On a side note, how massive is Kohli's workload? I mean playing these tests along with ODIs, T20s, IPL; doesn't management care about resting him more often to prevent burnouts and injury?

ma1978

International 12th Man
Debate on CW gives almost zero adjustment for conditions. Once Kohli and Smith are standardized for conditions, the difference between them is modest (I think before the Ashes Kohli was even slightly ahead). Smith is probably ahead after the Ashes but I doubt by much. I use PEWS standardized averages as a benchmark