• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith v Kohli (test match batting)

Flem274*

123/5
the english attack sent down barely plunket shield standard stuff. after a little bit of struggle they would just give up, archer in particular who seemed content to plod in at tim southee pace. they've lifted really well for south africa and, dare i say it given the recent australian tour, been met with a less competent batting line up.

the exception was stokes, who was his usual ball busting self even returning from injury.

edit - 'gave up' might be too harsh, but they don't appear to understand the length adjustment you need to make in nz and their media threw a fit over flat pitches and the kookaburra instead.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the english attack sent down barely plunket shield standard stuff. after a little bit of struggle they would just give up, archer in particular who seemed content to plod in at tim southee pace. they've lifted really well for south africa and, dare i say it given the recent australian tour, been met with a less competent batting line up.

the exception was stokes, who was his usual ball busting self even returning from injury.

edit - 'gave up' might be too harsh, but they don't appear to understand the length adjustment you need to make in nz and their media threw a fit over flat pitches and the kookaburra instead.
Who, quite frankly, was fortunate not to be watching proceedings from a 6x8 cell in Pentonville Road Prison.

Burgey

That’s a matter for you. The incontrovertible truth which we all agree upon is that he most certainly should have been watching proceedings from a cell in Pentonville Road Gaol.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
It's kind of weird. We are all lauding Smith's far superior brilliance, yet he is only gettting to 7000 a handful of innings quicker than the next bunch of ATG contenders. Smith is not a shade on what Bradman was like. Just merely what Hammond was like.
Bradman and Hammond played in the most batting friendly era with a lack of express pace bowlers while Smith did most of his batting in the most bowling friendly era and started as a leg spinner.

And no i'm not saying he is even close to Bradman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It depends what you mean by "this era" I suppose. If you just mean since mid-2019, yeah maybe. Smith is used an example of not making runs in that video despite boasting a Test average of 60 though. If Hammond debuted when Smith did I think he'd have a similar output.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
I think home conditions have a bigger influence on your average than the era you play in does. South Africa and England were still pretty bowler friendly before 2018.

TheJediBrah

I think home conditions have a bigger influence on your average than the era you play in does. South Africa and England were still pretty bowler friendly before 2018.
Depends on the player. Smith's average away from home is 57.5 which is barely different from his career average.

Then you've got a Joe Root who averages more in England than away from it so England being "pretty bowler friendly" hasn't really been a factor there

Unless you can demonstrate that a player has a big discrepancy between home and away performances then, effectively, home conditions don't have much of an influence on average at all

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Depends on the player. Smith's average away from home is 57.5 which is barely different from his career average.

Then you've got a Joe Root who averages more in England than away from it so England being "pretty bowler friendly" hasn't really been a factor there

Unless you can demonstrate that a player has a big discrepancy between home and away performances then, effectively, home conditions don't have much of an influence on average at all
Yeah, that’s a fair way of looking at it although I do rate players higher if their home conditions are statistically tough even if their overall performances at home are better.

TheJediBrah

For me, reliability on home conditions is more of a factor to mark a player down on. As if their away average isn't great but they make up for it by dominating at home (eg. Warner, Williamson) there's something lacking there to be compared to the real greats

I agree that a player that has honed their game to play well at home if home conditions are difficult, eg. Root, they deserve plenty of credit for that too