• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2019/20

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The state of origin is apparently scheduled for November. With football running so late I wonder if we might see a truncated shield season. I know it's AFL that uses the cricket grounds but I assume they're running similarly late.

Had a tradie come round and when I told him the NRL is likely to start up in late May he was over the moon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The state of origin is apparently scheduled for November. With football running so late I wonder if we might see a truncated shield season. I know it's AFL that uses the cricket grounds but I assume they're running similarly late.

Had a tradie come round and when I told him the NRL is likely to start up in late May he was over the moon.
It may depend on whether crowds are allowed by that point. No reason for the NRL to use the grounds with cricket pitches if noone can go anyway - might as well play at Concord Oval.

I wouldn't really see the need to shorten the Shield season anyway - worst comes to worst the NRL will not be interested in Hurstville, Coffs Harbour, Manuka, Blacktown etc, so NSW could always just play the first few rounds there. Noone plays rugby league at the Gabba or the MCG either, or outside the east coast at all.

AFL could be a bigger problem but I'm not really up to date on their restart plans.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Here in Adelaide I imagine Karen Rolton Oval would be available for pretty much the whole summer. AFL would definitely go to the various SANFL grounds long before hosting games there

The whole idea of a shortened Shield season is just horrific

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here in Adelaide I imagine Karen Rolton Oval would be available for pretty much the whole summer. AFL would definitely go to the various SANFL grounds long before hosting games there

If the pandemic had struck 6 months later the whole thing might have been cancelled

(still might tbf)

stephen

It might be done for financial reasons as much as corona reasons.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It might be done for financial reasons as much as corona reasons.
In any rational universe the Shield should be the absolute last thing that should be considered as an area to make savings. Australia simply cannot have a competitive national team without a competitive domestic system.

Plenty of dead weight to be trimmed from the boardroom at Jolimont St long before anything else should be done

Starfighter

I suppose we may as well gaze over the contracts lists.

Cricket Australia contracted men’s players: Ashton Agar, Joe Burns, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

Cricket Australia contracted women’s players: Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Rachael Haynes, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Delissa Kimmince, Meg Lanning, Tahlia McGrath, Sophie Molineux, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland, Tayla Vlaeminck, Georgia Wareham

Starfighter

Surprised Maxwell is still there. Maybe with the World T20 (theoretically atm) coming up. Looks like Burns will be getting another go as opener despite being rather disappointing after the Brisbane test.

Starfighter

Being stuck with Head and Wade in the middle order is a bit bleah. For Patterson to get picked I'm guessing both of those two and probably Maddinson as well would have to be injured, though I consider them all inferior batsmen. Also looks like decent chances of MMarsh getting another chance to prove he's not test material.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I like Patterson and hope to see him back, but he really did get injured at the most inoppurtune time last season. There's no reason whatsoever why Head's place should be in question, but I would definitely take Patterson over Wade (or mad dog) pretty much any day

Frankly it wouldn't completely surprise me if they try to meme KPat into an opener at some point in the medium term future. Not saying they should do that, but I can definitely see it happening

stephen

Hohns said that Mitch Marsh was a fine cricketer and implied he'd be back in the Aussie setup.

stephen

Concrete Feet is locked in IMO. Shouldn't have been dropped at all (though tbf Wade tonned up when he was iirc).

Gnske

Head will do a fantastic job in the middle order and will put his Hands to good use and not to Comb.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TJB in making bold claims and then backtracking when being questioned shock
you're doing that thing where you get really triggered and it affects your comprehension. I was even pretending I liked Travis Head more than I actually do to try and avoid exactly that.

I didn't backtrack on anything