• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best current International Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
In my opinion Dav Whatmore, the current Bangladesh Coach, must rank as one of the best coaches in International cricket today. He previously coached Sri Lanka and helped them win the World Cup. He was also responsible for selecting and coaching some of their current cricketers and raising their standard in Test Cricket. The recent performances of Bangladesh in West Indies and their performances against England, suggest that he may have done it again, in making them perform far higher than what they did before him.(as he did with the Lankans). The small pool of talent, lack of resources, the lack of formal coaching of some of their cricketers and the poor quality of First Class Cricket in these two countries makes his achievement all the more commendable.

Some would argue that Duncan Fletcher should be considered as the best current International Coach. But the large pool of talented cricketers that are available and the resources that are available make the comparison with Dav Whatmore very lop-sided.

John Wright would come close in this comparison, in considering the high achievements of India in the past year. But again he has a very skilled bunch of cricketers to work with and refining their technique and thinking may have been his forte.

While John Buchanan is a great coach, the highly talented pool of cricketers he has to coach, makes the comparison difficult.
What do others think? I personally think Dav Whatmore deserves a lot of credit for the improved performances of the two Teams he has been associated with. He could arguably be regarded as the best Current International Coach.

Last edited:

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I will vote for Wright as well. After his arrival (and sourav becoming captain), the Indian team has changed completely.

Sudeep

International Captain
Agree, John Wright and Dave Whatmore.

John Buchanan is good too, but he has an easier job than the above two.

Duncan Flethcer is close too.

biased indian

International Coach
Sudeep Popat said:
Agree, John Wright and Dave Whatmore.

John Buchanan is good too, but he has an easier job than the above two.

Duncan Flethcer is close too.
who are the coaches of other teams???

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
John Wright has formed an Indian side capable of beating anyone. He gets my vote. Whatmore has done well though.
Whatmore has done more IMO - he's made Bangladesh into a side that can win sessions and even days now...

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Whatmore has done more IMO - he's made Bangladesh into a side that can win sessions and even days now...
it has to be whatmore bangladesh even might win the test (hoping so)

Craig

World Traveller
Steve Rixon anybody?

He managed to get the best out of Chris Cairns and Adam Parore and changed the NZ side as it was in the mid-90s.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Craig said:
Steve Rixon anybody?

He managed to get the best out of Chris Cairns and Adam Parore and changed the NZ side as it was in the mid-90s.
He doesn't coach internationally anymore, though. May as well bring up someone from the 50's. :p

biased indian

International Coach
Craig said:
Steve Rixon anybody?

its todays not tommorows are yestredays

chicane

State Captain
Dav Whatmore certainly has improved Bangladesh no end. They have looked far more competitive against the West Indies who are in poor form though. Bangladesh needs to win a Test. John Wright has transformed the Indians from a bunch of underachievers to professional near world beaters. Though Ganguly also has played a role. For me, John Wright is the best coach India have ever had, and IMO the best in the world.

Sudeep

International Captain
chicane said:
Dav Whatmore certainly has improved Bangladesh no end. They have looked far more competitive against the West Indies who are in poor form though. Bangladesh needs to win a Test. John Wright has transformed the Indians from a bunch of underachievers to professional near world beaters. Though Ganguly also has played a role. For me, John Wright is the best coach India have ever had, and IMO the best in the world.
Bangladesh first has to learn to draw a Test, before trying for a win.

If they get over-excited, and push the accelerator, they're in for a crash again.

Whatmore is good enough to make them realise this.

chicane

State Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
Bangladesh first has to learn to draw a Test, before trying for a win.

If they get over-excited, and push the accelerator, they're in for a crash again.

Whatmore is good enough to make them realise this.
I'm just saying Dav Whatmore can only be truly credited for transforming Bangladesh when they win a test.

Sudeep

International Captain
chicane said:
I'm just saying Dav Whatmore can only be truly credited for transforming Bangladesh when they win a test.
Hehe, just wanted to say that anyway.

:p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
By the Same token, Wright should only then be truly credited for transforming India when they win a series outside Asia.

chicane

State Captain
Neil Pickup said:
By the Same token, Wright should only then be truly credited for transforming India when they win a series outside Asia.
Has less relevance as India's case now is not as appalling as Bangladesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.