• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the top 5 Indian cricketers ever?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, averaging 38 in Aus, 41 in Eng, 40 in NZ,42 in Pak and 45 in SL. Hasn't really performed anywhere in alien conditions except for a brief period in 2002-04 when he was pretty damn good. Not the quality and numbers expected of ATGs.

I rate him as a very good bowler and respect him for what he achieved which was more about longevity and relentless bowling. Kumble does not have a good secondary skill like Ashwin or Jadeja either.
I think you missed the joke.

vcs

Well, averaging 38 in Aus, 41 in Eng, 40 in NZ,42 in Pak and 45 in SL. Hasn't really performed anywhere in alien conditions except for a brief period in 2002-04 when he was pretty damn good. Not the quality and numbers expected of ATGs.

I rate him as a very good bowler and respect him for what he achieved which was more about longevity and relentless bowling. Kumble does not have a good secondary skill like Ashwin or Jadeja either.

Logan

U19 Captain
. Dravid along with Gavaskar and Sachin are the only 3 Indian batsmen with a 50+ avg overseas.

So it is highly unlikely that Kohli will rate ahead or anywhere near Dravid by the end of his career.
Dravid’s overseas record is overrated.

1. The two best teams during Dravid’s playing days were Australia and South Africa.

2. In South Africa, he averaged 29 from 12 Tests.

In Australia, he averaged 42 from 16 Tests.

3. Dravid scores 1 century in 16 Tests in Australia. That too against an attack that didn’t have McGrath, Lee and Warne.

Kohli is 31 and at the peak of his career. He still hasn't had a single knock as legendary as Dravid's Kolkatta 01, Adelaide 03, Rawalpindi 04 or even Kingston 06.

They are legendary knocks because India barely won anything back then and people remember rare things more.

I am not denying he was a great batsman in general and had a great peak between 2001-2006.

I am just saying Kohli has already overtaken Dravid as a batsman when all formats are considered.

Last edited:

vcs

Yep, love him. Won us countless matches at home and his series in Australia in 2003-04 was awesome too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There should be some votes for Sehwag. He was easily the greatest matchwinner in tests because of the speed he scored at. As a fan Sehwag scared me far more than any other Indian player as he could take a game away so quickly. To average almost 50 at a strike rate of 80 is insane in test cricket.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Combined stats of Kumble, Ashwin and Jadeja in India.

129 matches, 728 wickets at 23.15. Could reach 1000 wickets by the time Ashwin and Jadeja retire.

Burgey

Kapil
Sachin
Gavaskar
Dravid
Kohli

The top 4 are ATGs. Kohli is arguably one. I feel Kohli has reached a point where he would be above Kumble. Anil for all that he has achieved is not an ATG. If there was a past ATG other than the top 4 here, I would have put him above Kohli for sure.
Think this list is spot on tbh. Though Kohli is already an atg player imo.

Burgey

Tough call. Virtually a dead heat. Kumble an iron man out here which gets big points from me, but Dravid was basically Kumble batting

Chrish

International Debutant
Are people seriously saying Kohli > Kumble already? What happened to value of longevity? Or fair to say it's a recency bias??

Logan

U19 Captain
Are people seriously saying Kohli > Kumble already? What happened to value of longevity? Or fair to say it's a recency bias??

Kohli has scored 11520 runs and 43 centuries in ODIs.

Kohli has scored 6749 runs and 25 centuries in Tests.

Arguably Top 3 ODI batsman of all time and fourth best Indian Test batsman ever.