• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malinga does It Again- 4 in 4

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another helmet trick for Lasith Malinga:

W
Malinga to Munro, OUT, there comes Malinga's 100th T20I wicket and he has bowled Munro again! Little similar to how he got Munro but this wasn't a yorker. It was swinging in, in pitched on middle stump and it found the gap between Munro's bat and pad to rattle the leg stump. What a sight that is for a fast bowler
C Munro b Malinga 12 (12b 1x4 1x6) SR: 100.00

Hamish Rutherford now, who has flown in from the UK

W
Malinga to Rutherford, OUT, loud, loud appeal first ball, it's turned down and Malinga, the captain, has reviewed immediately. This one also to a left-hander, also swinging in, also missed by the batsman, and he's hit right in front of leg stump after the ball pitched on middle. Ball-tracking says it's hitting, the crowd erupts! It might have looked not out initially but seems like Rutherford took a tiny step towards middle stump which went in Malinga's favour
HD Rutherford lbw b Malinga 0 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Malinga on a hat-trick

W
Malinga to de Grandhomme, OUT, he has done it, three in three, Malinga has taken a hat-trick when his team needs it the most! Dear o dear, they're checking for the no ball and this is so close! The foot is pitching on the line and it seems like, on impact, a fraction of a tiny part of the heel was behind in the crease. It couldn't have been closer than that without being a no ball. And how's this for a hat-trick delivery: a searing yorker with late swing to an in-form Colin de Grandhomme who was squared up and the ball took the base of off and middle stumps. What a sight, what a bowler. He points to the number on his jersey in celebration. It says 99!
C de Grandhomme b Malinga 0 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

W
Malinga to Taylor, OUT, FOUR IN FOUR! Is this the 2007 World Cup all over again?! Ross Taylor this time, and he gets the same treament - an unplayable yorker. He looked more still than de Grandhomme at the crease but it didn't matter. This one is headed right for the foot, it swings late from around leg to middle stump and it sneaks under Taylor's bat to get him plumb
LRPL Taylor lbw b Malinga 0 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

New Zealand 15 for 4. Phew!

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
A bowler who evokes pure joy and laughter from us through his wickets. Will definitely miss him when he retires. A little under-rated I believe and probably underachieved in limited overs as well considering the multiple individual feats that he achieved.

vcs

How can he still bowl so well with that gut? An inspiration to us all. :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Malinga has total of 5 hat tricks in international games; 2 of them are 4 in 4

Wasim Akram has 4 hattricks in international cricket

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I think a new terminology needs to be discovered for 4 in 4, something even cooler than hat-trick(which is pretty cool in itself). Probably something like "malin-trick"

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have a recollection of 'on a double hat trick' coming up on the screen when Darren Gough took the new ball at the beginning of Australia's second innings in the Sydney test of the 98/99 ashes

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I suspect that may be more just a lack of understanding from the tv operator. I mean, we had someone on here claim a hat trick could cover 2 separate games the other due to a lack of understanding

TheJediBrah

double hat-trick is very poor nomenclature. It should mean 6 wickets in 6 balls.

4 in 4 is a 1.33 x hat-trick

TheJediBrah

But you do have two hat tricks though, balls 1, 2 and 3, and balls 2, 3 and 4.

That’s how I always interpreted it, anyway.
That's not double though. That's like saying a batsman that makes 101 made a double hundred, 0-100, and 1-101.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
That's not double though. That's like saying a batsman that makes 101 made a double hundred, 0-100, and 1-101.
Wouldn’t the batting equivalent be something like hitting three sixes in a row? 100 is passing a milestone, like taking 5 wickets is with bowling.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, double hat trick is not suitable.

Anyway, as I said in the series thread - Malinga's yorker is an incredibly unique beast. Even when you know it's coming, at his peak you're often powerless to keep it out. I can't think of too many bowlers and their set of repertoire in the past that you could say that for. De Grandhomme and Taylor, two in-form players, both knew their balls were coming but both missed it comfortably.

TheJediBrah

I can't think of any other bowlers I've seen that get a yorker to swing out that much. Add that to his pace and his low slinging action and you've got something very special. Too bad he wasn't able to play Tests for longer he could have made a huge difference to SL during a period where they've been declining.