• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh, it might not be that dramatic. It might be a bunch of subtle technical changes to run-up and release to minimise counterrotation.

Mitch Johnson's - also a bowler with a horrible action to face and a history of back stress fractures when young - masterclass with Sky during the Lord's test was really informative on this:

I do also wonder if his short run-up has a bit to do with it as well. Anecodotal, but I'm never really surprised when blokes with short run-ups who really explode through the crease get injured a lot.
Early Marchant de Lange a classic example

SeamUp

International Coach
Early Marchant de Lange a classic example
Definitely.

Eh, it might not be that dramatic. It might be a bunch of subtle technical changes to run-up and release to minimise counterrotation.

Mitch Johnson's - also a bowler with a horrible action to face and a history of back stress fractures when young - masterclass with Sky during the Lord's test was really informative on this:

I do also wonder if his short run-up has a bit to do with it as well. Anecodotal, but I'm never really surprised when blokes with short run-ups who really explode through the crease get injured a lot.
Pretty sure Mark Wood is another who had the same issue and has now lengthened his run up in aid to help him with his longevity.

Burner

International Regular
Retirement of Amla, De Villiers and Bumrah injury has taken the oomph out of the series for me. Will be surprised if SA don't get clean sweeped. Will be looking forward to how Markram goes though.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Big blow for India, given how beautifully Bumrah bowled in WI and how well he's adapted to Test cricket in general. An attack of Umesh/Shami/Ashwin/Jadeja with Vihari providing the part-time offies is probably what we'll see. If it is a flat wicket, might lack a bit of penetration.

Daemon

Big blow for India, given how beautifully Bumrah bowled in WI and how well he's adapted to Test cricket in general. An attack of Umesh/Shami/Ashwin/Jadeja with Vihari providing the part-time offies is probably what we'll see. If it is a flat wicket, might lack a bit of penetration.
It'll probably be Shami and Ishant, not Umesh

the big bambino

International Captain
That cricinfo article said Bumrah's stress fracture wasn't sustained on the field of play. Curiously they don't explain where or how it was sustained. Maybe his action isn't the cause.

Daemon

It doesn't happen at any one instance though does it? Can't really point to one particular match or training etc and say that was the cause.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rain has stopped but looks like with a bit of work to do they will get on the park a bit later.

Rassie stayed behind with test squad by the looks of things.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Heh. Completely forgot about him. At least that's something to look forward to. Hopefully the pitches are spicy as well.
Without Bumrah, I don't think they will prepare spicy pitches. Still, Steyn did well on these spinning tracks, so there is a good chance Rabada might rock it too. But he needs support from the other end, mainly Maharaj.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Without Bumrah, I don't think they will prepare spicy pitches. Still, Steyn did well on these spinning tracks, so there is a good chance Rabada might rock it too. But he needs support from the other end, mainly Maharaj.
Don't think they were gonna have spicy pitches with or without Bumrah, as much as India has a capable pace attack now, there's absolutely no reason to give SA a chance at an even contest when you can just kill them with spin.

OverratedSanity

India havent really needed to prepare unplayable bunsens to smash teams at home. Their most convincing wins come on typical flat subcontinent pitches. Will be surprised if the pitches are a repeat of Nagpur 2015, as much as that'd be entertaining to watch.