• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Sad for Maharaj. Not a good tour for him.

Unlikely that Linde will play? Surprised by the call up unless they want to play Piedt and Linde dropping Muthusamy?
I tend to agree that playing Linde not long off the flight would be a risk, but it depends on whether the coaching setup trust Piedt + Muthusamy to keep things tight enough

Chrish

International Debutant
Winning toss definitely helps in SC. Especially considering the crumbling nature of pitches on day 4-5. However, current SA side is just shot. They would loose against pretty much every major test team if they are touring. This is not the SA I know of.

They need a complete reform of not only players, but also coaches. I been reading how batsman have potential but it doesn’t translate into international success. Get a new batting coach? Someone like Smith who was known to be mentally tough. Loosing few promising players to Kolpak doesn’t help either.

SA will bounce back hopefully, but it will take few years imo from where things stand.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
What's this bull**** about tosses then? This India team is just, simply, ridiculous at home - nothing to do with tosses. I think I pointed it out earlier and would appreciate it if someone could bring up the stats because I'm no good with the filters, but this India team dominates more at home than even the great Windies and Aussies sides did respectively at theirs (in terms of % of wins - not sure about in terms of margin of wins).

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
India has now won 11 straight series at home,unprecedented in test match history.

In this 11 series, here is the stats

Matches played : 31
Won by India : 25
Drawn : 5
Won by Opposition : 1 (Australia - Pune)

Out of these 31 matches, India has won 16 tosses and lost 15.

Honestly, this toss theory is bull***t as _00_deathscar mentioned. They might have impacted the margin of victory admittedly, that's about it. Not sure why it is brought up only when India is winning.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
India has now won 11 straight series at home,unprecedented in test match history.

In this 11 series, here is the stats

Matches played : 31
Won by India : 25
Drawn : 5
Won by Opposition : 1 (Australia - Pune)

Out of these 31 matches, India has won 16 tosses and lost 15.

Honestly, this toss theory is bull***t as _00_deathscar mentioned. They might have impacted the margin of victory admittedly, that's about it. Not sure why it is brought up only when India is winning.
well said with convincing proof. Toss win/loss percentage is more or less the same here. The conclusion here is that India knows how to draw tests even if they don't win despite losing tosses at home which the other teams lag behind..

Chrish

International Debutant
No need to get defensive over this. Only one above poster insisted SA potentially lost due to toss. Everyone else has said the outcome would have been the same. We need to move on from this.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty much the most boring debate every time it comes up here. Everyone sensible agrees for the most part with everyone else but strawman constantly to make it seem like they don't.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
On a side note, I am a big fan of doing away with tosses completely and let the visiting team choose whether to bat or field. Of course, home teams might get defensive by producing a pitch which does not drastically alter during the course of the game in order to avoid advantage to visiting team, but it will be interesting to watch.

srbhkshk

International Captain
On a side note, I am a big fan of doing away with tosses completely and let the visiting team choose whether to bat or field. Of course, home teams might get defensive by producing a pitch which does not drastically alter during the course of the game in order to avoid advantage to visiting team, but it will be interesting to watch.
It won't be interesting - would lead to early 00 style pitches - scorelines would routinely read 700/5 vs 590/8.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Maharaj out with a busted shoulder, George Linde called up to the squad

Don't mind Linde from what I have seen of him, ugly action but he is accurate and crafty
Maharaj came into this series averaging in the teens with the ball for Yorkshire and recorded some of the worst figures by a visiting spinner in India. So, Linde, who just took 11 FC wickets in a match, should expect 1-150 figures here.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Based on what Morkel did this year in County Cricket I don’t think he had 2 years left.
But based on what Abbott did... having him and Olivier available could only help South Africa's prospects though at the moment it's the batting that seems more concerning.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Maharaj came into this series averaging in the teens with the ball for Yorkshire and recorded some of the worst figures by a visiting spinner in India. So, Linde, who just took 11 FC wickets in a match, should expect 1-150 figures here.
The Indians always look to target the opposition spinner, especially if he isn't accustomed to bowling in India. The challenge for Maharaj is if he can come back stronger from the experience like Gazza Lyon has for example

The pitch Linde took his 11 on seemed pretty rotten too

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Based on what Morkel did this year in County Cricket I don’t think he had 2 years left.
it isn't that straight forward though is it? he hasn't been playing for that long after retiring and in a short amount of time saf have lost a lot of talent, especially with the ball. This series, even if they had suffered an innings defeat every game will still not be anywhere near as humiliating as getting white washed at home by that SL team though. Not enough got made of that series loss for me by just ascribing it to late season fatigue and having played too much. that and the world cup sounded enough alarm bells.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
it isn't that straight forward though is it? he hasn't been playing for that long after retiring and in a short amount of time saf have lost a lot of talent, especially with the ball. This series, even if they had suffered an innings defeat every game will still not be anywhere near as humiliating as getting white washed at home by that SL team though. Not enough got made of that series loss for me by just ascribing it to late season fatigue and having played too much. that and the world cup sounded enough alarm bells.
Not enough got made of that? Anybody in SA that knows anything about cricket made a hell'uv a lot of noise about that. Everybody that talks SA cricket realised that we where heading this way for the last 2 years. I mean it is practically all we talk about in the SA selection and SA domestic threads.