• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

SeamUp

International Coach
For all my blasé attitude and low expectations that damn 'hope' is coming to bite me again.... I know this because even keeping an eye on SA 'A' team is making my stomach clench in hope that certain players are doing well.
I have been trying to decide on my approach.

Normal SA belief for 95% of the years watching them is they go anywhere and beat anyone. So if we go to our toughest tour with that hope and they disappoint it will be frustrating and SA cricket will continue to show how much it has fallen.

Go there with no hope and expect nothing and hopefully be surprised along the way probably best. Hoping more for individual growth. :D

2-0 win in India in 2000

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...a-1st-test-south-africa-tour-of-india-1999-00

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...a-2nd-test-south-africa-tour-of-india-1999-00

Better squads to India either side of this one ? Felt 1996/97 even though we lost we got in the mix. A few draws post 2000 before the last tour. Our record in India has been damn impressive considering.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The Jadeja on that score card through me a little.... he has not been around that long!

Looking at those SA squads I almost feel like this squad is potentially better, just much less experienced and hence untested.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
The Jadeja on that score card through me a little.... he has not been around that long!

Looking at those SA squads I almost feel like this squad is potentially better, just much less experienced and hence untested.
I always say that Cronje and Rhodes get a slightly hard deal in test cricket considering the era they played their cricket and averaged 36/35. Domestically in SA when it was really strong they were 40+ averagers who scored 100s. When you look back at those 2 and then look at say Rudolph, Dippenaar, McKenzie (first time around) they struggled more than those 2 and they dominated domestics for a long time.

I think the key to that squad above was the all-rounders we had. I mean take away Kallis/Pollock (McMillan/Symcox had retired) and you had Boje scoring 85 and Klusener scoring 97 and them chipping in with wickets. Cronje getting wickets. Crazy :laugh:

The obvious weak link is Pieter Strydom. Hardened provincial pro and Border captain though.

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder if, Amol, the new batting coach is with the A team or the T20 squad?
Andrew Puttick and Piet Botha are with Maketa and the A squad. Klusener with the T20 squad.

Would imagine if he was , it would more with the A squad but probably unlikely ?

SeamUp

International Coach
Reeza has to get another run but it wouldnt be surprising if it doesn't work out. Will get a shorter leash this time too.

The frustrating thing is, he can mix it with the best on his day.

Prove me wrong Temba....

SeamUp

International Coach
Bavuma is a better LO player than he is given credit for... similar to Elgar, in that sense.
Is he a modern limited overs player though ? If he isn't a 90+ SR in 50 overs and 130+ in T20 then he has to consistently churn out runs which is what I doubt.

Same for Elgar.

Domestic limited overs possibly.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rassie now batting with expectation.

That dismissal of trying to force the spinner to leg is always a potential dismissal for him.