• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, Markram has all but stamped his mark on the Test side already.

Admittedly his potential is far higher than his current average but 44-odd is hardly a poor average.

The recent SA A tour of India would surely have put any doubt to rest - the pitches have to be turners if you're India.

It's also worth noting that the SL Test series loss was a bizarre blotch on what going into the series was seen as a pretty damn good team. The ODI team has clearly been our issue recently - the Test side has been solid (if not spectactular).

Admittedly we've lost guys like Amla and Steyn but I think their impact has been minimised in recent months anyway (Amla due to form, Steyn due to injuries) so we're somewhat prepared.

That said we're almost certainly going to lose. But perhaps not the walloping one might expect.
Nah. That loss to SL was coming, it should have not happened but was a big wake-up call. We got through the Indian and Aus series off some fantastic bowling and importantly ABdV propping the batting up. Our batting has been brittle.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA in a position where they have some potential in batting, that has not quite come of age combined with inexperience. Faf and QDK have to all score runs this tour. Markram has been suspect against the turning ball. Don't expect much from Bavuma but if he can help support those 2 then maybe we can put something on the board. de Bruyn and Hamza are wildcards, I`m hoping Hamza shows his stuff. If Elgar manages to grind some of the Indian bowlers down I will be happy, but for some reason I don't expect much from him. I`m just hoping we don't get bowled out for under 200 consistently.

Bahseph

State Captain
It's about time the selectors just earmarked who they believe will be our batting line up in 5 years and give them some leeway. I assume that includes Markram, QDK, Hamza and de Bruyn from the current crop.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Nah. That loss to SL was coming, it should have not happened but was a big wake-up call. We got through the Indian and Aus series off some fantastic bowling and importantly ABdV propping the batting up. Our batting has been brittle.
And pitches that suited our bowlers more than the ones we played on against Sri Lanka.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanjay Bangar reckons India could have potentially won a few more fourth-innings chases if Rohit Sharma had been a Test opener. India's assistant coach, everyone.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Sanjay Bangar reckons India could have potentially won a few more fourth-innings chases if Rohit Sharma had been a Test opener. India's assistant coach, everyone.
I don't remember us having actually won any non-trivial fourth innings chase under Kohli so he is technically right.

Ulzan69

Banned
Great escape of India, last series at Dharamsala Rohit hits 109 India beaten vs SA
We have poor record vs #3 in ICC ranking of t20i Southafrica.we are # 4 in t20i ranking

Ulzan69

Banned
We will be beaten in t20i series because you can not win with such rotten seam bowlers in your wing
Plus Kuldeep and Chahal also not in the team of 15

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Faf du Plessis (c), Temba Bavuma (vc), Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, Dean Elgar, Zubayr Hamza, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Senuran Muthusamy , Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Vernon Philander, Dane Piedt, Kagiso Rabada, Klassen

SA looking at a line-up of

Elgar
Markram
Hamza
Faf
Bavuma
de Bruyn
de Kock
Maharaj
Piedt
Rabada
Ngidi

Not quite sure how 3-6 will line-up - but I think the above is most likely.

I'm worried that they'll ad Muthusamy in place of de Bruyn, push him to seven, and replace Piedt with Philander/Nortje.
De Bruyn 4
Faf 5
Bavuma 6.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Gill in the Test squad at least? I know they are going to make Rohit open but in case someone has an injury or does terribly enough to get dropped after a game or two, Gill needs to be the first replacement.

SeamUp

International Coach
Been lots of grumble re: Pant recently. Do we expect to see him start the first test or Saha ?

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The emergence of Bumrah and Maharaj are going to be big factors in the pitch preparation imo. Might be more balanced this time around.
Lol, as if India is going to not provide spin friendly pitches because the opposition has Keshav Maharaj? I mean, he's a pretty decent bowler and he'll probably do pretty well but he's going to be a non-factor in India's preparation. Rightly or wrongly. Also against England and Australia at home, Shami, Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma comfortably outbowled the English and Aussie pacers at home. I reckon India will go with Bumrah, Shami, Ashwin and Jadeja.

Would India need Ashwin/Jadeja batting at number 9? Or go with 5 bowlers instead of Vihari and play all three seamers plus the two spinners?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
For all my blasé attitude and low expectations that damn 'hope' is coming to bite me again.... I know this because even keeping an eye on SA 'A' team is making my stomach clench in hope that certain players are doing well.

Last edited: