• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ageing Australians

pasag

RTDAS
You guys aren't looking deep enough for the New Aussie talent. Believe me, guys like Aaron Bird will be playing high in the ranks sometime soon. He's a pretty god fast bowler. Then there's Mitchell Johnston and my personal favourite, Paul Rofe. These guys are all potential world-beaters, and in Mitchell Johnston, you have someone who could be quicker than Brett Lee, plus he's a lefty!

As for the batting, Michael Clarke will be looked at very seriously this year I reckon.
Clicked on one of the links down the bottom of Richard's thread and I must say, posted in 2002, fair effort that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mitchell Johnston hey Corey? :p

I must say, when I first saw this thread on the front-page, without the fact it was started by Andre, I thought "uh, not AGAIN..." but yeah, decent effort. He's always been a smart tack, that-'un.

pup11

International Coach
Surely fair effort from Caty to spot talent in guys like Johns(t)on (:laugh:), Clarke and that too at a time when not many people rated them due to their average domestic record.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely fair effort from Caty to spot talent in guys like Johns(t)on (:laugh:), Clarke and that too at a time when not many people rated them due to their average domestic record.
Well neither Clarke nor Johnson were that good at the time, but they'd both had rave-reviews about how much potential they had. Heck, even that very season people were saying Clarke was just that far away from international selection (played 1 ODI in the VB Series of course) and that infamous Lillee comment about Johnson was way back in 1999 or something.

jammay123

State 12th Man
Aussie Team has likes of Jimmy Maher who is 28, Darren Lehmann who is 30 odd, Bevan who is 31 odd, S Lee, Warne, McGrath all over 30. The only young players Australia have are Watson and Hauritz and they havent flattered.

India on the other hand has Sehwag who is 23, Kaif who is 21, Yuvraj Singh who is 20, Harbhajan who is 20, Ashish Nehra and Zaheer Khan who are 23 each, and Ajit Agarkar who has played 100 ODI's for 152 ODI wickets is just 24!! By 38 he could take like 400!!!

So they are two contrasting teams, with the Indian test and ODI Team having only 1 guy over 30 which is Anil Kumble and he is 31!
Worst prediction ever?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, poor Sangrah.

TBF to him, you could dig virtually any old thread of more than 10 posts or so and have a decent chance of finding serious Greigys. And some amazing Marsh-Lillees, like Gelman found on this occasion.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Worst prediction ever?
Haha, it's hardly the worst prediction ever by a long chalk, Agarkar hasn't even reached 30 yet and with the amount of ODI cricket played (presuming he gets back in the side which isn't definetely out of the question) there's every chance he could get to 400, he's on 288 btw.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think MacGill will probably slot into the team for a while after Warnie (I'm guessing the end of the '03-'04 Aussie summer??) if he's in form
3 years early, but he got it ITE. :)
otherwise there is some spinning talent in Hauritz and even in young guys like Cameron White (I think it's Cameron, anyway). Spin bowlers won't be a problem either.

However, Mighty McGrath will be a tough one to replace.
This is interesting. Now, and indeed for the last couple of years, consensus seems to have been that McGrath will be replaced with no great difficulty and Warne will be the irreplacable one.

What a difference a Clark makes! Nonetheless, he was playing for Australia A shortly after this post.
perhaps Hauritz will cement his place in the side and take 500+ wickets

(yeah.....)
I guess this was a 4-year precursor to a YES, THIS POST - etc.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't give me too much credit.

From a few posts above;

And don't forget in the same team is Geoff Marsh's son, Shaun Marsh. He WILL play Test cricket. I have no doubt about that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't give me too much credit.

From a few posts above;
And don't forget in the same team is Geoff Marsh's son, Shaun Marsh. He WILL play Test cricket. I have no doubt about that.
That's looking decent enough again all of a sudden too. :p

You'll be being known as Nostradamus one day.

Craig

World Traveller
That I even mentioned Aaron Bird should preclude me from such a title. haha
Whatever happened to him? Still Shaun Marsh is 2nd opener off the rank behind Jaques, so it is still a chance you will be right about him playing Test cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Same sort of thing that happened to a fair few other young-ish seamers around that time, presumably - just turned-out not to be that good.
Bit different for Bird. Has had to remodel his action a few times, and it's still somewhat... um... "displeasing to the eye". Reduced his effectiveness somewhat.