• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the top 45 ODI Batsmen ever: The countdown thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lengthy disclaimer:

Hi there and thanks to all who submitted lists. 28 ended up being received, and from those over 60 different players made it into people’s top 20s. I’ve decided to use a minimum criteria of making it onto 2 lists rather than a minimum points as qualification for this final countdown, as that seems more democratic. 45 batsmen got onto 2 or more lists.

I’ve gone a bit heavy with the side stats as you’ll see with my next post. I enjoy showcasing stats that aren’t super common knowledge, like the WPM side rankings thing with the spin bowlers countdown. Some criticised it and some may criticise my side ranking option here, but it’s just a bit of fun extra trivia. I’ve gone with ‘innings per 50+ score’ as a mini measurement tool, for both careers and world cups, which are the holy grail tournaments of ODIs of courses. Strike rate based stats were too bias to the modern era, and while innings per 50+ score is a little unfair on lower order players, it’s obviously not as damning as 100+ scores, and I think it’s an okay indicator of how often a player made a usual contribution to the team. A 50 can be as important in an ODI as a ton in tests, sometimes.

Lastly I’ll just add that I’ll probably only be able to churn through 2-3 a day of these max, as my current job has work hours all over the place. Enjoy the list!

mr_mister

#45. Lance Klusener (5 points)

Lists featured on: 2/28
Top 5 placements: 0
Highest placement 17th(1 time)

Highest ODI score: 103*(132) v NZ in ‘99
Highest WC score: 57(48) v WI in GS of ‘03
Highest WC KO score: 31*(16) v Aus in SF of ‘99

World Cups played at: 2
World Cup finals played in: 0

WC innings per 50+ score: 3.67 (equal 27th/45)
Career innings per 50+ score: 6.52 (45th/45)

Ah, Zulu. First cab off the rank. Known for having arguably the most dominant performance across a WC ever, he was a star who shone bright but briefly. His 1999 yielded 854 runs, @ an average of just under 95 striking @ just over 100. In no other year did he come close to this form, but he still remained very potent until 2002. He spent so much time, even at his peak, batting at 7-8 due to his country’s abundance of all rounders and a history of demonstrating his skill lied in death over cameos. Even at the ‘99 WC, where he was player of the tournament with 4 MOMs, he only had a best of 52*. Yet he had 5 unbeaten scores over 30 with only 1 scored at under a run a ball and some well over that mark of a fast innings.

He seemed impossible to dismiss that tournament, like a looming final boss in a video game for all teams who met him. It’s fair to say we survived him rather than defeated him in that SF as Australia neither dismissed him nor won the game. But I digress. He played crunching, ugly yet economic shots with a home made stance and tremendous strength. His two cover drives off Fleming to begin the final over of the '99 WC SF were dismissive, effortless and powerful. They'll have a place in cricket history forever.

His career average plus strike rate is certainly ATG level but a lack of really big innings obviously a factor in him placing 45th here, both overall and in the career 50+ score stakes. Though it must be said his 30 ball 40s in the final 10 were often match winning innings.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Having trouble posting the pictures on my iPad. Annoying

Any tips?

Edit - okay think I fixed it. Just can't post 'encrypted' images apparently, which the first 4 I found on google images all were

Last edited:

mr_mister

#44. Neil Fairbrother (6 points)

Lists featured on: 2/28
Top 5 finishes: 0
Highest finish: 17th (1 time)

Highest ODI score: 113(109) v WI in ‘91
Highest WC score: 75*(83) v SA in GS of ‘92
Highest WC KO score: 62(70) v Pak in F of ‘92

World Cups played at: 3
World Cup finals played in: 1
World Cups won: 0

WC innings per 50+ score: 5.00 (equal 39th/45)
Career innings per 50+ score: 4.18 (37th/45)

Neil Harvey Fairbrother was one of a few English players in the ‘90s who were world class in the white ball stuff and quite disappointing in tests. Already 28 when he finally established himself in the ODI side, he grabbed a lot of attention with a frantic shot a ball century in quite a large(for the time) successful chase of 265 against an attack lead by Marshall, Walsh and Ambrose in ‘91. Grumpy old Geoff Boycott was noticeably joyful on comms, congratulating Neil on his first international ton and adding ‘you’ll get a lot more’. It was to be his only international ton but he still formed a great little underrated career.

He was an established cog in the side by the ‘92 WC and scored three 60+ scores in the back half all struck at around 90. In the final against the mighty Pakistan bowlers he top scored, and until he got out the game was still alive. Fairbrother was an innovative, scrappy batsmen. He was a blueprint for the later Bevan/Dhoni style finisher in a lot of ways though with obviously far less success. He combined hard running between wickets, good ball manipulation through gaps, an ability to shift gears and slap boundaries near the death and most importantly consistent output. His average hovered around 40 basically his whole career once established, in a time when many widely considered superior batsmen averaged considerably less.

He was mishandled big time by selectors in search of youth, getting dropped and then recalled just before not 1 but 2 world cups as suitable replacements weren’t growing on trees. His last recall at 35 resulted in a disappointing ‘99 WC but in the Australian summer tri series just before it he plundered 3 unbeaten 60+ scores and ended up with an average of over 50 in the country from 21 matches. He actually holds the 4th highest average ever for ODIs played in Australia(min 20 matches), just behind Bevan, Rohit and Steve Smith.

I know I’ve fanboyed a bit in this write up, but he really is quite underrated. He should have got to play a lot more than 75 games and has the shortest ODI career of anyone on this list.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Always really enjoy these threads - the write ups are always interesting and well done. Thanks mr_mister :)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
He should have got to play a lot more than 75 games and has the shortest ODI career of anyone on this list.

You have worked incredibly hard on this and I don't want to criticise but am I right in guessing that none of Zaheer Abbas, Glen Turner, and Greg Chappell made it as all played fewer than 75 ODIs?!? These were the three contemporaries closest to Viv who is the best of all time and all should be in the top 25 imo.

I guess the problem with democracy is when you don't agree with how the majority vote.

mr_mister

Actually I'm completely wrong. that was just a throwaway assumption I made coz I was writing that at 1am. 2 out of those 3 made the list

mr_mister

Post 5 names at least every day if possible.
Haha. Today for example due to work I left the house at 9am and I won't get back home til 11pm. That's an extreme example of my work hours but yeah.

I have plenty of spare time to make sporadic **** posts mind you but I'd prefer to sit down at home with something better than a phone for these write ups

I'll have some days where I can pump through a lot though

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man, I'm just grateful you didn't abandon it halfway like I would've. The write ups are pretty good too.