• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Yallop Vs Usman Khawaja

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both average low 40s. Yallop, like Khawaja, was one of the less than half a handful test quality bats in his era and behind 1 ATG (Border). Khawaja has Smith. Warner is good too admittedly but there isn't much else. Neither gets much respect nor do they spring to mind when I think of Australian batsmen.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Actually a pretty apt comparison. They're comparable in a lot of ways.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yallop pretty comfortably IMO. He didn't play in an era of ridiculous home roads, and even if he actually had, he wasn't a joke away from home like Khawaja.

trundler

Actually a pretty apt comparison. They're comparable in a lot of ways.
Red Hill, a man of culture. They're both not memorable with a few incompetencies and would be nowhere near the International setup in the 90s.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a gun comparison in how similar they look at first glance despite one being clearly better than the other after you dig into the weeds a bit.

Given I'm apparently biased against 70s and 80s Australian cricketers and still think this, it's a ringing endorsement for Yallop. ;)

trundler

Yeah, Yallop's away record is nothing to scoff at. Only did poorly in England whereas Khawaja only has 1 innings of note away from home and he can't really play spin at all. I was just checking out how public perception of Yallop may have changed since he doesn't get no respect (if you get it you get it).

Anyway, now that I've gathered all the bogans I have another question: would you take Law or Khawaja?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, Yallop's away record is nothing to scoff at. Only did poorly in England whereas Khawaja only has 1 innings of note away from home and he can't really play spin at all. I was just checking out how public perception of Yallop may have changed since he doesn't get no respect (if you get it you get it).

Anyway, now that I've gathered all the bogans I have another question: would you take Law or Khawaja?
I mean Khawaja has certainly had the more notable Test career but if you sent Law in a time machine I don't think that would've been the case. I don't think it's necessarily obvious though; it's not like Khawaja hasn't mostly smashed it in Shield cricket in an era with some juicier pitches.

We had the Love v Khawaja debate in some random thread not long ago too and I suspect you'd get the same people on the same sides of this question.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yallop gets a lot of criticism for his brief and unsuccessful stint as captain, that seems to unfairly colour opinions of him as a batsman. Shame really