• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Yallop Vs Usman Khawaja

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is KP the best example you could think of to disprove you being dire? It's pretty fitting tho.

trundler

Yeah, see I'm sceptical about how many of them were batting versions of Chad Sayers as opposed to genuinely world class.

morgieb

Yeah, see I'm sceptical about how many of them were batting versions of Chad Sayers as opposed to genuinely world class.
I guess, but it's worth noting how many of them didn't just do well in Australia though. And while I don't have great memories of most of them, technically I think they were pretty adept and I think would do fine if they were playing Test cricket. Sayers is different in so much as I think it's really tough to assert which bowlers are actually Test-class by looking at their stats, whereas I think it's easier for batsmen (but not foolproof!)

Dussey is one I am genuinely skeptical of how he'd have done if he played Tests, though.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd be pretty confident that they'd all average mid 40s in tests, given a decent run. I mean, Lehmann did, and Hodge made a test 200 against Pollock and Ntini. They were world class.

IMO Brad Hodge is probably the most talented cricketer to be available but not get a test career *. Guy was clearly world class.

* sort of discounting the South African apartheid players but he is right up there nonetheless.

Burgey

Yallop pretty comfortably IMO. He didn't play in an era of ridiculous home roads, and even if he actually had, he wasn't a joke away from home like Khawaja.
He was terrible against pace. Like, tailender bad. Which was problematic in the 80s when the Windies toured here every other year. Feasted on trash Pakistan attacks in 83/84, including s big double ton.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Dussey is one I am genuinely skeptical of how he'd have done if he played Tests, though.
Given he did well both here and in CC, plus had a perfectly decent ODI career, he gave himself every chance to do well at test level given the chance

morgieb

Given he did well both here and in CC, plus had a perfectly decent ODI career, he gave himself every chance to do well at test level given the chance
Did he, though? Thought his average was under 30 in the format despite feasting domestically.

Plus his technique always struck me as really worrisome against quality seam.

EDIT: Just checked, it's 32, whereas his List A average is under 40 (would probably be over it if not for ODI's but the point remains it wasn't his preferred format). Only ton came against Scotland though. I feel like he was also past his prime for a lot of his ODI's?

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Never really got the chance to bat up the order properly which might explain the average, but he was quite adaptable, an able slogger but good with the rescue job or accumulator role too, his technique never looked amazing I'll give you that

His prime was done by the end of the 2011 WC IMO

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I guess, but it's worth noting how many of them didn't just do well in Australia though. And while I don't have great memories of most of them, technically I think they were pretty adept and I think would do fine if they were playing Test cricket. Sayers is different in so much as I think it's really tough to assert which bowlers are actually Test-class by looking at their stats, whereas I think it's easier for batsmen (but not foolproof!)
Martin Love was a bit like that. Small sample size, but apart from his debut 62 vs England (coming in at 4-393) and 100* vs Bangladesh (basically batting until he got a century) he never really impressed despite bossing is domestically and overseas.

Marcus North also comes to mind as someone who looked the good statistically then was massively disappointing in the Test arena, bar the occasional brilliant oddball innings.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What about Graeme Yallop vs Graeme Wood?

I was doing a bit of reading on the Stuart Law situation and it seems to say he was unlucky to not get another test is an understatement

Him and Ponting both made their debut in that December '95 test replacing Blewett and S Waugh, one dropped and one injured. As we all know Punter got 96 and Stuart Law 'only' and unbeaten 54 so he made way for Steve. It's made more unlucky by the fact Punter had first bite by coming in at 5 to Law's 6, and with their being so many runs on the board already thanks to a Slater double ton a declaration came before Law could get a ton himself. It would have possibly been Punter and not Law to make way for Tugga in the second test.

All the batsmen had a decent series against a poor SL attack, all top 6 got at least a 90+ score, but Boon retired after the third test so Law may have got another chance had a test tour been lined up soon.

But due to the '96 world cup Australia didn't play another test til October '96, a one off against India before a home summer vs the Windies. Law had a perfectly acceptable WC but Bevan had an equally good one and his ODI average was about 60 at the time so he got Boons vacant spot for a couple of years, Law fell back behind a few others like Lehmann and eventually Martyn and never played another test. Unlucky

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Did he, though? Thought his average was under 30 in the format despite feasting domestically.

Plus his technique always struck me as really worrisome against quality seam.

EDIT: Just checked, it's 32, whereas his List A average is under 40 (would probably be over it if not for ODI's but the point remains it wasn't his preferred format). Only ton came against Scotland though. I feel like he was also past his prime for a lot of his ODI's?
He was our best batsman in the 2011-12 tri series revival against India and SL, at least until the finals. Had a very short run in the side unfortunately, but he was easily international class. Would be our 3rd best player if around today

morgieb

Martin Love was a bit like that. Small sample size, but apart from his debut 62 vs England (coming in at 4-393) and 100* vs Bangladesh (basically batting until he got a century) he never really impressed despite bossing is domestically and overseas.

Marcus North also comes to mind as someone who looked the good statistically then was massively disappointing in the Test arena, bar the occasional brilliant oddball innings.
IIRC North's average was a bit below the others. Still averaged around mid-30's, but you're right that there was lots and lots of failures in there.

I'll grant you Love. But then again he only had 8 innings, he might've kicked on more if he gets more Tests (and two of them successes even though they were "easy" runs).

EDIT: I will say though it is difficult to assert that the Shield stars would be top-class if they actually got chances.

Last edited: