• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time XI

THE DON

Cricket Spectator
I have selected an all time 11. What do you think of it.

1. Barry Richards
2. Viv Richards
3. Don Bradman
4. Sachin Tendulker
5. Brian Lara
6. Gary Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Malcom Marshall
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillie
11. Sydey Barnes

This team cannot be beaten. At the startr we have the two beligerant Richards ripping apart any bowling attack. Then we have a wonderful middle order of Lara, Bradman, Sobers and Tendulker. The tail end is also strong. This team should score about 550 runs on average and with a bowling attack of Barnes, Marshall, Lillie, Warne and Sobers this team should beat any team. What do you think of it.

masterblaster

International Captain
Its a very solid team no doubt, but I would go for Wasim Akram over Dennis Lillie, just for that variety.

It will probably be an opinion which is unpopular here, but oh well.

Its just my opinion. Pretty much same team as yours but with Wasim Akram in there.

twctopcat

International Regular
For an all time XI the tail could be a bit shorter, where Akram of Khan could come in, but then again with a first 7 like that, does teh tail matter?
You do like your best XI threads eh don??? :p

chicane

State Captain
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Don Bradman
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan (captain)
Malcom Marshall
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
THE DON said:
I have selected an all time 11. What do you think of it.

1. Barry Richards
2. Viv Richards
3. Don Bradman
4. Sachin Tendulker
5. Brian Lara
6. Gary Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Malcom Marshall
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillie
11. Sydey Barnes

What do you think of it.
This is an all time favourite cricket pastime. A most controversial one too. Not surprising considering the number of great players in the last 125 years. Actually, only three, Bradman, Sobers and Barnes are the three on most lists. Even if one replaces all others you still get an equally formidable side maybe even two !!

Here's an attempt

Hobbs
Hutton
Don Bradman
Hammond
George Headley
Sobers
Richard Headly
Knott
Lindwall
Orielly
Barnes

and another

Trumper
Sutcliffe
Don Bradman
Pollock
Weekes
Sobers
Imran
Evans
Holding
Grimett
Barnes

and another

Ponsford
Hayden
Bradman
Compton
Ranji
Sobers
Walcott
Benaud
Ambrose
Muralitharan
Barnes

One could make some more 8-)

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
My Best Ever Test XI

1: JB Hobbs
2: SM Gavaskar
3: DG Bradman (c)
4: WR Hammond
5: SR Waugh
6: GS Sobers
7: IA Healy (wk)
8: RJ Hadlee
9: SK Warne
10: MD Marshall
11: GD McGrath

12th Man: BC Lara

My Best Ever ODI XI:

1: AC Gilchrist (wk)
2: SR Tendulkar
3: IVA Richards
4: RT Ponting (c)
5: MG Bevan
6: L Klusener
7: SM Pollock
8: Wasim Akram
9: SK Warne
10: AA Donald
11: GD McGrath

12th Man: BC Lara

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Best Test XI

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Donald Bradman
George Headley
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall
Sydney Barnes

12th Man: Jonty Rhodes

Substitutes- Courtney Walsh,Muttiah Muralitharan,Shane Warne,Alec Stewart

tooextracool

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
Best Test XI

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Donald Bradman
George Headley
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall
Sydney Barnes

12th Man: Jonty Rhodes

Substitutes- Courtney Walsh,Muttiah Muralitharan,Shane Warne,Alec Stewart
only 4 bowlers(out of which 2 are allrounders)? if one of them is injured your team is going to have some serious bowling problems :p

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that if we are selecting players who are the best at each position, the 12th man should be NZ's Michael Mason...he's carried the drinks so many times surely he's one of the best at doing it by now!

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
tooextracool said:
only 4 bowlers(out of which 2 are allrounders)? if one of them is injured your team is going to have some serious bowling problems :p
Sobers,Lara and Tendulkar can spin the ball that's why i put in only three bowlers.I'm going for batting strength to demoralise the opposition so that they can be routed easily.Also, my reserves are mainly bowlers.

tooextracool

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
Sobers,Lara and Tendulkar can spin the ball that's why i put in only three bowlers.I'm going for batting strength to demoralise the opposition so that they can be routed easily.Also, my reserves are mainly bowlers.
tendulkar is not a world class bowler and since when does lara bowl?i did include sobers but it sounds inane to go into a game with only 4 bowlers especially when this this a world XI.

tooextracool

International Coach
blackcapsrule said:
I havn't decided on my team yet but Sobers, Bradman and Richards will all be in my team
really?and here i am thinking your side will include rikki clarke,rob key and matt bell.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
really?and here i am thinking your side will include rikki clarke,rob key and matt bell.
I'm not surprised, given your knowledge of the game

Main Entry: barbed
Pronunciation: 'bärbd
Function: adjective
1 : having barbs
2 : characterized by pointed and biting criticism or sarcasm <barbed witticisms>

Call me 52, will you?
My age should be easy for everyone to remember - Ace to King, Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, Spades.
4 suits, 13 cards in each - 52 cards in a deck.

I am 51 - 1 card short of a full deck.

oh, wait...

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
key is a great choice, it's a known fact he'll be averaging 100 before this year is out, so no need for bradman.

blackcapsrule

State 12th Man
What are your guys problems, im not going to include any of your rubbish english players. What makes you think I have no knowledge for the game!