• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should partner Mark Richardson?

Andre

International Regular
Who do you think is the best option to partner Mark Richardson at the top of the New Zealand order?

masterblaster

International Captain
Matthew Sinclair, He got a double century on debut opening I think, against a Windies attack with Walsh and Ambrose!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah,

they should stick with Lou Vincent. Vincent can play the new ball quite well, Sinclair just doesn't move his feet enough & is a sitting duck for a decent test bowler.

I think Sinclair's future at test level is possibly 4 or 5.

Getting back to the openers position, I think there are two candidates, no make that three.

Lou Vincent, Gary Stead or Richard Jones (From Wellington) he is currently in Darwin with several other NZ players which makes me think that he is line after Vincent.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sinclair has no test future IMO. His footwork is poor to non-existent and once he's worked out (which he has been), he's dead. Stick to Lou Vincent.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As someone who's played a lot of cricket with Lou, stick with him! :D

Seriously, he's 300% of the player he was when we played together. He used to be awesome in the field but merely good with the bat. Now he's sorted his footwork and developed some off-side shots, damn he can score quickly. I used to lose count of how many times in practice I'd me bowl a bog standard out-swinger and see him nick it. Now, I'd not fancy bowling to him!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't write Sinclair out of the picture yet. But if he wants to gain his spot back in the test team, he's going to have to break his own beliefs (Sinclair thinks he doesn't need to work on his feet movement) and work hard.

There is also no question that if Sinclair got his batting technique in order that he'd be one of the best batsmen in the world because if he does stay in then you really get to see what he is capable of.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Lou Vincent could be used but I think he will one day take of the wicketkeeping. When he does this it would be a tough ask to open the innings after keeping for 100 overs or so.

I don't see Sinclair as an opener either . He has problems and needs to sort them out to play test cricket.

As for Gary Stead. I think if he was picked it would be fine for now but it isn't really looking to the future and I think about number 4 is his prefered place.

Some people that could work are.
Brendon McCullum
James Marshell
Richard Jones

Kimbo

International Debutant
stick with lou.. he is a top bloke. he plays at my club. so i am biased but he puts in a lot of work, is enthusiastic and talented