Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Hashim Amla retires from international cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Heboric View Post
    Yeah I remember he didnt start well at all, shows a lot of character how he came back stronger (better technique) when he was dropped.
    His eye hand co-ordination was phenomenal. After he adjust his stance a bit and thus played closer to his body, the proverbial 'base' was solid he just became the great player.

Unfortunately his dramatic decline was due to his great skill. It was obvious that the minute his eye hand co-ordination went his technique gave no place to go, unlike Kallis. He was always my favourite player to watch even when it was just because of the stature and calmness at the crease. Never seemed flustered.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Yes, his ODI performances were "statistically" all-time elite level. I know CW loves talking about "JAMODIs" and all that but jeez, those runs didn't make themselves. And no, it's not comparable to a player from the Netherlands making runs against fellow minnows.

Surely there's a very strong argument that Amla was a better ODI than test player. I thought it was a pretty self-evident starting point but apparently the argument for context in stats has been refined to the point that only performances in about 5% of games actually count.
    I don't hold that opinion at all though. It's just that if I had a choice between having Amla the test bat or Amla the ODI bat in my team, I'd choose Amla the test bat first.

A great player. However, right time to go. He was struggling for the past couple of years. Interesting to see the new era of South African cricket sans Steyn, AB, Amla, and JP

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    That innings was on another level. I never remember seeing an Australian attack brutalized like Amla brutalized that one. It wasn't even a poor attack either. He was just absolutely in the zone that day and took us apart like a three year old with their older sisters Barbie doll.
    Wasn't that the game where the whole first-choice attack was injured/fatigued and a whole new attack had to play and one of them was Hastings? I think it was about as poor an attack as a non-minnow would have put out. Still a great innings if course, especially in the context of the match and series

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Wasn't that the game where the whole first-choice attack was injured/fatigued and a whole new attack had to play and one of them was Hastings? I think it was about as poor an attack as a non-minnow would have put out. Still a great innings if course, especially in the context of the match and series
    Johnson, Stark and Lyon are not exactly what you call a bunch of ham and eggers

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I believe that was the game the Starc, Johnson, Hastings bowled out the SA team cheap which was then followed by Steyn and Philander taking apart the Aus top order.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Top player, one of the best for SA. Going to find it hard to replace him even if he has carried on a bit too long.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Smith played an underrated knock there too. He and Amla batted australia out of the game in basically one session. Went at over 6 rpo iirc.
    vcs likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heboric View Post
    Johnson, Stark and Lyon are not exactly what you call a bunch of ham and eggers
    nah Starc and Johnson weren't exactly world-beaters at that stage. There's a reason they weren't initially in the Test side and were only called in when literally every first-choice quick was injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    I believe that was the game the Starc, Johnson, Hastings bowled out the SA team cheap which was then followed by Steyn and Philander taking apart the Aus top order.
    If it's the same game I think it was, that's right. Aus looked shot. I think SA won that series at Adelaide tbh. After Aus couldn't bowl them out in 150 overs (or however long it was) all the momentum was with SA. And as I mentioned it exhausted their entire bowling attack.

I'd actually rate Faf's adelaide knock as the key one in that serious

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    That innings was on another level. I never remember seeing an Australian attack brutalized like Amla brutalized that one. It wasn't even a poor attack either. He was just absolutely in the zone that day and took us apart like a three year old with their older sisters Barbie doll.
    AB 2nd test last tour. Stronger attack, and one that was 1000 times more threatening on the day.

Farewell you bearded menace.

The pity was seeing him degenerate for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    i like many come to cw to briefly escape the pain of mediocre and obscure existence by being mediocre and obscure on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitycreeper View Post
    been speakin to this lass for a while finally got her round muy house. whakcd on netflix and told her to pick a film. big mistake cos she picked ****in footlose. 2 hours of torture and she dint even blow me. shambles. safe to say we arent talkin no more

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...tralia-2012-13

South Africa made 225 in their first innings, so relatively cheaply. But that second innings is completely ridiculous - 569 at 5 an over.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    I mean if you want to score fast runs, that's not a difficult attack to do it against. Still a really important innings given the context though. **** he was gun for that 4-5 year period. Was arguably the best batsman in the world for that period. Shame his decline was so dragged out to the point where I think his reputation has probably taken an unfair hit.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    If he'd quit two years ago, he'd have retired with an average of 50 in well over 100 tests with 28 hundreds and runs all over the world. At that point, his statistics were as impressive in volume and quality as many ATGs yet because he carried on, he "only" averages 46. It's so weird how these things work out and makes it so tough to evaluate careers properly.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 09-08-2019 at 07:44 AM.
    vcs and trundler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    If he'd quit two years ago, he'd have retired with an average of 50 in well over 100 tests with 28 hundreds and runs all over the world. At that point, his statistics were as impressive in volume and quality as many ATGs yet because he carried on, he "only" averages 46. It's so weird how these things work out and makes it so tough to evaluate careers properly.
    Wasn't his average mostly around that 50 - 52 mark? I think most ATGs have a little more buffer and so end up still averaging in the 50s by the time they retire. I think he's had a very drastic decline though. Don't remember anyone in recent times with such a decline.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information