• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla retires from international cricket

thierry henry

International Coach
He was a greater test bat than an ODI bat for me. He did exceptional things in test cricket, but couldn't emulate that sort of performance in ODIs.
I mean, I know some of the arguments for this POV (lot of runs against weaker opposition etc) but still, statistically there is a pretty big gap which I would say warrants a fair bit of justification being required in support of your opinion.

Statistically he was pretty much an ODI phenom

thierry henry

International Coach
Is this just one of those in-group CW things, like everyone knows that despite re-writing the record books Amla wasn't actually a good ODI player?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasn't Amla the fastest to 6k, 7k and 8k runs? He was phenomenal. His reputation as a JAMODI bully is well earned though

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard to believe how good he became given how gunge his start in test cricket was. Only averaged 25 after his first 15 tests - full credit to the selectors for persevering with him.

Sad to see the final break up of such a great side, though I've got few doubts that SA will bounce back quickly enough.

thierry henry

International Coach
Wasn't Amla the fastest to 6k, 7k and 8k runs? He was phenomenal. His reputation as a JAMODI bully is well earned though
Yes, his ODI performances were "statistically" all-time elite level. I know CW loves talking about "JAMODIs" and all that but jeez, those runs didn't make themselves. And no, it's not comparable to a player from the Netherlands making runs against fellow minnows.

Surely there's a very strong argument that Amla was a better ODI than test player. I thought it was a pretty self-evident starting point but apparently the argument for context in stats has been refined to the point that only performances in about 5% of games actually count.

TheJediBrah

Is this just one of those in-group CW things, like everyone knows that despite re-writing the record books Amla wasn't actually a good ODI player?
I don't actually know, I've just heard people on here talk about it and when I don't know things (which is very rare) I tend to just follow along with popular opinion

And no, it's not comparable to a player from the Netherlands making runs against fellow minnows.
I wasn't comparing them, just using the example to illustrate a point

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
The 300, the epic 190-odd against Aus where he was batting in one day mode and those daddy hundreds India. Man, there are so many Amla moments. Just a great role model and example in the sport. Gonna miss the Mighty#.

Still think that Perth match was their best match against Australia post isolation

It's hard to believe how good he became given how gunge his start in test cricket was. Only averaged 25 after his first 15 tests - full credit to the selectors for persevering with him.

Sad to see the final break up of such a great side, though I've got few doubts that SA will bounce back quickly enough.
Yeah I remember he didnt start well at all, shows a lot of character how he came back stronger (better technique) when he was dropped.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That innings was on another level. I never remember seeing an Australian attack brutalized like Amla brutalized that one. It wasn't even a poor attack either. He was just absolutely in the zone that day and took us apart like a three year old with their older sisters Barbie doll.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I remember he didnt start well at all, shows a lot of character how he came back stronger (better technique) when he was dropped.
His eye hand co-ordination was phenomenal. After he adjust his stance a bit and thus played closer to his body, the proverbial 'base' was solid he just became the great player.

Unfortunately his dramatic decline was due to his great skill. It was obvious that the minute his eye hand co-ordination went his technique gave no place to go, unlike Kallis. He was always my favourite player to watch even when it was just because of the stature and calmness at the crease. Never seemed flustered.

Burner

International Regular
Yes, his ODI performances were "statistically" all-time elite level. I know CW loves talking about "JAMODIs" and all that but jeez, those runs didn't make themselves. And no, it's not comparable to a player from the Netherlands making runs against fellow minnows.

Surely there's a very strong argument that Amla was a better ODI than test player. I thought it was a pretty self-evident starting point but apparently the argument for context in stats has been refined to the point that only performances in about 5% of games actually count.
I don't hold that opinion at all though. It's just that if I had a choice between having Amla the test bat or Amla the ODI bat in my team, I'd choose Amla the test bat first.

IndikaJ

Cricket Spectator
A great player. However, right time to go. He was struggling for the past couple of years. Interesting to see the new era of South African cricket sans Steyn, AB, Amla, and JP

TheJediBrah

That innings was on another level. I never remember seeing an Australian attack brutalized like Amla brutalized that one. It wasn't even a poor attack either. He was just absolutely in the zone that day and took us apart like a three year old with their older sisters Barbie doll.
Wasn't that the game where the whole first-choice attack was injured/fatigued and a whole new attack had to play and one of them was Hastings? I think it was about as poor an attack as a non-minnow would have put out. Still a great innings if course, especially in the context of the match and series

Heboric

International Debutant
Wasn't that the game where the whole first-choice attack was injured/fatigued and a whole new attack had to play and one of them was Hastings? I think it was about as poor an attack as a non-minnow would have put out. Still a great innings if course, especially in the context of the match and series
Johnson, Stark and Lyon are not exactly what you call a bunch of ham and eggers

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I believe that was the game the Starc, Johnson, Hastings bowled out the SA team cheap which was then followed by Steyn and Philander taking apart the Aus top order.

flibbertyjibber

Top player, one of the best for SA. Going to find it hard to replace him even if he has carried on a bit too long.

OverratedSanity

Smith played an underrated knock there too. He and Amla batted australia out of the game in basically one session. Went at over 6 rpo iirc.

TheJediBrah

Johnson, Stark and Lyon are not exactly what you call a bunch of ham and eggers
nah Starc and Johnson weren't exactly world-beaters at that stage. There's a reason they weren't initially in the Test side and were only called in when literally every first-choice quick was injured.
I believe that was the game the Starc, Johnson, Hastings bowled out the SA team cheap which was then followed by Steyn and Philander taking apart the Aus top order.
If it's the same game I think it was, that's right. Aus looked shot. I think SA won that series at Adelaide tbh. After Aus couldn't bowl them out in 150 overs (or however long it was) all the momentum was with SA. And as I mentioned it exhausted their entire bowling attack.

I'd actually rate Faf's adelaide knock as the key one in that serious

Bolo

State Captain
AB 2nd test last tour. Stronger attack, and one that was 1000 times more threatening on the day.