Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Do your think wel ever see another player reach 100 FC hundreds again?

Do your think wel ever see another player reach 100 FC hundreds again?

Only Hick and Ramprakash have reached the milestone in the last twenty years and it was achieved due to them playing enormous amounts of county games since they couldn’t hold permanent test spots. You need to be a great destroyer of mediocre bowling but not good enough to always be playing international cricket as the hundreds come along more scarcely in that arena.

There’s also the issue of more and more t20 cricket of course. I think Gary Ballance is the best shot but ultimately think it’ll never happen again
    Last edited by mr_mister; 08-08-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    cricket rules brah

Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Poll

Yes
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    No

Yes.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Steve Smith

I have a feeling he'll be peeling off tons in the Sheffield Shield well into his 40s.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Long shot, but maybe Alastair Cook if he plays until he's 40.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Ballance and Cook are extreme outsiders. I wouldn't say "never" as times change. There's a famous piece of commentary by Richie Benaud when Fred Trueman reached 300 Test wickets saying that it would never happen again in the history of Test Cricket. That took only 11 years to happen again, and some less than immortal bowlers have reached it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Ballance and Cook are extreme outsiders. I wouldn't say "never" as times change. There's a famous piece of commentary by Richie Benaud when Fred Trueman reached 300 Test wickets saying that it would never happen again in the history of Test Cricket. That took only 11 years to happen again, and some less than immortal bowlers have reached it since.
    An uppercut to Jimmy Anderson out of nowhere.
    BoyBrumby and Daemon like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Never is a long time, but I can't see it happening in my lifetime.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    The next fastest to the mark after Bradman (295 innings) is Compton with 552 innings. Cook has played 531 innings and only has 65, it will take him 819 innings if he went at his career production rate, which I feel is unlikely in this stage of his career. If he did make the mark, at his career yearly rate he might be only around 43, but I don't see him scoring that much at this stage (only one century so far this year, for example). Ballance scores his at a significantly better rate (one per 6.4 innings against 8.2), but if he doubles his career matches in, say one less year than the first half, that will take him to 80 at age 40 without accounting for any fall off, actually making the mark would take him past 45, again I don't see it. Realistically his production would fall off far sooner.

That's all without accounting for the ECB likely reducing first class fixtures at some point in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Steve Smith

I have a feeling he'll be peeling off tons in the Sheffield Shield well into his 40s.
    The most Shield hundreds is 45 by Lehmann, and he only did it because he spent years not being selected for internationals. Only four non-English players have done it, Bradman, Abbas, Richards and Turner, only 25 have done it in total.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Only four non-English players have done it, Bradman, Abbas, Richards and Turner, only 25 have done it in total.
    &, of those, Braddles the only one not to have played significant amounts of county cricket.

I struggle to believe we'll see it again, but if Smith retires from tests at a relatively early age (and frankly I think he should ) and fancies a crack at the CC he might be a shout.

British passport holder so he wouldn't even count as overseas.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Rory Burns wafted and whooshed, hit a few, edged a few more and batted at times with all the graceful serenity of a man trying to force his way head-first through a privet hedge." - Barney Ronay on the Surrey opener's maiden test ton

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    The next fastest to the mark after Bradman (295 innings) is Compton with 552 innings. Cook has played 531 innings and only has 65, it will take him 819 innings if he went at his career production rate, which I feel is unlikely in this stage of his career. If he did make the mark, at his career yearly rate he might be only around 43, but I don't see him scoring that much at this stage (only one century so far this year, for example). Ballance scores his at a significantly better rate (one per 6.4 innings against 8.2), but if he doubles his career matches in, say one less year than the first half, that will take him to 80 at age 40 without accounting for any fall off, actually making the mark would take him past 45, again I don't see it. Realistically his production would fall off far sooner.

That's all without accounting for the ECB likely reducing first class fixtures at some point in the not too distant future.
    Bottom line is I don 't think Cook will reach 100 hundreds either. However, it's maybe worth considering how many of his existing FC innings were in test matches, which won't happen in the future.

Who cares about first class records anymore. They were a thing in days of Grace and Hobbs.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Man I never realised how little FC cricket Smith has actually played. Only 119 games, out of which more than half are Tests. And he's 30. Ridiculous

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Australian test regulars basically never play Sheffield Shield any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information