• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson vs Andrew Symonds (ODIs)

Cast Your Vote

• Watson better batsman, Symonds better AR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't Split as batsmen, Watson better AR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The last poll option is: Can't Split as batsmen, Symonds better AR
Please vote for "v" if you think that.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel like Watson was actually better, but Symonds struck more fear in me.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's hard to split them as all rounders or batsmen imo. Watson always seemed a more reliable bowler, and he bowled an average of 6 overs per game, as opposed to Symond's 5. If Watson was in bowling form i'd have less reservations about him bowling at the death than Symonds.

As batsmen they played very different roles. Watson became a force at the top of the order, one of the best openers of all time imo, and Symonds played the floating role perfectly, spending considerable time in all batting slots and basically coming in ideally at around the 30-35 over mark to accelerate. Once again, there aren't many if any who were better at this than Roy.

Symonds does have the fielding string to his bow, he was a truly phenomenal fielder in the inner ring- most likely the best I have seen, and when we had Ponting, Clarke, Symonds and Hogg all in the inner ring it was something else.

Very difficult to split them, if I could only take one, I would usually take Symonds all things considered, but if the one you chose was required to bowl a full ten overs, I might pick Watson instead.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Too hard to compare, completely different roles with bat and ball.

About the same level IMO

thierry henry

International Coach
Surely there's a pretty big gap in the bowling? Symond's stats are fairly poor, but I actually recall him as a poorer bowler even than his stats show. Like he really wasn't much of a bowler, right? Nude spin and gumby 125kph filth.

TheJediBrah

Symonds was a better bowler at the start of his career. He was a much more useful ODI bowler than Tests, predominantly with his off-spin.

Also keep in mind Watson didn't even bowl for about half the games he played, maybe more, because he was constantly injured.

thierry henry

International Coach
Still reckon a fit Watto was a proper international medium-fast bowler of "proper all-rounder" standard whereas Symonds was a batsman who could bowl a bit if required.

TheJediBrah

That's a fair statement. There was a period where Watto would almost have made the ODI team purely on his bowling

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Was a shame Watson was constantly injured. I remember when he first came into the test team he was bowling 140kms.

He would have been amazing in the test team as the third seamer behind McGrath and Dizzy which would have allowed us to play Warne and MacGill more, maybe. Especially with Gilly batting at 7.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Watson is a bit overrated actually. He was very good but there have been a lot more openers who did what Watson did than there have been middle order batsmen who did what Symonds did.

Symonds really would have loved playing more matches in Asian conditions I think. Australian grounds were a bit too big for his style.

Gob

International Coach
I think Watson is a bit overrated actually. He was very good but there have been a lot more openers who did what Watson did than there have been middle order batsmen who did what Symonds did.

Symonds really would have loved playing more matches in Asian conditions I think. Australian grounds were a bit too big for his style.
What?