• Symonds better batsman, Symonds better AR

0 0%
  • Can't Split as batsmen, Watson better AR

0 0%
  • v

4 25.00%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Shane Watson vs Andrew Symonds (ODIs)

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I agree Symonds is the best of them, but can't agree that line up would stack up against a stronger batting unit. Much as I love him to bit's, you are going to get laughed out of town naming Paul Collingwood in a World ATG side.
    I'm not naming Collingwood in an ATG side. I am saying that a combo that places full emphasis on elite inner ring fielding in an ODI match will stack up well against a team with marginally better batters who are poorer fielders. It would make a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

Currently 10 to 4 for Watson being the better AR.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    Symonds did the zinc sunscreen better than most too. It's got to be worth something.

My favourite thing about Symonds, aside from his big hitting was the way he could chase a ball down, dive on the ground and slide on his chest then get up and return the ball to the stumps at lights speed. I don't know how anyone can calculate this retrospectively, but my thought is he would have saved many more runs in the field, just through his presence, than Watson would have saved in bowling economy. Who, in their right mind would take that run when you have hit it in his vicinity, until it was well past him? A run saved every time the ball went near him. I am also a believer that a team of fielding guns would be worth heaps in keeping an oppositions run rate down. I just have no idea how you would stat that.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I never saw Harper but Chris Harris was not in the class of Ponting, Symonds or Rhodes, let alone better
    yes but you think symonds gets in a world atg xi so we've already confirmed your eyesight sucks
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Symonds over Watson cause id much rather sink beer and catch fish with Symonds.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    I’ll the batsmen who average more at a quicker rate thanks. I know you have this massive hard on for Symonds to the extent that you quite ridiculously pick him as an all rounder for an all time eleven but truth is there are better options.
    Avoiding the question

No, it wont be the "the batsmen who average more at a quicker rate thanks". We're talking about batsmen who clear the rope more frequently and safely. With the bat, that's the role he's being selected for.
    Last edited by Red Hill; 13-08-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    yes but you think symonds gets in a world atg xi so we've already confirmed your eyesight sucks
    What are your reasons for thinking he doesn't belong in an ATG side?

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Avoiding the question

No, it wont be the "the batsmen who average more at a quicker rate thanks". We're talking about batsmen who clear the rope more frequently and safely. With the bat, that's the role he's being selected for.
    Watson was/is pretty unmatched when clearing the rope tbf. When he gets on a role against spinners especially, done it plenty in T20 cricket and remember the 186* off ~90 balls against Bangladesh? Was dropping their left arm spinners into the stands with little effort

Let's be honest, Symonds was good but he's no Chris Harris or Scott Styris

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    he's not as good as many other odi middle order batsmen. he doesn't even make my australian one.

hayden
    gilchrist
    ponting
    jones
    bevan
    hussey
    watson

ftr

australian cw posting, internet posting being the be all end all of cricket fandom obviously, really is getting more and more one eyed and isolationist. you don't even have benchmark here prattling about alex doolan and kfc to blame. get a grip on yourselves.

australian cw posting, internet posting being the be all end all of cricket fandom obviously, really is getting more and more one eyed and isolationist.
    At the risk of turning this into a "no u" argument, this would really be more accurate with regard to NZ cw posting than Australian. You just don't notice it because you're in the bubble.

At the risk of turning this into a "no u" argument, this would really be more accurate with regard to NZ cw posting than Australian. You just don't notice it because you're in the bubble.
    Really not accurate. I shudder to think of the shitshow this forum would have devolved into had it been Australia that England tied with in the WC final and beaten on boundary count.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Really not accurate. I shudder to think of the shitshow this forum would have devolved into had it been Australia that England tied with in the WC final and beaten on boundary count.
    That's a completely different metric though. I agree with your example, but when it comes to overrating their own players and generally living in a bubble regarding their own team, NZ fans have easily been the worst in my time here. Hasn't been that bad lately though, I'll admit. A few of the worst in that regard don't seem to post anymore

edit: I agree that the Kiwis (mostly) definitely took the WC final "result" extremely well. I think you're right that it would have been very different if it were England, or say Australia or India for that matter, in their position.
    Last edited by TheJediBrah; 13-08-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    he's not as good as many other odi middle order batsmen. he doesn't even make my australian one.

hayden
    gilchrist
    ponting
    jones
    bevan
    hussey
    watson

ftr

australian cw posting, internet posting being the be all end all of cricket fandom obviously, really is getting more and more one eyed and isolationist. you don't even have benchmark here prattling about alex doolan and kfc to blame. get a grip on yourselves.
    Watson shouldn't be batting 7 in a lineup like that. From memory he was only really good as an ODI opener.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Watson shouldn't be batting 7 in a lineup like that. From memory he was only really good as an ODI opener.
    He never really played outside the top 3 during his peak period. He'd probably do a great job at no.7 but you're picking a player in a sport he never really played much in.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    He never really played outside the top 3 during his peak period. He'd probably do a great job at no.7 but you're picking a player in a sport he never really played much in.
    He did bat a lot at 7, but from memory he wasn’t all that good. Though granted he was still quite young at the time.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information