• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Elects! ODI Team of the Decade

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rohit Sharma
Hashim Amla
Virat Kohli
Shakib Al Hasan
AB DeVilliers
MS Dhoni +
Angelo Mathews
Mitchell Starc
Morne Morkel
Saeed Ajmal
Trent Boult
Pretty sure we're electing a cricketing XI not a baseball one.

morgieb

Strangely I get the feeling the current World Champions will have very few contenders for this side.

Rohit and Warner would be my choice ahead of Bairstow and Roy.
Doesn't help that your ODI side was largely turd for half the decade. Has been great since then but ultimately enough of your batsmen I suspect fall just short.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Plus they can't be trusted on unfriendly pitches as much as some of the other batsmen.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The team logically would be:

Rohit Sharma
Warner/Amla
Kohli
R Taylor
AB
Dhoni (wk)
Shakib
Starc
Malinga
Boult
Tahir

The major problems are the lack of a decent 6th bowler and a very long tail.

Perhaps open with Sangakkara or QDK and drop Dhoni for another allrounder, or drop Taylor for an allrounder to give another bowling option. This is why I thought Dilshan could open and be the 6th bowler.

Re the issue with the tail Malinga or Boult could be replaced with someone who bats better, or Tahir replaced replaced by Afridi. It is a shame that Faulkner didn't play more games because he could've been at no 8.

trundler

Rohit and Warner get through reasonably comfortably.

Now pick your 2 opening bowlers who will usually bowl 10 each.

morgieb

Starc and Bumrah.

Bumrah probably a bit 50/50 based on longevity but all the other options aren't that special.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
His WC record is nowhere near as good as Starc if you take out 2007 (which given we're picking a 2010-2019 team, you should).
Malinga is miles ahead for the most wickets since 2010.

Malinga 248, Shakib 177, Tahir 173, Starc 172, Perera 171, Jadeja 168, Boult 164...

He might've played more games and not been outstanding average-wise but it is like leaving Anderson out of a test team of the decade (but even less contentious).

morgieb

Malinga is miles ahead for the most wickets since 2010.

Malinga 248, Shakib 177, Tahir 173, Starc 172, Perera 171, Jadeja 168, Boult 164...

He might've played more games and not been outstanding average-wise but it is like leaving Anderson out of a test team of the decade (but even less contentious).
Ehhh, his average is much worse than Anderson's is during the timephase.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Starc and Steyn

I guess the other contenders would be Bumrah (too short time period) , Boult (already have a lefty in Starc) and Malinga (Average is quite a bit higher than the other names)