• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Dale Steyn stack up historically

How good was Steyn as a pace bowler?

• Total voters

Logan

U19 Captain
My ATG eleven will have Marshall, Steyn, McGrath, Imran and Muralitharan. That is a lineup that can dismiss pretty much any batting lineup.

Kirkut

International Regular
Bowls with a lot of heart, even in IPL he would come up with great spells simply by adding zest to his bowling on flat pitches.

Kirkut

International Regular
The only difference between Steyn and Marshall is the inswing, otherwise similar bowlers with Steyn possibly quicker.

Bolo

State Captain
Yes. 165 top-order batsmen.
Sounds like a whole lot of effort went into this. Thanks for that.

But the stats don't really mean much (like just about every other attempt at in depth stats in this thread).

Two reasons. Firstly because we dont have ball by ball data for other atgs to compare to.

Secondly, because if you break them down, they actually dont show he was particularly strong against the tail. 28 against the top and 10 against the tail is actually proportional assuming the top averaged just over 40 and the tail averaged mid to late teens, which sounds about right for his era.

All it shows is that he was a significantly better bowler than typical for his era, and that the top bats better than the tail- not exactly revelations.

In the first half of his career he looked like he might end up the best new ball bowler ever, but wasn't much of an old ball bowler by atg standards. Late in his career he had turned into one of the best old ball bowlers ever, but was (the odd spell notwithstanding) a bit weak with the new ball when we are comparing him to guys like McGrath

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
My ATG eleven will have Marshall, Steyn, McGrath, Imran and Muralitharan. That is a lineup that can dismiss pretty much any batting lineup.
A bowler too much imo. Probably worth a try in a timeless test in an insanely flat pitch. I generally go with Imran, Hadlee, Marshall, Warne/Murali (#batdeep) but can obviously see value in the team you picked as well.

Logan

U19 Captain
A bowler too much imo. Probably worth a try in a timeless test in an insanely flat pitch. I generally go with Imran, Hadlee, Marshall, Warne/Murali (#batdeep) but can obviously see value in the team you picked as well.
Marshall, Steyn, McGrath and Murali are my bowlers. Imran is my all rounder pick ahead of Sobers/Kallis. Gavaskar, Hobbs, Bradman, Sachin, Richards and Andy Flower are the batsmen in my team.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Gavaskar, Hutton , Bradman , Sachin , Lara , Sobers , Gilly , Procter , Hadlee , Akram , Murali
(Or Gavaskar , Hutton, Bradman, Sachin , Sobers , Gilly , Procter , Imran , Hadlee , Akram , Murali )

2nd 11

Hobbs , Barry Richards, Viv , Hammond, Headley , Knott , Imran , Kapil , Marshall , Warne , Lillee

3rd 11

Trumper , Sutcliffe , Kallis , G.Chappell , Pollock , Ames , Miller , Botham , O'Reilly , Steyn , McGrath

Barnes , Grace and Ranji not considered.

Slifer

International Captain
Might as well do mine:

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman*
Viv
Sachin
Sobers
Gilchrist+
Imran
Hadlee